Ultimate (but still practical) bug-out set up

This is a discussion on Ultimate (but still practical) bug-out set up within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Yeti If you go out get an airstream I have a 31 footer and they are great fun but not what I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultimate (but still practical) bug-out set up

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    If you go out get an airstream
    I have a 31 footer and they are great fun but not what I consider a bug out trailer to big and cumbersome to haul down the road in a SHTF scenario. Think it would make us one giant target. One of the small ones might work though. Think there are some older models down to 14 feet that might work.
    Personally I am rebuilding a 55 chevy flatbed truck (again). With a wagon train style canvas cover. Actually the cover is Kevlar scraps from a guy who makes the Kevlar covers for the Alaska pipeline. The ribs are carbon fiber scraps from the Dreamliner. I was going to go with diesel because of the incredible horse power you can get out of diesel. But now I am reconsidering propane as I have two 300 gallon propane tank already on sight. Plus I can always convert it to alcohol or gas, and propane allows me one fuel source for cooking, refrigeration, heat as well as driving.
    The truck goes anywhere. Places modern 4X4 rigs dare not tread. Made of real steel with old school cattle guards it plows through trees like vine maples as if they were not there. It can take some serious abuse. Day to day it is a cool work truck, powerful hauler capable of carrying 1.5 ton loads and looks great pulling the Airstream with the bikes on the bed. Classic.
    In a SHTF scenario or deep woods camping hunting/fishing trip all the living gear, canopy ribs, cots, generator, propane stove oven, refrigerator, gear is all in the camping shed. That can all be loaded and bolted in place in half an hour or so.
    So IMHO a flatbed dually is the Ultimate Bug Out Rig. Older is cooler stronger and a 350 can be maintained repaired even rebuilt by even the most mechanically challenged like myself
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

you guys would be surprised how far you can take a normal travel trailer into no where. When my Father and I go traveling we always find the "off the beaten path roads" which generally mean if we are lucky there might be gravel tracks for a road but generally its just grass and whatever the natural terrain is with out it being a true off road experience. We found one road out in South Dakota that was right on the state line because we crossed in and out of Wyoming and South Dakota 3 or 4 times. The "road" was narry bumpy and in poor condition and eventually led to a one of the fire look out towers. The guy had a 25'-30' travel trailer that he and his wife lived out of while they stayed out at the tower. He told us that he'd been on a lot worse roads than the one we just went. Just proves if you know what you're doing you don't have to spend the extra money to get a "off road camper" unless you really plan on doing stuff where 4 wheel drive is a must...even then there are many stories of people taking 2 wheel drive vehicles into what is considered 4 wheel drive only and out performing their 4wd counter parts.

As far as the shower option. Some campers have an outside shower so as long as you don't mind taking a shower outside you can just convert the inside shower into storage.

Also a generator is a great thing to have if you really plan on roughing it in the middle of no where. For regular camping @ camp grounds with full utilities its not really needed. In all the years we traveled we really only needed one once that I can remember.

Tie down straps are a must. When the wind gets to blowing if your awning is out it can, and has, bent the awning rods or even blown the awning off the sides of trailers. Get the corkscrew ones for the strap you throw across the length of the awning and normal straight in stakes for securing the detachable arms of it.

obviously non perishable food, water, and water purification devices/tablets what have you

if you plan on living off battery power a lot it might be a good idea to check into how much it would cost you to replace all the light bulbs in the trailer with LED lights since they use considerably less power and create little to no heat. At current prices this will cost a decent amount though

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I have a 31 footer and they are great fun but not what I consider a bug out trailer to big and cumbersome to haul down the road in a SHTF scenario. Think it would make us one giant target. One of the small ones might work though. Think there are some older models down to 14 feet that might work.
    Personally I am rebuilding a 55 chevy flatbed truck (again). With a wagon train style canvas cover. Actually the cover is Kevlar scraps from a guy who makes the Kevlar covers for the Alaska pipeline. The ribs are carbon fiber scraps from the Dreamliner. I was going to go with diesel because of the incredible horse power you can get out of diesel. But now I am reconsidering propane as I have two 300 gallon propane tank already on sight. Plus I can always convert it to alcohol or gas, and propane allows me one fuel source for cooking, refrigeration, heat as well as driving.
    The truck goes anywhere. Places modern 4X4 rigs dare not tread. Made of real steel with old school cattle guards it plows through trees like vine maples as if they were not there. It can take some serious abuse. Day to day it is a cool work truck, powerful hauler capable of carrying 1.5 ton loads and looks great pulling the Airstream with the bikes on the bed. Classic.
    In a SHTF scenario or deep woods camping hunting/fishing trip all the living gear, canopy ribs, cots, generator, propane stove oven, refrigerator, gear is all in the camping shed. That can all be loaded and bolted in place in half an hour or so.
    So IMHO a flatbed dually is the Ultimate Bug Out Rig. Older is cooler stronger and a 350 can be maintained repaired even rebuilt by even the most mechanically challenged like myself
    compared to a lot of trailers the airstream is one of the easiest and fuel efficient travel trailer you can have. A quick glance at their website has their biggest trailer having a GVWR of 11,500 which puts it in the tow capabilities of the newer 3/4 ton pick ups. My '73 c10 used to tow our '78 31 foot airstream just fine. I too would go with a smaller one though if you don't need all the space

Administrator
    Those are some good ideas Chevyguy. And Pgrass... thats too funny. It even comes with its own target painted on the side.

For right now, the project is on hold; I'm going to wait until winter and hopefully prices will drop a bit.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Glad you saw the humor
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Those are some good ideas Chevyguy. And Pgrass... thats too funny. It even comes with its own target painted on the side.

For right now, the project is on hold; I'm going to wait until winter and hopefully prices will drop a bit.
    another thing to add to that portable solar panels enough to recharge the batteries on the travel trailer. Most trailers now probably come with between 1-4 deep cycle batteries for power. On the plus side if you choose to go with the motor home route a lot of them have built in generators. again this would be a "i'm going to live in the middle of no where" type situation and isn't really needed for general camping

Good idea on the waiting until winter. It seems logical that people will buy trailers in the summer to go camping with their family, get everything wrong and decide they hate camping, and then are wanting to sell the trailer before school starts back up again.

also if you actually do get a trailer when you get to a camp ground don't be afraid to ask your fellow campers for help. Unless things have completely changed in the 5 or so years since we've done any real camping people in the camp ground are generally very friendly and always willing to lend a hand or advice. My grandparents met many people in camp grounds over the years and even after them being gone we still hear from some of the people they met 10-15 years ago in camp grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    compared to a lot of trailers the airstream is one of the easiest and fuel efficient travel trailer you can have.
    Oh don't get me wrong I love our Airstream. We can set up with all the comforts of home anywhere in the country and explore on the bike. Or take it way back in the sticks and isolate away from everything. It does travel well so well in fact the biggest problem is I forget it is back there.

While we plan to hunker down if SHTF. Our place is getting increasingly self sustaining and due to its location easily defensible against most forces. Plan B is to take the Airstream if we needed to bug out straight into National Forest, we have a route and destination. That we could homestead. If we need to go deeper is where the flatbed would come in.

But I would not recommend it to anyone needing to bail from an urban, suburban or even rural enviromwent through traffic on the open road. It is just to big to navigate through heavy traffic in a hurry and it presents a easy target to 90% of the population who have not bothered to be ready for disaster. While the flatbed can haul through any traffic or shove anything short of a semi out its way. Plus, it is bullet proof, at least to handguns, shotguns and AR15's We shot up the old doors not one bullet made it through the inside skin of the door. As well made as they are and they are very very well made I doubt the aluminum skin of the Airstream would stop a BB gun.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Did someone say ultimate?

Okay so it's not practical. My bug out vehicle in case of EOTWAWKI is the 40 foot sloop I'm gonna steal from the local marina, most of them are outfitted for long haul cruising.

If it hits the fan I'm sailing away.
    MA2, USN

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state". Love your country, but never trust its government.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein.

SIXTO, I saw this on tv last night and thought of your thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76uGRqFavm0

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    SIXTO, I saw this on tv last night and thought of your thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76uGRqFavm0
    Thats pretty cool, but I think if I really felt the need for something like that, I'd have to reconsider my position in life.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Something like this is looking better and better

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...53528QQptZATVs

My plan is actually "hunker down" with 80 acres backed up to the river and about 1.5 miles (or about 4 downriver) from about 1.5 million acres of national forest....but I also keep partially packed a 240 cu. ft. covered trailer that tows easily with either the motorhome or the Trooper.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links