Waterproofing safe or...

Waterproofing safe or...

This is a discussion on Waterproofing safe or... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The thread here about having to evacuate with guns got me to thinking. I live in S. Florida and have a perfectly good gun safe. ...

Thread: Waterproofing safe or...

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar

Waterproofing safe or...

The thread here about having to evacuate with guns got me to thinking. I live in S. Florida and have a perfectly good gun safe. It is not, however, waterproof. So in case of a hurricane where I have to evacuate, here are my two ideas. The first is to waterproof the safe by using silicone caulk around the door and the bolt holes in the bottom of the safe to make the whole safe waterproof, leaving my usual dessicant in the safe to keep the guns from corroding. The second would be to seal each gun I was leaving in its own plastic bag/container with a dessicant pouch inside the bag. I don't think I'll have the room to take all my long guns with me.

So let me know what you think of the ideas, or if you have better ones.

I'm a little north of you. I'm in the Coast Guard and depending on the situation I may have to egress or just stay put.

Either way, I've read about people purchasing sections of PCV that is long enough to hold 1 or 2 guns with a screw in end cap. Putting them in that and then returning them to the gun safe.

The bags are a good idea as well, but if the plastic isn't heavy duty, and the guns slide around as a result, there is a possibility that they may shift and tear defeating the purpose.
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

Just make sure the silicone bead is outside the door. If it goes past where you can cut the seal with a knife, opening it later will be tough.

My safe has a rubber sheet siliconed to the underside that I placed before dropping it over the anchor bolts in my floor and those bolt holes in the safe filled with silicone before the nuts were threaded onto the bolts. The bottom of my safe is waterproof now.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    How about putting some of that rubber strip seals around the edges of the door. Also I think your idea of sealing each of your guns in a plastic bag with dessicant inside the bag is a very good idea. Let us just hope that the situation never happens, but you are wise to be prepared. God Bless :)

Sponsored Links