Watch Help

This is a discussion on Watch Help within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't worn a watch in a very long time. I started looking and there are just way too many choices. Looking on this forum ...

Thread: Watch Help

Watch Help

I haven't worn a watch in a very long time. I started looking and there are just way too many choices. Looking on this forum and researching else where has lead me in circles.

Here are a few features I'm looking for.

Crown- about 44mm
    Band- Stainless steel
    Price- Around $100
    Water Resistance- Not a huge factor on depth
    Face- Larger
    Night-time illumination- I would prefer something that is easy to see.
    Digital or Analog- I prefer to stick with Analog
    Easy maintenance and battery changes

I've looked at Fossil, Seiko, Citizen, Casio etc....

I appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I've found Victorinox and Wenger to be the best balance of quality and price; I'm sure either of them will have a model that fits your needs. If you look hard enough, I'm also sure that you can find one within your budget too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Romans: I am going to try to talk you into saving a $100 bucks. then let you spend it on something else. :)
    If you have not worn a watch in a very lone time why start now. We already have more time keeping devises around us than we need. Every building we enter, cars,cell phones. If you need to check a watch every 5 minutes you are way too busy. Please slow down a little it's much healthier.

Please don't take this wrong it is just my way of saying i have not worn a watch in a long long time either. And hope I never will again.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I've found Victorinox and Wenger to be the best balance of quality and price; I'm sure either of them will have a model that fits your needs. If you look hard enough, I'm also sure that you can find one within your budget too.

I tried a Wenger Grenadier on today and it fit my wants in a watch pretty well.

I think this Wenger looks better it's a standard issue.

I kind of like this one for some reason but I hear so many mixed reviews about Invicta.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Around that price you can find a used Seiko Black Monster or 007. Both very nice dive watches. Seikos rock- George

Luminox... Luminox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I do ask myself why do I need a watch? Does my cell phone not have the time?

I do love my Luminox...models and pricing varies...but seldom under 2 C-notes....gotta' shop around.

If you divide the price over the next 25 years...$300 (average price) = $1 a day...if that's too much, keep the 'cell phone time', get a pocket watch, or just go with a Timex (much cheaper and still dependable watches).

Have fun shopping!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Somehow I have accumulated a variety of watches from low end Timex to higher end ORIS. I bought my son an expensive Ebel, and my wife a Baum-Merceier-- mega bucks watch which sits in the jewelry box. In the end they all eventually break or get badly out of style.

When new ALL do well keeping time. Especially, when they are digital. Some of the analogs do better than others. None really last "forever."

For me, the key is how easily can I change the battery by myself.

My kinetic Seiko watch (wonderful in all ways) has a nasty habit of not working every few years and needs repeated factory service.

My mechanical (and expensive) watch requires factory service every three years and if past experience predicts the future, it will not last 10 years-- besides style changes over time and a 10 year old watch often looks like a 10 year old watch.

Swatch watches have very easy to change batteries. Fossil, you'll have to get someone else to change it. In my experience with most you will lose some water resistance when you change the battery as the O rings will never quite get back in place.

So, with that long introduction, if you are looking for jewelry, buy a high end watch that will serve as jewelry.

If you are looking for a reliable everyday watch, you don't even need to get up to the 100 dollar mark. There are plenty of good watches for half to a third of that price. Buy down and treat the watch as a disposable item.

I've drowned some of my "expensive" dive watches by actually diving. Other good watches have come with "irreplaceable" straps that broke after a year or two. The highest end watch (which my wife owns) needs a factory authorized dealer to change the battery, and none of the present jewelry stores in town are such.

Timex, Casio, Citizens, Swatch, and many other brands, all make something you will like. Just shop around in the local stores and the national chain stores. You can hardly go wrong.
    Last edited by Hopyard; May 9th, 2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: to correct spelling

I have been wearing a casio g shock for about 2 yrs now. It meets all of your reqs but 1 and that would be the analog part. its solar powered, and uses the "atomic clock" signal from colorado ( i think) to reset the time every night. it was around 79 bucks if I'm not mistaken.

Timex Indiglo. Well under $100, dial lighting is more reliable than the luminous types, sufficiently water- and shock-resistant for outdoor, sportsman type activites, and you won't cry if you lose it. Also cheap enough that there aren't $50 knock-offs available on eBay!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Skagen makes some good, inexpensive watches that would fit your requirements. Are you flexible with your requirements at all? I've worn all the "tough" watches, and have killed every one of em. Luminox, toasted after 2 years. Marathon (the Gov't issued model thats apparently indestructible) killed after 3 years. If you are flexible on your requirements, I urge you to take a look at a cheapo Casio G-shock. Get a model thats solar, and atomic. Solar because it will never require a battery change (saving the "waterproof" seal!!!!) and atomic so you never have to set it. You literally dont have to do a darn thing to this watch, ever. I wear mine 24/7 (even to bed) and beat the holy hell out of it at work, in my garage, and doing yardwork. Two years and it still operates like brand new. I have the highest expectations for this watch, even though it was the least expensive. The model I use is a awg-101. Heres a link. Amazon.com: Casio Men's AWG101-1A G-Shock Multi-Band Solar Atomic Analog Watch: Casio: Sports & Outdoors (First one I clicked after I googled it.....$85, shipped) I dont mean to talk you out of your criteria, but if you are flexible, this is a super option. The Skagen, Luminox, Marathon brands are sexier, sure. They all advertise being tough, but in my opinion, the G-shock has yet to be beaten.

I was at Target today and found a cheap watch for $7.84 on clearance. Meets almost all what I'm looking for: stainless steel,larger crown, larger face, analog, and is visible at night. After the cashier rang it up it came to an additional price off and only cost $3.74. Yeah its not the build quality as a Seiko, Casio etc.. but hey it was $4.00

Thanks Hopyard

I'll wear this for awhile until I can really decide on a watch I would like to keep for a few years.
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

VIP Member

re: Romans623

Quote Originally Posted by Romans623 View Post
    I was at Target today and found a cheap watch for $7.84 on clearance. Meets almost all what I'm looking for: stainless steel,larger crown, larger face, analog, and is visible at night. After the cashier rang it up it came to an additional price off and only cost $3.74. Yeah its not the build quality as a Seiko, Casio etc.. but hey it was $4.00

Thanks Hopyard

I'll wear this for awhile until I can really decide on a watch I would like to keep for a few years.
    Don't be too surprised if your el-cheap from Target lasts lots longer than you think it will. Chances are the only thing that will go wrong is the strap will tear, and then maybe you will find that it is cheaper to buy another el-cheapo at Target than to buy a new strap.

$3.74, what's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Don't be too surprised if your el-cheap from Target lasts lots longer than you think it will. Chances are the only thing that will go wrong is the strap will tear, and then maybe you will find that it is cheaper to buy another el-cheapo at Target than to buy a new strap.

$3.74, what's not to like?
    I read their warranty card and they want $9 to repair and ship if broken. For some reason if it breaks I don't see myself repairing it. I just need to buy a kit to remove links as needed.

For those who like bling I came across this tonight.

www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Links