GunVault Mini Problem

GunVault Mini Problem

This is a discussion on GunVault Mini Problem within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Purchased a GunVault Mini about six weeks ago. Figured it would give me quick access to my weapon and do a fair job of keeping ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GunVault Mini Problem

GunVault Mini Problem

Purchased a GunVault Mini about six weeks ago. Figured it would give me quick access to my weapon and do a fair job of keeping my kids safe.

Issue is the door latch doesn't release. Can hear the mechanism function when I punch in the code or use the key, but it gets hung up. Have to keep a screw driver handy to pop it open.

The latch is has the same rough coating as the rest of the vault but the locking mechanism is smooth metal. Think maybe sanding the latch will fix the problems.

Anyone else having this issue or should I just try to send it back and get a new one. Right now, have no confidence in the unit but really like the size.

Thanks

Chuck

Hi crs34, I'd contact the company and see if they would replace the unit. It should work properly, you can't be using a screw driver to open your gun safe, especially if you are in a real hurry for a very good reason!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I would just call the company. I have one and love it.

Check out this YouTube video on the GunVault mini.

Unsafe Gun Safe!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

Unsafe Gun Safe!
    No kidding !
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I'm not saying that video was rigged and I am not saying it wasn't, I am just going to say that I just went to my gunvault and tried about 10 or 12 times and could not open it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    I'm not saying that video was rigged and I am not saying it wasn't, I am just going to say that I just went to my gunvault and tried about 10 or 12 times and could not open it like that.
    I agree... no way of knowing how the safe may or may not have been tampered with.

All I know, is knowing what I know now, I would definitely like to try it out on any safes like that before I bought one.

I'm glad yours doesn't seem to have that problem.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Unsafe Gun Safe!

I just checked my mini gun vault and it does not have this defect, thank God!

Finally got in touch with GunVault customer service. Explained my problem and they agreed it had something to do with the finish on the latch. Had me hold the door open with the key and then open and close the thing about 100 times. You can see where it wore down the rough spots and seems to work fine.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Only way I will ever get a safe like that is when I marry and have kids someday. And, to learn from some of the bad experiences with it mentioned here, I will make sure to check its function before I buy it. You can't trust any company these days since most of their parts are made overseas. So much for quality control.

That's exactly why I bought the GunVault. Kids. In fact, spent about 700 bucks on safes that day. Bought a big one that went in the basement and then decided it was inconvenient for securing my cc weapon so went out and bought the GV.

And I'm with you on the quality of things. Thought with the economy in the crapper, quality and customer service would be pretty high. Have found the exact opposite is true. Seems like the trend is to make things with cheaper parts and miserable customer service.

I have one of the gun vault safes because of kids. Never had a problem with it and would still buy it if I could go back in time. That being said, I probably won't be using it when they've moved out. Glad you were able to get yours back to spec, OP.

I have a gunvault for my bedside gun - since I have a 3 year old. I bought it when my wife got pregnant, so I could have time to break myself of the habit of leaving a gun anywhere around the house.

Mine broke because the older design used a cable to work the lock - and the cable was known to break. Mine did, and they shipped me a brand new one - THEN I shipped my old one back in the same box. As I was out of the warranty period, it was nice to see that kind of customer service.

The new one has mushy buttons (I like the tactile feel of the old one), but they have a better locking system that won't break.

The only thing is now, I only put my carry gun in it. I used to keep a separate gun by my bed, but it is very easy to bang your gun on the edges of the safe while putting it inside. I have several guns that I try to keep in nice shape, and I do not holster them. I have a few guns with rails on them that would make a great nightstand gun, but I don't want to beat the hell out of them.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't have kids in the house any longer (although the wife says I act like a two-year-old sometimes) so a gun safe would be for thief security only until the grandkids get older.

I've looked, and looked, and looked at gunvaults and the like and just can't pull the trigger on buying one. I worked electronics for 20 years in the service and don't trust ele3ctronics. It always fails when you need it most. I want a keyed lock--period. The key stays on my keyring, and when I'm home, the key goes in the safe. That way I always know where my keyring is, and in an emergency, the key is already in the safe and I don't worry that the electronic safe won't open. Turn key, open safe!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I like dial combination lock safes for my big safe - not the electronic ones. But the gun vault seems to be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links