MCS 10 Essential Pieces of Gear

MCS 10 Essential Pieces of Gear

This is a discussion on MCS 10 Essential Pieces of Gear within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MCS 10 Essential Pieces of Gear | Modern Combative Systems Blog...

Thread: MCS 10 Essential Pieces of Gear

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Looks great to me. I carry a bunch of that stuff EDC with my "shoot me first" vest. One thing I would add if you can expand the list a bit is a good whistle. You get yourself stuck and it's amazing how well people can converge on your position by sound or it can be used to get people's attention in other situations. We react to audio better than video, so it's a strong contender IMO for slot #11.

I wear super-fly polycarbonate lenses in my glasses or shooting sunglasses when I wear contacts so visual isn't quite at the top of the list, but I have found my ear plugs to be a great thing to have as well. Lots of very noisy stuff out there once things get hairy and protecting your hearing from 130+ decibel sirens and chop saws gnawing through car frames can be a real boon.

A few other items that can be stored in your parka pockets:

-Reasonable length of 550 paracord ( 1001 uses )
    -Zip lock baggies ( water storage, ice packs, keep extra mags, and batteries water proofed, etc..)
    -Watch cap ( hat, and gloves. less space than a sweater, but keeps body heat in the right places.).
    -a couple of large bandanas ( first aid, stop bleeding, torniquets, wet it, and cool your neck off, etc..)
    -compact hand held flashlight, extra batteries ( Sure fire, Streamlight, good quality, etc..)
    -Photon ligth attached to pants, or parka zipper
    -multi tool

Add as needed

I carry everything listed in addition to what I listed. Just putting what I use, and would use the most.- George

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    This is an intriguing list; I've never seen one like it before. In the past I have thought about a survival pack to put together without it occurring to me there might actually be some resources out there that could give me guidance on how to do this. Everyday common items are an excellent idea. I didn't see anything on the list that I wouldn't agree with. The only concern that I have is that if its something you are going to pack with you everyday then it seems it would only get you through 24 hrs maybe? I mean you can only carry so much water, etc. but if you had to I suppose, you could make up a lot of ground in 24 hrs if you had to escape to a safer place. I have lately discovered paracord and am going to look into how to work with it for the many uses it can be utilized, etc. The only other thing I might add that I haven't seen here yet is maybe carry some Germ-X? We take washing our hands for granted and depending on the scenario, it could help with preventing you from getting sick depending on what you have had to handle, etc. This goes along with the idea, you can't afford to get sick/injured.

I do carry lots of other things like Germ X AKA Skel Gel, I have stock in the stuff. The list is what the rest of my kit is built around.- George

Sponsored Links