Seeking flashlight guidance

Seeking flashlight guidance

This is a discussion on Seeking flashlight guidance within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I'm currently working in the sandbox which makes it difficult to perform a hands-on assessment of any flashlight I am considering. I'm asking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Seeking flashlight guidance

Hi all,

I'm currently working in the sandbox which makes it difficult to perform a hands-on assessment of any flashlight I am considering. I'm asking you guys for some help.

My EDC was a Surefire G2 which went missing (I assume into the crevice of a chair in the PAX terminal at Ali Al Salem). Anyways, I am looking for a replacement. I liked the brightness of the G2 and the momentary-on tail switch so I was considering getting the Surefire G2 LED ($55; brighter and longer run time compared to the standard G2).

During my research, I stumbled across the Fenix PD30 R4 ($65). It seems to exceed the G2 LED in every area, but I'm not sure how I feel about the tail-switch.

When I need light, I NEED light. As I understand it, I'm going to have to basically thumb-pump the tail switch to get it up to the brighter levels, which sounds like a hassle. Anyone have any feedback on this? Aftermarket replacement tail-switch? Tighten down the led-bezel so it only does max light only?

The Surefire L4 LumaMax got my attention until I noticed the $160+ price tag.

Ultimately, I am looking for something that is approximately the same size of the SureFire G2 (or smaller) that is brighter with equal or greater run time for less than $75. Please advise.

I have two 4Sevens flashlights and they are VERY bright. The Quark Tactical sounds like it may fit your needs. The clip is reversible (except the standard 123) on models and you can program two instantaneous modes. The tail click turns it on and the twist determines which mode it goes to (loose or tightened).

There even a video showing how the Tactical version is programmed.

I have a stream light scorpion (44.00$) that works very well (114 lumens)

I also have a Gerber Omnivore (36.00$ 18 lumens) that has the added advantage of running on aaa/aa or CRs

Thanks for the feedback. I just don't know how the reverse tail switch on the Fenix will play out, and unfortunately, I can't find one to test out at my current location.

I just bought a Fenix LD20 for my brother as a gift for being in my wedding. Awesome light that runs on two AA batteries. I considered keeping it for myself. Its also about the same price you are looking at for the G2.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I just bought a Fenix LD20 for my brother as a gift for being in my wedding. Awesome light that runs on two AA batteries. I considered keeping it for myself. Its also about the same price you are looking at for the G2.
    I just bought a Fenix LD20 ($55 on Amazon), and am very happy with it.

The LD20 takes 2 AA's, including rechargeables, which I have a ton of. It has 2 different modes: a "general use" mode, and a "turbo" mode. Loosen the head of the light and it goes into general mode. Click the tailcap once for a low power light thats good for anything close up. The next two clicks get you a slightly brighter light, and the 4th click puts it into SOS mode.

Tighten the head and it goes into turbo mode. When in turbo mode, one click turns on the 180 lumen light, which is blindingly bright. A second click turns on strobe mode, which I'm sure could do a decent job at disorienting a person, along with blinding them.

I took the LD20 on a camping trip recently, along with my "car light", a 3D LED Maglite. I took both out on a short hike into the woods at night. The Fenix on the second level in low light mode was about as bright as the Maglite. On the 3rd level, it was significantly brighter. Both the throw of the light (distance) and the spread of the light from the LD20 were very good. The turbo brightness mode lit up everything nearby nearly like daylight. The low brightness modes were more than enough for navigating through the woods in the dark though.

For any sort of emergency/tactical use though, you can, and I do, carry the light so that the head is tightened. That way, just clicking the tailcap once will turn it into turbo bright mode, and a light halfclick will turn on the strobe if you feel it is necessary.

No, no, no - don't get the PD30! I have one and I hate the dang thing - the lumens are overrated and the UI (user interface) is a real PITA. I have recently bought a bunch of flashlights. Just took delivery yesterday of a Quark Tactical AA*2 XP-G R5. Very nice light with great beam. Also bought a couple of Surefire 6P's and have modded them with aftermarket drop-ins.

Here's some of the lights I have recently bought:

The very best place for flashlight questions is at the Candle Power Forums. There are a lot of real flashlight experts there.

If you're looking for a pocket light, then I would suggest the Eagletac P20C2 or the Quark 123*2 Tactical XP-G R5. They both utilize CR123 batteries, which I assume you have access to an unlimited supply. If you need weapon-mounted light, then I am not qualified to give opinion.

Pay close attention to the UI, and make sure to get a light with the UI that fits your wants and needs!

Good luck and thanks for serving! Stay safe.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

When I was shopping for good light, I was also concerned about all the different features on the various models.

I ended up buying the PD-30, and am glad I did. This light is the real deal. It's bright as heck, and quite easy to manipulate. The two cr 123s pump out a ton of light, and I usually keep it on turbo beam, so its always ready to go.
    It's also pretty small. It easily fits in a pocket or between your fingers

I got it for $60 bucks on Amazon. I thought that was a fair price, so if I lose the thing, I can replace it without breaking the bank.

I know there's a lot of really good lights on the market. I rolled the dice and tried a Fenix light. It's the only one I have bought other than Maglight, so I don't really have a comparison with other brands.

Thanks for your service, and good luck with your search.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

i just received my pd30 r4 in the mail last week. i had the tk11 r2 before and the tail switch on the tk11 was better. no real complaints from the pd30 though since i only use the turbo and strobe mode. and i got two of them on ebay for $50 each with free shipping.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I strongly support the recommendation of the 4Sevens Quark Tactical. David and his team have put a ton of effort into designing an inexpensive series of flashlights to meet the needs of the entire spectrum of flashlight users - from enthusiasts and flashaholics to folks like yourself and many members of this forum that not merely anticipate the need to beat on and rely upon a light, but wholeheartedly expect it to happen. Little things that some companies don't pay attention to, like robust square threads, good knurling, a solid clip, and a forward clickie switch with a good UI, were all addressed by 4Sevens. I would still lean toward Surefire if money were no object, but you will certainly get a serviceable, bright, and tough light if you get a Quark Tactical. You can even get one in titanium!

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Here's some of the lights I have recently bought:

-
    How does the Eagle Tac compare to the Quark in AA.

I am thinking about getting the Eagle Tech. It is $20 cheaper. I hate to spend more than $40 since I sometimes misplace or lose flashlights.

I have the Quark Mini 123. (Excellent light) This is my EDC light.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Ok, what kind of runtime are you looking at? The G2 LED is not regulated if I remember correctly, meaning that it will start off bright and gradually get dimmer. A regulated light will generally do 1 1/2hrs to 2 1/2hrs on max power without dimming and then go much dimmer. Usually they have more than one mode to where you can switch it to the next lower mode for a while. The regulated lights are probably going to be 2-3 brighter than your G2 LED as well.

What batteries do you want to use?

The PD30. Say if you want the second brightest mode, the bezel will have to be loose and after turning the light on, the button will have to be pumped to get the mode you want. Every time.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Look at the 6PLED. Its a little out of your price range, but built like a tank. I used one on both my Iraq and Afghan deployment (the same one with the original bulb actually), and it didn't fail me. It didn't have the throw of my weapon mounted surefire, but inside 25 meters or so, it was a solid performer. And bight enough to distract an opponent if you need to, while also being built of metal and a good addition to a hammerfist.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    How does the Eagle Tac compare to the Quark in AA. ......
    I think the EagleTac might have a slight edge over the Quark, most likely due to the slightly larger reflector. They both have the exact same LED (XP-G R5).

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by movingshrub View Post
    Hi all,

I'm currently working in the sandbox which makes it difficult to perform a hands-on assessment of any flashlight I am considering. I'm asking you guys for some help.

My EDC was a Surefire G2 which went missing (I assume into the crevice of a chair in the PAX terminal at Ali Al Salem). Anyways, I am looking for a replacement. I liked the brightness of the G2 and the momentary-on tail switch so I was considering getting the Surefire G2 LED ($55; brighter and longer run time compared to the standard G2).

During my research, I stumbled across the Fenix PD30 R4 ($65). It seems to exceed the G2 LED in every area, but I'm not sure how I feel about the tail-switch.

When I need light, I NEED light. As I understand it, I'm going to have to basically thumb-pump the tail switch to get it up to the brighter levels, which sounds like a hassle. Anyone have any feedback on this? Aftermarket replacement tail-switch? Tighten down the led-bezel so it only does max light only?

The Surefire L4 LumaMax got my attention until I noticed the $160+ price tag.

Ultimately, I am looking for something that is approximately the same size of the SureFire G2 (or smaller) that is brighter with equal or greater run time for less than $75. Please advise.

dont buy a pd30 unless ur going to use it as a general purpose light. u dont wanna flip thru modes to get to the right one u need.

the quark tactical is what want, under 75 dollars ( shipped, any where in the world).

the only thing is, u gotta learn how to program it. it takes a few mins to learn, but its worth it.

so after u program it, u can have two modes, loosen and tighten. you can set one of the diff light levels per mode. so me, i have loosen as strobe, and tighten as max ( turbo).

durbilty wise, i dont think its combat proven yet, but its pretty strong.

---------

if you ever get enough money, get a surefire 6p or c2, and add a malkoff m61. thats 260 lumens of no BS for two hrs. the malkoff drop in is 70 dollars by it self....and their always sold out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links