Modified Firearm for Defensive Carry...is it lawful? - Page 4

Modified Firearm for Defensive Carry...is it lawful?

This is a discussion on Modified Firearm for Defensive Carry...is it lawful? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That argument is not worth discussion further than to say it is not one anyone with any interest in winning a case would use....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Modified Firearm for Defensive Carry...is it lawful?

That argument is not worth discussion further than to say it is not one anyone with any interest in winning a case would use.

Something to keep in mind folks is the OP (unless he has moved) is in the great state of Texas! It is not unusual to see deputies carrying tricked out 1911's as their duty weapon! LEOs are the only ones that can OC down here and some of them really like to express themselves through dressing up their weapons. Unless you do something that makes the weapon unsafe the only questions I would expect would be who did the work and how much did it cost you?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

This has been an issue for ages and always will I think. But I do love the wording of Kyodai's post. Lawyer/People can twist anything if they want.
    People have asked me for years about their triggers when I've worked on them and I've always had the same answer "A Smoother trigger is a Safer trigger" sometimes(every gun is differnet) just removing the creep and grind of a trigger can make all the differnce in the world.
    Only do what you feel good with.
    In the 60's a N.Y. cop got in a shootout on a subway and he had his own 1911 with his own handloaded ammo. The reason for that as the Department only issued FMJ and he was alittle more concerned with the bullet stopping. No harm came to him but nowadays there are so many choices in Factory ammo. Theres just no reason.
    Just my thoughts.
    We take your favorite carry gun and make it better!
    www.hcgrifles.com

It's easy to get all pretend-lawyer when you don't have to worry about making a coherent argument supported by any sort of facts or logic, or worry about minor things like actually winning a case.

Make it as complex as you please.

Make it so you can't wrap your head around it.

Go for it, Matlock.
    Make your Law & Order speach.

It's all drama...and fiction.

Real problems do exist when it comes to using a modified weapon or ammunition. Those issues have been previously diiscussed, and they are legitimate; however, it seems as if people want to be imaginary lawyers arguing (someone else's case, never their own...) to an imaginary judge more than they want to simply buy a box of Gold Dot or DPX, see if they shoot to point of aim, if they are reliable in the gun and stop worrying about it.

I'm a lawyer, and quite frankly I don't see what the attraction in playing attorney is unless it's part of a role playing game with your wife/girlfriend in which she is a client who owes you money and has to work it off in "favors".

And yes, that does get offered sometimes...but never by women I'd take up the offer from.

Shudder...

People.

Go shoot something and stop attempting to lawyer this stuff out.

You won't succeed.
    Last edited by MitchellCT; June 11th, 2010 at 07:39 AM.

Something else you want to keep in mind when making modifications......
    Does it work?
    I converted my P220 to DAO for work. After swapping multiple parts to do the conversion properly I thought the trigger pull felt a little too light. Since I have to qualify with it tomorrow I thought I should take it to the range today to make sure it went bang.

It went click!

I came home and put a stiffer main spring in it but wont know if that does the trick until qualification.

If you are going to do any modifications get to the range and make sure it goes BANG before you carry it. My click was just annoying. It just means I need to bring another pistol to qualify with in case it still doesn't work. A click on the street could be fatal.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I have been considering buying a 357 SIG barrel for my Glock 23, but have really waffled on it because of this very issue. I keep everything else stock for reliability purposes, but by using a more powerful round*, I could be leaving myself open to all kinds of accusations and insinuations by a prosecutor.

*I realize there is a debate on the merits of the 357 SIG and the .40.

Quote Originally Posted by kane4111 View Post
    HOLY **** thats a crazy pistol!!!
    I'm also sure it's an airsoft pistol. Note the magazines, the lack of Glock trademarks on the grip, and the "Guarder" suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Wow. I carry a Glock30SF because that's what I prefer.

But if I felt that a chrome-plated, 10mm 1911 with custom ivory grips, adorned with gold inlays of apocalyptic scripture is going to be more reliable, I wouldn't hesitate to carry it.

LOL. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think I know what my next purchase/project is going to be.
    ^^Nice^^

I'm slowly buying all the modifications to my 1911 A-1 GI, and I'll put them on when I can afford the trip to the Gunsmith.

I will carry the gun I trust with the mods I chose and I will feel safer for it.

If a lawyer wants to make an issue of it AFTER I have used the weapon to defend myself, I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links