Gear to buy to bring to the range?

This is a discussion on Gear to buy to bring to the range? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all! I am relatively new to long range shooting and have just purchased a new Remington 700 SPS .308 that I can't wait to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear to buy to bring to the range?

Gear to buy to bring to the range?

Hey all!
    I am relatively new to long range shooting and have just purchased a new Remington 700 SPS .308 that I can't wait to take to the range! Can you all help me with a list of all essential (and maybe not essential) equipment that I should get to make sure that I have all the bases covered?
    I have to be relatively budget conscious or I'll wind up in the doghouse with the wife!

Looking forward to hearing all your great advice, thanks!

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    • Sunblock.
    • Data book.
    • Shooting mat.
    • Bandana to keep sun off neck.
    • Lens pen
    • Insect Repellant

Good choice on the rifle. Depending on the range and power of your rifle's scope, a spotting scope is a good investment, so you can see your hits from a distance. Sandbags to rest the rifle on for zeroing it in, to reduce shooter error. I prefer shoot n see type targets for long range.

And the stuff JD said.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Forgot to add...

I will also have a Harris bipod on it and the range is about 300 yards. Thanks for the quick replies! Keep 'em coming!

Senior Moderator
    Benchrest
    Spotting Scope
    Water
    lots of ammo
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Mustn’t forget the essentials hearing protection and eye protection. Also a cleaning kit is nice to have along
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Scope ideas?

Any suggestions on a good scope in the $350 area? The longest range I am going to use is approximately 300 yards.

Administrator
    I'm partial to Nikon, but there are several good spotting scopes out there. Even the cheapo Tasco's are pretty good anymore.

And you will end up ditching the bipod soon enough.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My spotting scope is a Bushnell, I got it for around $100 at Bass Pro, its a 12x36 model, and works just fine, although its not the prettiest.

For rifle scopes I just put a new Redfield 4x12 on my 700 SPS, it was around $200 and I'm pleased with it, or a Leupold base model is around $350, or you can get Nikons for under that.

3x9 or 4x12 should be enough for the ranges you want to shoot.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

A set of bits and a driver that fit the action, scope, and mount screws.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    targets...
    staple gun...
    large smile...

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar

I Bring More Gear Now That I Do Outdoor Shooting Than I Ever Did When I Did Indoors

-some first aid kit, especially hemostat bandages
    -goggles for both shooting and cleaning (prefer to have my own since the ones for rental are scratched)
    -shooting mat used for kneeling or prone firing (any exercise mat is fine/I have a Blackhawk shooting mat that can be rolled up and slung over my shoulder/also contains pockets for certain items, it's expensive though)
    -field jacket (prefer to use that in place of my good jackets and also good to replicate them when doing a draw from a belt holster beneath it), knit cap or balaclava, and hand warmers (for winter)
    -silhouette targets
    -stickies to stick on my silhouette targets if I decide to do controlled, aimed fire (turns from black to green when hit)
    -chamber flags (required at the outdoor range)
    -earplugs (free at the outdoor range)
    -AR-15 ammunition vest (for carrying AR-15 magazines and other items)
    -pocket sized notebook (for logging how many rounds fired and for an outline of shooting techniques)
    -ballpoint pen (can also be used for taking apart the bolt off of the rifle in case of an emergency bolt/bolt parts replacement)
    -spare bolt (in case extractors and gas rings malfunction and needed to be replaced on the spot)
    -CLP spray bottle (in case the bolt/bolt assembly of the AR-15 needs re-oiling/I also spray the bolt/bolt assembly on my AR-15 the day before the range session)
    -pliers (for pulling out extractor pin in case extractor needs to be replaced right away)
    -handgun holsters and long gun slings (the shotgun sling also contains a shell pouch) used for that shooting day
    -gun carrying cases (only for the guns being transported and not being holstered on my own person/only items, besides my gun cabinet, that I can place my gun related stickers on)
    -bottled water to stay hydrated
    -du-rag to absorb the sweat on my head as well as to prevent it from running down my face during the heat (and no, it's not for looking cool=LOL)
    -magazines for either my handguns or my rifle used at the range [I mainly bring the ones that is already in use with my gun(s)]
    -staple gun used for posting targets (issued by the outdoor range)
    -target ammo (if I decide not to consume my self-defense ammo at the range)
    -replacement self-defense ammo to replace the old self-defense rounds that my concealed carry handgun consumed at the range
    -speedloaders for pistol magazines (I can load by hand but they just make reloading the mags a lot quicker and easier)
    -cellphone for emergencies (it's left off at the range)
    -gun mat (to protect my gun I am currently firing while I place it on a table during a break at the firing lane station or when the range goes cold)
    -reflective hunting vest (for use to replicate a photgrapher's vest, which I don't use at the range, if I practice CC draw from a belt holster beneath it) for spring or fall
    -Surefire C2 Centurion tactical light (for practice w/ low light shooting)
    -jogging jacket also set aside for shooting in 50-60 degree weather and also useful for concealed carry draw practice using a belt holster beneath it
    -silicone cloth (for wiping the concealed carry gun that I shoot before I reload and reholster it when I leave the range)
    -range bag (for pistol accessories) or tackle box (for long gun accessories)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglinphoto View Post
    Any suggestions on a good scope in the $350 area? The longest range I am going to use is approximately 300 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm partial to Nikon, but there are several good spotting scopes out there. Even the cheapo Tasco's are pretty good anymore.

And you will end up ditching the bipod soon enough.
    I thought you were talking spotting scopes above; Bushnell, Millet, Redfield all make good affordable scopes. Bushnell makes some good spotting scopes too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You left out a porter to help carry all that crap.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

This is all great advice! How about advice on good target ammo for the Remington 700 .308?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links