Network Surveillance Camera- my setup

This is a discussion on Network Surveillance Camera- my setup within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I came across a wireless Network Surveillance Camera for $60 on sale a while ago. I ordered one and set it up... It is a ...

Thread: Network Surveillance Camera- my setup

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

Network Surveillance Camera- my setup

I came across a wireless Network Surveillance Camera for $60 on sale a while ago. I ordered one and set it up...

It is a surveillance camera that you can connect to your computer through ethernet or wireless via your router.

I don't want to post photos of my house, so here is the same camera setup as a webcam: Wireless IP Web Cam How To

TRENDnet TV-IP100W-N. Reliability has been good. Wireless range is the same as my home network- max of about 40 feet indoors. Nighttime video is not great, but coupled with a motion detector light, it is fine. It is intended to be used inside (optional $100 exterior box) but I just put it under my overhang. It will stay dry...

Newegg.com - TRENDnet TV-IP100W-N 640 x 480 MAX Resolution RJ45 ProView Wireless Internet Camera

The software has motion detection so it only records when there is activity. You can also set it up to email you photos of the motion. Vitamin D is really quick to review the footage. There is a free version or you can buy the 2 camera version:

vitamin d : home

I used to use:
    EvoCam

It is quick to review if someone is at the door and comforting to know if someone breaks in, there will be some sort of record.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

2. Remove Ads

Just make sure you have taken the necessary steps to secure that wireless network. You don't want to give someone else the ability to surveil your house from afar.

Better yet...split your wireless network. I have old WEP based cameras but run the meat of my wireless network on WPA2. Works great and I can buy old technology cameras at cheaper prices.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

Sounds like a great setup. The record-on-motion feature is great.

Quote Originally Posted by rickmn50 View Post
    Better yet...split your wireless network. I have old WEP based cameras but run the meat of my wireless network on WPA2. Works great and I can buy old technology cameras at cheaper prices.
    If you do this, firewall off the "camera network" from the rest of your network. You can do that by enabling the firewall on the WEP router and allowing only the one port used for the cameras to pass through. Otherwise, a teenager with a laptop could crack your WEP network (in about 15 minutes...) and have access to other sections of your network.

By chance, does anyone know of semi-affordable, outdoor-rated network security cameras with Linux-compatible software?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    By chance, does anyone know of semi-affordable, outdoor-rated network security cameras with Linux-compatible software?
    For Linux-compatible software check out Zoneminder. It is a opensource (free) project built to do exactly what we are talking about.

Links