Innertube for grip sleeve

This is a discussion on Innertube for grip sleeve within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys, I have a Glock 30, what size bike innertube should I pick up to use as a grip sleeve?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Innertube for grip sleeve

Innertube for grip sleeve

Guys, I have a Glock 30, what size bike innertube should I pick up to use as a grip sleeve?

2. Remove Ads

Huh?
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Some people like to use a bike innertube for grip on their glock, instead of the Talon Grips, or some other "grip tape" type of stick-on-grip.
    I'm wondering which size innertube would be the right size to use.

You'd cut a piece of innertube out so it's like a small sleeve, then slide it up over your glock grip.

Simple cut 'N' fit by trial and error should work, just start with a small tire.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

your better off just getting a Hogue or Pachmayr slip-on grip..probably not going to cost you much more then a innertube..

$4.00 or so for the innertube, readily available, cut many pieces out of one tube, no shipping...

I'm asking if anyone else has done this and what size tube. I've read about this on several gun forums.

I don't know the official size, but a 20" BMX tube will be perfect. I use pieces of 'em to disable the grip safeties on my XDs.

I have done that with my Kel tec P 11s. Works fine. Just buy a bicycle inner tube. It will be tight enough.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I don't know the official size, but a 20" BMX tube will be perfect. I use pieces of 'em to disable the grip safeties on my XDs.
    That's what I used on my G27. Works great and it isn't as bulky as the Pachmayr or Hogue grip sleeves.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I hate to admit it, but there are two things I always scoffed at, skate board or step tap (non-slip and gritty) and inner tube grips.

I have to swallow my pride and say that the inner tube idea works better than anything else I've ever tried. I've used Agrips and houge mini-grips with good results but recently tried an inner tube to take on the sharp checkering of a Kahr P380. I intended it as a stop gap measure until I could buy an A grip for it. In the past I used houge mini-grips and trimmed them myself, fitting them upside down and they do work well but even the mini would move on my P380 and then the finger groove wouldn't be perfectly positioned.

The inner tube is 4.00 versus $12.00 for a hogue minigrip or $26 for the A grip. It's grip is the perfect feel, handles cleaning solvents well, doesn't slip or rotate at all an you can cut a dozen out of one tube.

They're better in my opinon than the Hogues any day of the week.

Then there's these thin (1" wide I think) grip strips I bought at Lowes. they're intended for the leading edges of steps. I used them on my Kahr K9 and Mk9. First they're cheap. They stick good and I mean GOOD. I only have to cut them once and the width is perfect so they look totally commercial. They're just a tad rough when first applied but after a use or two they're perfect.

I always laughed in my head at the guys who said front strap checkering was a waste of money when you could use these strips. I'm not laughing any more. Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE and want 30 lpi checkering on my guns but the inner tube and the step strips are too super cheap solutions that actually seem to work as good or better than the costly main solutions.

I'm sold on them now.

I can't answer your question but I think you'll be surprised how good the results are once you do get the right side. If you have the right size it's a pain to put on but the upside is that is totally stays put!

Gideon

Try a Limbsaver the are on all my polymer firearms
    Caertaker likes this.

Cool A long time ago.....

We use to wrap several rubberbands around the grips of our j-frames and stick them in our belts......kept the gun from sliding around and made the grip larger.....now that's old school. We also use to wrap our roping saddle horns with automobile innertubes to protect them from the ropes when tied off on a steer. ...... Sorry just living in the past for a moment.....LOL

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

i tried this on my pistol, but the rubber split and tore off after about a month.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    If your's splits that soon/easily then it was either too tight or to thin or some combination of the two. Mountain bike tubes are much thicker. They do need to be tight enough to not move but not so tight as to split the second you get a nick in it.

I do recommend Agrips a lot if you don't mind paying for them. I don't think they look too good but the feel is great!

Gideon

I agree about the AGrips. I have one on my G21SF and love it. The guy who makes the AGrips is actually about 30-45 minutes away from where I live. but his operation is at his house, not a storefront, so I can't just go pick them up. Have to still have them shipped.
    I was just interested in trying the innertube idea to see how I like it. I'll grab a tube tomorrow and try it.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links