Recommend a new EDC pen for me

This is a discussion on Recommend a new EDC pen for me within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry an F. Perrin defensive pen , and need some suggestions on replacing it. It's a stylish pen and I like the weight ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a new EDC pen for me

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

I currently carry an F. Perrin defensive pen, and need some suggestions on replacing it.

It's a stylish pen and I like the weight and length, but having a cap on it is just a pain. Half the time, it pops off when I try to take the pen out of my pocket, or when I hold it tightly in a hammerfist. Also, because the pen sits normally tip up, all the ink runs to the bottom and I end up drawing swirls for 10 seconds before I can get any ink out of it. Anyway, I finally decided it's time to move on.

I'm looking for something like the Surefire EWP-01, but without the outrageous pricetag. Something sturdy and hefty, but that doesn't scream "improvised weapon". I really like the fact that the Surefire has no cap. My next pen will for sure be either a clicky or twisty pen.

As much as I like the Surefire, I don't think I can bring myself to spend $130 on it. So what else is out there? Surely there must be other companies who make steel or aluminum clicky pens, but charge reasonable prices for them, right?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

wow, I never even considered a defensive pen.

Learn something new everyday.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Pocket Shark

I like this, but I think its a marker not a pen?

EDIT: A quick google search revealed:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...D5P4JAF5F7TX5X

Not as expensive, but definitely screams WEAPON.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/too...c/#description

Same thing, definitely not as expensive, but screams weapon. My question is quality? for the price its almost worth it.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...px?category=52

holy cow! Who knew benchmade made pens? but removeable caps are a killer for me too. The cap'd be lost the first day lol

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    wow, I never even considered a defensive pen.

Learn something new everyday.
    Yeah, I really like the idea of using a sturdy pen as a kobutan. Plus, I can take it anywhere, even on a plane, without anyone freaking out. After all, it's just a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Pocket Shark

I like this, but I think its a marker not a pen?

EDIT: A quick google search revealed:

Amazon.com: Smith & Wesson SWPENMPBK Military and Police Tactical Pen, Black: Home Improvement

Not as expensive, but definitely screams WEAPON.

ThinkGeek :: Uzi Tactical Pen

Same thing, definitely not as expensive, but screams weapon. My question is quality? for the price its almost worth it.

Pens Product List | Benchmade

holy cow! Who knew benchmade made pens? but removeable caps are a killer for me too. The cap'd be lost the first day lol
    Those are about the same ones I've found too. The Sharkie isn't what I'm looking for - too fat, obviously designed as a weapon, and I've heard it's almost impossible to find ink cartridges for them.

The S&W and Benchmade pens all have a removable threaded cap. This is great when using them defensively, but really gets in the way for every day use as a writing implement. I used to carry a KZ defensive pen that used the same design - that didn't last long. On top of the cap issues, it screamed weapon and I never got up the guts to try to take it through TSA security.

That pen was what drove me to look at the Perrin. It's sleek and attractive just as a pen, and has no angular spikes or tactical olive drab to give away its secondary purpose. I've flown with it many times, and loaned it to co-workers and friends without a second glance from anyone.

I like that Uzi pen in that it has no cap, and looks to be well built. If not for the obvious knurling and the silly "DNA catcher" spike on the end, it would be perfect. The crowned version isn't much better, but maybe I could take a bench grinder to it and flatten it off. Might be worth trying for the price.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Not that they are intended to be used as weapons, but I have always been partial to the Fisher Space Pens. They don't leak, write on anything, have pressurized refills, so they even write upside down and you can use them in freezing conditions!
    Fisher Space Pen Co.

Just my $.02
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides" - Thomas Jefferson

I carry a benchmade pen and it's been very good. The top just snaps on, it's not threaded but it is VERY secure. I just flew yesterday and it went threw security with out a second glance. The offer the benchmade in both stainless and aluminum. I really liked the look of the stainless one but it was too dang heavy.

The other thing I should mention is that they use the space pen refills. This is great because they are easy to find, they never leak and they will arts on just about anything.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Carry 2 pens? One for writing, one for fun.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    how about a 6" piece of dowel..harmmless looking and accepted everywhere...slip it in your pocket and you dont even have to remove it for a metal detector...you can carry several in a piece of carry on luggage and nobody is going to question them...if they do its therapy for your arthritis or you roll them under your feet for massage...and you can make 6 of them for $1.99...but its not a cool $40 tactical pen...

Mil-Tac also makes tactical pens that don't look like weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    I carry a benchmade pen and it's been very good. The top just snaps on, it's not threaded but it is VERY secure. I just flew yesterday and it went threw security with out a second glance. The offer the benchmade in both stainless and aluminum. I really liked the look of the stainless one but it was too dang heavy.
    Hm, I thought for sure they had threaded caps. I'm pleased to hear that they don't, but I still wish they had no caps at all. They also seem to all be about the same price as the Surefire that I like.

The Mil-Tac looks a little high-profile to me, with the fluting and obvious point. Plus it's threaded according to the reviews I've read.

My edc pen is the bullet version of the Fisher Space Pen.
    Closes up really small. Always, always in the bottom of my right front pocket. When nobody else has a pen in the crowd, I have one.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Wow. I'm really slow on the take sometimes. I noticed the other day that the Benchmade website had pens but it never occurred to me that they were intended for tactical use. Now I have to ask the dumb question, how is a tactical pen different from any other pen? How are you supposed to use a tactical pen? I mean you could stab someone in the eyeball with a bic, so I'm sure that this isn't the intended use or why spend big money on a pen to do something that an el-cheapo can do?

I have the Fisher Military Pen. It's all metal, clicky style, no cap to lose and the pocket clip is firmly attached - writes every time, even on wet or slick paper and upside down angles. When everybody else is scribbling to get their pen to write...
    I must say that I use it for writing though, there's a lot of other things that I would grab before I went for my pen.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Check out the Embassy Pen from CountyComm.

Better: The ASP Street Defender. This is a kubaton with a CS option. Mace your target first, then go to town.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Wow. I'm really slow on the take sometimes. I noticed the other day that the Benchmade website had pens but it never occurred to me that they were intended for tactical use. Now I have to ask the dumb question, how is a tactical pen different from any other pen? How are you supposed to use a tactical pen? I mean you could stab someone in the eyeball with a bic, so I'm sure that this isn't the intended use or why spend big money on a pen to do something that an el-cheapo can do?
    The idea behind the "tactical" pens is to ruggedize an everyday carry-anywhere item. Any pen can be used defensively as a kobutan, but the cheap plastic ones are likely to snap after the first strike, or bend when used as a pain compliance or joint control tool. A well-built aluminum or steel pen will be sturdy enough to use as many times as necessary if that is your only weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Better: The ASP Street Defender. This is a kubaton with a CS option. Mace your target first, then go to town.
    Good luck taking that one on an airplane. If I'm attacked while somewhere that I can legally carry CS, I'm going to reach for my pistol first. The whole reason I'm looking for a pen is as a force multiplier while in a controlled area, like an airport or a federal facility.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm still looking for the "perfect" pen, but for now, I picked up a Zebra F-701 at wally world for $4. It's a clicky pen (twist would be better), all steel, decent weight, but could be a little bigger around for a better grip. It held up to me trying to bend it with all my strength, so I think it would do ok if I had to use it defensively.

I guess I can start saving my pennies for that Surefire pen, but dang - I can think of a lot of other things worth spending $100 on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links