Tips for Sights

This is a discussion on Tips for Sights within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys and gals I've been doing some experimenting and here's my conclusions. If you're having difficulty seeing your sights try this color combo, flouresent ...

Thread: Tips for Sights

Tips for Sights

Hey guys and gals

I've been doing some experimenting and here's my conclusions.
    If you're having difficulty seeing your sights try this color combo, flouresent orange and flouresent green.

Now for the real tip.
    I've tried model paint and special gunsight paint but the most durable "optic optimiser" that I've found is...Nail Polish.

The other finishes seem to rub off or peel off in a very short amount of time but the nail polish has now held up for weeks.

Let me know what you think.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Yup...nail polish is available in every color these days.

yes you can get some outlandish nail polish i just ask my niece for some

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Since I wont be first,I'll go ahead and admit that I use nail polish also. (THERE,I'm outta the closet,WHEW !!)

For the person that keeps refuseing to wear glasses the following is what I use.

From>>Blue Cross Beauty Products;Heaven Nail Lacquor;.5 fl.oz.;color is Serenity.

This is 'bout the brightest hotter 'en hell bright pink/orange that I have ever seen. I use this on front sights,some rear sights and some mag floor plates. Anything that you want to see at a very quick glance. I even dab a bit on certin keys for a quick ID.

Also on the "controls" of some of the carbines that I compete with.(mag release,slide release,bolt release,etc.) For me,it seems to take away some of the blued on blued thing when trying to find a control very quickly. --------

Now thats Scary RSSZ ya even have a preferred make and color

VIP Member
    Now I'm curious. Are you guys actually brave enough to buy it yourself or do you find a lady to get it for you?
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I have used fingernail polish to finish hard to reach spaces when finishing rifle stocks, clear only. I buy it myself............but if the clerk gives me "the look" I say it is for my wife. So far, I have only had to buy one bottle...

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Good ? Betty. I actually buy it myself. The thing that is "tramatic" for me is when asked,"whatcha gonna do with that"? When I say pistol sights,I always get a little gasp from the teller. I've had very dirty looks also. When I'm wearing the footware of choice in Fla.,(flip flops) I tell them I'm gonna go home and paint my toes.

I use the clear polish if I want to keep a screw from backing out but do not want the permanance of LocTite(blue).Also for the little knots and stiches while making weapon slings and "beefing up" holsters and web gear. After the knot is tied with sailmakers thread(waxed nylon)I apply a small drop of clear fingernail polish on it to seal the knot from coming undone.

I also go thru a fair ammount of pantyhose. You don't really want to know what I use them for do you ?? --------

i have used nail polish on several wheel guns. you can find just about any color you want.

After about a year, about 8000 rounds, and numerous cleanings, my factory white dots began to dull.

I found that model paint did the trick. The brand is "Model Master" and the colors are "Russian Marker Yellow" (front) and "Flourescent Red" (rear). The contrasting colors allow for quicker acquistion of the front sight, and the paint has lasted for many months, several thousand rounds, and several cleanings.

The picture was taken in low light, but in the sunlight, the front sight really pops (and the rear is more orange).
    XD 9mm Sub-compact
    XD 9mm Tactical

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Yup...nail polish is available in every color these days.
    Including glow in the dark colors. Which is what all my guns that do not have TFO sights on them have. If the clerk wants to misinterpret my bent he is welcome to put it in my hand and we will see how far it stretches before it gets ripped off
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links