So, you wanna improve combat rifle accuracy?

This is a discussion on So, you wanna improve combat rifle accuracy? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Came accross this today: Lockheed to Develop Advanced Rifle Scope - Army Technology The meat of the article: The dynamic image gunsight optic (DInGO) is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Came accross this today: Lockheed to Develop Advanced Rifle Scope - Army Technology
    The meat of the article:
    The dynamic image gunsight optic (DInGO) is an optical scope attachment to be used on standard combat rifles, which will provide the soldiers with an accurate target view without the need to change scopes or decrease optical resolution.

DInGO uses a low-power laser rangefinder, which automatically calculates the range and digitally zooms into the target taking into account environmental conditions. It then projects the bullet's point-of-impact calculated from the embedded ballistics computer.

The system will significantly enhance the soldiers' ability to accurately hit targets at a range of between 3m and 600m.

Based on Lockheed Martin's One Shot advanced sighting system, the DInGO uses a similar precision engagement technology to automatically transmit crosswind information to a long-range sniper's scope and exactly display the place where the bullet hits.
    If and when this comes out, and it and when it works, it may be the next "revolutionary" step in combat optics. I know I sure want one...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sounds a bit like an active/electronic equivalent of Nikon's BDC (bullet drop compensation) markings on the reticle. Hard to tell without more details.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's probably going to cost a pretty penny
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Well, as I understand it, the laser range finder calculates the range to the target you are aiming at. The optic digitally magnifies the image so that you are always seeing roughly the same "field of view" of the target. The computer calculates bullet drop (and windage, somehow, apparently?) and tells you where the bullet will strike if you pull the trigger "now." So, you move that strike point to be where you want the round to impact and, voila.

Since range estimation and poor wind reading are the main causes of misses (at least in my experience employing snipers) at long distances, a LRF and ballistic computer will be of immense help in shots beyond 200m or so (roughly where most half-decent rifleman can reliably hit a torso sized target w/o magnifying optics, again in my experience).
    As long as this is kept reliable, robust, light, and easy on batteries (yeah, I know, simplest thing in the world, right?), I think it has amazing potential to increase our soldier’s ability to put effective rounds on target at 300-600m. That sounds pretty good to me.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

My question: What are the size, weight and power requirements. All this wizz-bang stuff is great until you have to hump it, maintain it and power it.
    But it does sound really awesome.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Best way to improve my rifles accuracy......is let somebody else shoot it.Old age and my disability has taken it's toll,I have to shoot left handed and ain't as steady as I once was,I call my kind of shooting suppressive fire
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I call my kind of shooting suppressive fire
    I no longer give my shooting names. I fear it'll call down the wrath of the accuracy gods on my head.

Seriously, the average person isn't going to notice much change with this thing. I'm sure that 95% of the problem with accuracy for normal folks is going to be training, breathing, triggering technique, the rifle/barrel connection (ie, free-floated or badly interfering).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I no longer give my shooting names. I fear it'll call down the wrath of the accuracy gods on my head.

Seriously, the average person isn't going to notice much change with this thing. I'm sure that 95% of the problem with accuracy for normal folks is going to be training, breathing, triggering technique, the rifle/barrel connection (ie, free-floated or badly interfering).
    I respectfully disagree, though this isn't really about "normal folks" anyway; it's about combat troops engaging the enemy out to 600m.

Beyond point blank range (real point blank range, not the Hollywood idea of what PBR is), range estimation becomes critical, and it is something that even trained persons sometimes have trouble with, especially over steeply sloping terrain. Range estimation aids like mil-dots and similar systems are great, but they can be slow and require a good bit of practice to master, especially under "combat" conditions. An LRF tied into the ballistics chart for your rifle/ammo combo would make the process much faster and simpler.

Couple this with an "auto-focus" magnification where you don't have to make any physical adjustments to your optic when going from 6m to 600m - while still maintaining the same "sight picture" - and you've got a pretty nice thing going indeed.

Yes, the key will be keeping it light and durable, with good battery life (and, of course, BUIS), but for combat troops that are already "pretty good," this will be a big step forward (when all the bugs are worked out!)

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Best way to improve my rifles accuracy......is let somebody else shoot it.Old age and my disability has taken it's toll,I have to shoot left handed and ain't as steady as I once was,I call my kind of shooting suppressive fire
    I lean towards "SHOCK & AWE" myself!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    The computer calculates bullet drop (and windage, somehow, apparently?) [...]
    In ground-based astronomy (and directed energy weapon research) there is a technique called adaptive optics. A low-powered laser is fired and used to measure the variations in air density along the bore track. What this means is that the real laser (or telescopic optics) can be adjusted so that the atmospheric refractions caused by the measured density variations tend to re-focus the resulting beam (or sight line) rather than scatter it.

All this is based on measuring the air with a laser. In the article somebody posted today about One-Shot (the system from which this optic is derived), there was a reference to measuring the "air turbulence". So, to me it sounds like they are applying adaptive optics techniques to feed the ballistics computer for atmospheric variations. I think that sounds like a great idea!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    That's some cool stuff...

Generally, I'm not a gee-whiz gadget guy - I believe in fundamentals and training. However, NASCAR drivers aren't using the same technology that they were 40 (or 4) years ago, and neither are surgeons... Yes, they must have strong fundamental driving/surgical skills, but if technology can make them just that much better, I'm for it.

In this case, if this optic is used to supplement the strong fundamental shooting skills of the rifleman, I think it will be able to do wonders for our hit ratios out past 300m. I just hope it comes out in a usable form (and for under 5 figures) before I'm too old to carry one! Fat chance of that, I know, but a grunt can dream....

VIP Member
    That sounds like total coolness, dipped in awesome sauce.

I was wondering when range-finder technologies would combine within the scope. It only makes sense. And yes, technology can always fail, but that's why there are redundant systems (like iron sights).

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    ... though this isn't really about "normal folks" anyway; it's about combat troops ...
    My point exactly. Non-expert marksmen. "Normal" folks. "Average" folks. The bottom third.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Saw this in another thread:

DARPA's New Sniper Rifle System

You can expect newer generations of optics (years from now) to make use of info feeds from satellites along with preprogrammed settings for a variety of ammo/rifle combos and video capture/transmission in real time. The optic's display will also eventually include a go/no go icon that can be prompted by a commander at a distant location who is watching the video feed.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Luuuke ... use the Force!

Does sound like it shows the "Kentucky windage" when targeting. Used to spot where the first shot hit when hunting rockchucks on the far side of the canyons out in WA. After that, it was game on.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links