Weapons Safe and Ammunition

This is a discussion on Weapons Safe and Ammunition within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all... Anyone have any advice on storing ammunition in a safe with yoru firearms? I am curious about it because I see allot of ...

Thread: Weapons Safe and Ammunition

Weapons Safe and Ammunition

Hello all... Anyone have any advice on storing ammunition in a safe with yoru firearms? I am curious about it because I see allot of people with loaded magazines in their safe but I am wondering if it would get hot enough during a fire to cook them off and maybe defeat the fireproof nature of a good safe... Thanks all!

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I keep the loaded mags in the safe with my pistols. I keep my extra ammo in a seperate lockbox/safe (mine just happens to be a firesafe because it's what I had). I wouldn't keep other documents, high value items, etc in with my weapons or ammo. I'd use a different safe for that type of thing.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Ape
    I used to keep all of my guns in a safe and all of my ammo in milsurp cans in a closet except for the magazines that kept loaded and in the gun safe. However I now have a secured gun room that everything gets stored in.
    As far as worrying about fire proof safes not providing enough protection for the ammo........ I'm not sure at what temp ammo will start to cook off in a fire? But if your safe is a good safe with a decent fire rating then the safe would likely be the safest place for it to stay out of the flames path. However, milsurp ammo cans are as a good a place as any to protect them from that once you have more ammo that is feasably easy to store in a safe with your guns.

I don't know about anyone else, but the old addage of buy a safe 2 or 3 times the size you think you need is a good one. I bought one approximately 2 times the size I needed at the time thinking I would use it for ammo storage too and quickly ran out of room. :-/ Thankfully I have an understanding and almost equally gun nut wife who allowed me to covert a spare room into a man cave/fortified gun room. ;-)

I imagine if your safe interior got hot enough to cook off rounds in a magazine your safe had probably already failed somewhere. Check the fire rating of your safe and see how cool it's rated to keep the interior and for how long. You can probably make an educated guess as to how long it would take your local FD to respond and put out a fire too. Downtown metro or rural volunteer?

And let the firefighter make another plug for residential sprinkler systems! Cheap insurance.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    The man that delivered my safe explained the fire rating,etc. He also said most fires do not burn as hot near a window. Also the fire dept. will likely spray water through windows and doors. Maybe food for thought. I bought a good safe so I put everything in and hope for the best.

I keep some of my SD ammo in the safe HST's Hydra Shoks, ect. The rest of it is kept in the basement.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I have the guns in the safe with whatever SD ammo is loaded in them. I have the ammo in a separate locked cabinet. Since I shoot a good bit of skeet & sporting clays, I reload shotshells using several recepies and gauges and have lots ready to go at any time. No way I could get the ammo in the safe with the guns.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Loaded magazines (and I have at least two for every handgun) are in the safe.

Other ammo is stored in a wooden cabinet. Wood is a better insulator than metal and ammo will stay cooler in a fire longer than if in a metal cabinet.

When rounds "cook off", what happens is the cases burst and the powder burns. There are not bullets flying all over the place, no matter what nonsense you see in TV or on the movies. MythBusters did an extensive show on the subject a few years ago and shot down (pun intended) that myth. A cartridge must be contained in a chamber for the projectile to be propelled more than a couple of inches.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I got a 1hr rating on my safe, Hope it will do.
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

this was a non fire rated safe.. and there was major damage to the guns, but only a hand full of rounds went off... and the shotgun shells in the closet melted before they did anything.

I might add there is some times more damage done by water and steam then by the fire itself, also smoke damage...

All good calls... I just have been wondering with my small (and I do mean small) collection and ammo supply that I keep for plinking I would hate to loose any of it to a fire or theft so I have considered putting it all in a safe. I want to get a safe as soon as I am back on my feet financially it is one of the must buys.

Paqladin132, I believe to get a fire rated safe you would have to spend in the neighborhood of $650 at minimum. There are many small safes that are more cost efective, but for fire safe, not much for less. I have been looking at Dick's sporting goods at one they run on sale for around $650. Once I totaly retire,that will be on my list for the bacement, Fire and Water protected.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

All my firearms and ammo are in two safes...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links