Kimber Ultra CDP II LG on the way. What else do I need?

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra CDP II LG on the way. What else do I need? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been trying to find out what comes with the NIB Kimber and have not got an answer yet. Besides 45 ammo which I ...

Thread: Kimber Ultra CDP II LG on the way. What else do I need?

Kimber Ultra CDP II LG on the way. What else do I need?

I have been trying to find out what comes with the NIB Kimber and have not got an answer yet. Besides 45 ammo which I have and more is coming. I do not have a CC holster. What else do I need? Extra mags? Just wondering what should be on my list of things to get. Thanks.
    Springfield Armory XDM 9
    Kimber Ultra CDP II LG .45
    Kahr PM9 w/night sights (the wifes but I will use it when she is not looking )

2. Remove Ads

...you could get a box, pack it up and send it to me...

I am partial to TT Gunleather holsters but Pure Kustom makes a beautiful holster as do a few others. Extra Mags? Yes...and IMHO I would get the Wilson Combat mags. How about the cleaning supplies...unless you already have 45 cal stuff?

All that came with my Kimber a couple years ago was the gun, mag, some papers, and the case. I don't think there was anything else. Different model though.

I like my high noon holsters for my Kimber GRII. I keep a few spare mags loaded with +P hollow points also. Cleaning pad, kit, chemicals. A good polish rag. A gun safe. From there it'll get more expensive.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by quikduk View Post
    ...you could get a box, pack it up and send it to me...

I am partial to TT Gunleather holsters but Pure Kustom makes a beautiful holster as do a few others. Extra Mags? Yes...and IMHO I would get the Wilson Combat mags. How about the cleaning supplies...unless you already have 45 cal stuff?
    That is funny! Wilson Cambat mags. Do you know which ones for an Ultra?
    Springfield Armory XDM 9
    Kimber Ultra CDP II LG .45
    Kahr PM9 w/night sights (the wifes but I will use it when she is not looking )

That would be a "compact" I believe.

1911 Magazine | 7 Round .45 ACP | Compact-Wilson Combat

...and funny? I thought I was being serious...

Magazines - Understand that I do not carry a 1911 personally so I am no expert on what the best 1911 Magazines are, however, I have heard great things about Wilson Combat Magazines. I would recommend that you buy 3-5 of those first off. With that, I would start looking into how you are going to carry extra ammo. I am sure you realize that you only have 7 + 1 Rounds in your pistol to start with. With that said, I would say carry two extra mags, bringing you to a total of 22 rounds. 22 is not very much in the grand scheme of things and it will go quickly if you have to fight multiple bad guys. Plan on getting yourself a quality mag holder - I would say Kydex because it is more secure IMO and is a smoother draw.

Holsters - I'll say right up front that I like Raven Concealment Systems. That is what I carry on a daily basis (RCS Phantom for my G19) and it works fantastic. It is comfortable, very concealable, and versatile. The cool thing about RCS is it curved to fit your body better and is modular, meaning you can carry it OWB/IWB/Paddle/Tuckable. Only down side to RCS is they are popular so plan on getting a holster to hold you till it is ready. Other great holsters are Blade-Tech, Comp-Tac, and Crossbreed. I would stick to Kydex rather then leather as it will remain more open for re-holstering, easier draw, no break-in period, and much slimmer.

Alternate Holster - Chances are you will probably not be able to carry your gun IWB at all times depending on where you go (i.e. beach, pool, gym, or running) and where you work. Look at things like Pocket Carry and Fanny Packs. I use a tommy's gun pack for my G19 when I go to the gym, running, pool, etc. It's worth it to insure you always can have your gun with you.

Knife - Get yourself a good folding knife if you don't already have one. I won't insult your intelligence, but bottom line is you should carry either a knife or pepper spray to offset your firearm. Obviously if you carry a knife, make sure it is large enough to fight with but not so big as to attract attention. I would say anywhere from 3-4 inch folder with a belt clip.

Light - Get a good flashlight that is bright enough to be used for tactical purposes. A lot of people here, including myself carry a Surefire light. They are excellent and in my opinion the best. I suggest either and E1B or any of the executive series. Also, Streamlight is a good alternative on a budget (PT 1AA or PT2L). You'll be surprised if you don't already carry one as to how useful they are in random situations besides defense.

Training - the last thing I will say you need is professional training. Now that you have made the decision to carry a gun, make sure you get some quality training that is realistic, relevant to carrying, current, and not just oriented on shooting skill. Look for a course that teaches Mindset and Tactics along with the skill. I have been carrying for nearly 2 years and I was just able to take a course recently (work schedule didn't allow for it earlier) and it was one of the most eye-opening and worthwhile experiences of my life. The course I attended was Fighting Pistol from Tactical Response in Camden, TN. For the money ($400 + Ammo) I believe it to be the best 2 day pistol course available. I posted a review here not too long ago that goes over the details but the gist is that it is a course about how to prepare for the fight, fight the fight, and what to do after the fight. Plenty of shooting and lots of tactics. The other thing that I will say is make sure you get your practice in - at least 2 times a month IMO and once a week dry practice. My opinion is that if you don't practice, you'll lose your skill.

Link to my review of Tactical Response Fighting Pistol...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...istol-aar.html

Stay safe and Stay Armed!
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

Gunzilla!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm not sure how it comes from the factory, but I'd invest in some night sights.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by jensen47770 View Post
    Training - the last thing I will say you need is professional training.
    Last? I'd say it should be the first, and do it often!
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I'm not sure how it comes from the factory, but I'd invest in some night sights.
    The CDP comes with night sights.

I'll chime in on the SureFire light (65-80 lumens)
    OC spray...
    Extra mags...at least four total.
    Definitely get some self-defense pistol training.
    Holsters? Here... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    Last? I'd say it should be the first, and do it often!

Concur, lol...training is paramount. If you can only buy the gun, ammo, and the training, that is enough for now. The training should come before all the gear.

Also, one thing I didn't mention is XS Big Dot Sights. I know the CDP comes with night sighs, but the Big Dots are much better for defensive use and quick acquisition IMO.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

Links