Ultimate (but still practical) bug-out set up

This is a discussion on Ultimate (but still practical) bug-out set up within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took a vacation to clear the webs out, and when I returned, I still had 3 days of no work. That is when I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate (but still practical) bug-out set up

Administrator

I took a vacation to clear the webs out, and when I returned, I still had 3 days of no work. That is when I get in trouble.

I made some moves and horse trades and started the process of making a major purchase.
    I've long had the idea of using a small, easily towable camper as a bug out rig. I went shopping today to see what was what and how much this project is going to set me back. I didn't have the guts to pull the trigger and drop some cash on a camper but I'm getting closer.
    The thought of having a vehicle pre loaded and ready to go where ever gives me a special feeling inside. Shooting schools, sporting clay events, upland hunts or whatever; Just hook the little ole SUV up and head out.
    No more crappy hotels in inconvenient locations for the out of the way trips I like to take.

It also can serve as my mobile long term home should the sky fall or zombies over run my house. I still intend on using my rubber bin approach to bug out, but it will have to be modified a little.

I've narrowed things down a little, and I'm trying to keep the set up as light and compact as possible, yet still allowing it to be self contained. Its a fun and interesting process. I'm open to any advice from experienced campers, as this is a first for me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've been looking at getting an "off road" expedition trailer for my 4Runner!

Anything in particular you're looking at?

Let me know what you come up with SIXTO.

Here are a couple I've been looking at. I have a lot more sources if you're interested.

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/

http://www.campausa.com/detailed_photos.htm
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If you go out
    get an airstream
    Last edited by Yeti; July 7th, 2010 at 12:10 PM.

Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Funny, I was thinking about a small camper or trailer myself as a "bug out bag" on wheels, really good idea I think.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Invest in a cover for it, especially if it's going to be subject to the elements when not in use.

Administrator
    It will be garaged when not in use, and that is another reason I want to stick with a smaller unit. Easy to tow and store.

I've looked at the niche adventure type of trailers, and decided against it. The reasons are that I actually plan on using this somewhat frequently and it will be a bug out vehicle in its secondary role. Also, there are no dealers near me. Warranty work and easy maintenance of items is important to me.

I've decided to stick with the main stream makers. Right now the top two I'm considering are the Coleman Yuma and the Rockwood 1950. I kinda like having my own shower and toilet on board, but it weighs a lot and takes up valuable floor space. I'm not sure if maintaining one of the cassette toilets is something I really want to do. But, with kids....
    Last edited by SIXTO; July 7th, 2010 at 02:29 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You know, playing off the subject line word "Ultimate", the thing that comes to mind is a van-based camper, of sorts.

Here me out...

Conceptually speaking only (your version or interpretation may vary), I've loved the idea of a van platform with a few creature comforts/necessities on board, like any of the Sportsmobile offerings, especially the 4x4s. But there's a whole slew of options out there, from really expensive to dirt cheap.

I grew up camping with my parents in the 70's and 80's, both in trailers and motorhomes, and as kids we used to walk around all over that motorhome while my Dad drove us to wherever we were headed. Gotta pee? Walk to the restroom in the back, but be sure to hang on to something, otherwise mom becomes a very unhappy person. Hungry? Sit at the dinette and chow down. Tired? Lie down for a nap. Good times... Not so much when towing a trailer though. Anyway, a van is just a smaller version of that.

Not trying to derail anything, since I've often thought the same thing. Just another option.

sixto what did you mean by your "rubber bin" bug out? it caught my attention and i was wondering what system it was. thanks!

He means packing in a Rubbermaid type of container.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
    You know, playing off the subject line word "Ultimate", the thing that comes to mind is a van-based camper, of sorts.

Here me out...

Conceptually speaking only (your version or interpretation may vary), I've loved the idea of a van platform with a few creature comforts/necessities on board, like any of the Sportsmobile offerings, especially the 4x4s. But there's a whole slew of options out there, from really expensive to dirt cheap.

I grew up camping with my parents in the 70's and 80's, both in trailers and motorhomes, and as kids we used to walk around all over that motorhome while my Dad drove us to wherever we were headed. Gotta pee? Walk to the restroom in the back, but be sure to hang on to something, otherwise mom becomes a very unhappy person. Hungry? Sit at the dinette and chow down. Tired? Lie down for a nap. Good times... Not so much when towing a trailer though. Anyway, a van is just a smaller version of that.

Not trying to derail anything, since I've often thought the same thing. Just another option.
    I kinda agree with Hiker. This is what I have been thinking about. Tiger Motor Homes - Provan Industries Built on a One-Ton Truck, with or without dually rear wheels. Similar is size to the Van. The downside to mine and Hiker's approach is another vehicle to insure, the upside is something that can be easier to drive. These setups can park in a single space at the local Walmart and can be quite capable in most off road situations (not extreme up the cliff stuff, but you aren't planning on that anyway were you?)

Just my 2
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

You might want to look into one of the "Toy Haulers" the small RV's with a cargo bay in the back. They're designed to hold a couple of 4-wheelers or snowmobiles but it would work great to stack your rubber bins and other supplies in.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

We've been looking at pop-ups too. There are some smaller offroad options that might appeal to you as well. Check these out....been looking at them myself. Never thought of it as a bugout option

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/

http://www.tentrax.com/OffRoadAT_Trailer.html

Senior Moderator

Runs and is only $6600
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Ya you can get some cool old school military vehicles for not a whole lot, and they are built like a tank! Most are 4 wheel drive and you can go about anywhere with them.

www.alfaheaven.com
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links