Wilson 47D or ETM

This is a discussion on Wilson 47D or ETM within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pretty self explanatory. I was going to buy myself some 8 round Wilson 47D's with the standard floorplate, and saw for about the same price ...

Thread: Wilson 47D or ETM

Wilson 47D or ETM

Pretty self explanatory. I was going to buy myself some 8 round Wilson 47D's with the standard floorplate, and saw for about the same price their ETM magazines, which I haven't really heard of before. But Wilson's description says they are supposed to be improved over 47Ds. What do you 1911 guys think, stick with the tried and true 47D, or look towards the future with their ETM?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I use the 47D with the low profile floorplate. They're over 20 years old and still running strong. I don't see much improvement on the ETM's except cosmetics.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

JD
    Administrator
    It depends on what you want to do with the gun....I like the 47D with flush plate for carry, but like the nice big bottoms of the ETMs for easy to grab reloads and extraction by hand if needed and competition where it's easier to load +1 and reinsert the mag as there's more room for the top round to recede into the mag when it's being inserted.

The follower is identical, both drop free, the ETM has nice numbered witness holes, which is nice but not needed.

The ETM is largely a copy of the Tripp Research Cobra mag. The longer tube, large numbered base pad were all traits of the Cobra mag. Hardly anything innovative. The Wilsons do drop better than the older Tripps I have, but the Cobra mags still have the best follower around.

So, regarding the ETM vs the 47D, it's a matter of preference.

I think IŽll just stick with the tried and true 47ds. I will probably go with 8 rounders with the standard floorplate. or maybe get a couple 7s to keep in the gun, and 8s for reloads.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    I really like the ETMs! My 47Ds are range magazines now, ETMs for carry.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Ok, so I went with the tried and true 47d's. At the range today there was a slight issue with them using my SA Loaded 1911 target model. They fed flawlessly and I didn't have any problems with that. But a couple of times when I would slam home a magazine with the slide back, the slide would automatically close when the mag went in. It still chambered the top round every time it did this, although I have never heard of this occurring before. Just seemed kind of odd, anyone else heard of this happening?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

JD
    Administrator
    I've heard of it happening with other guns/mags but I can't say that I have heard of it happening with Wilson mags specifically. Sounds like the top round was making contact with the slide top enough to jar it and cause the slide to close...or something like that...

Yeah, I've also considered it could have been operator error somehow, although its never happened to me on a 1911 before with any other magazine. I have a few more shooting trips planned in the next couple of weeks, so I'm going to see if it happens any more. It happened twice, out of about 15 reloads, and both times it did load the top round. I'd be more concerned if it didn't load that round. They do drop free beautifully, and load anything without an issue, I tried mixing some hp in with the fmj to see if it would screw it up, it didn't.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Links