Pistol Laser sight experience

This is a discussion on Pistol Laser sight experience within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Because of trouble acquiring good sight picture focus with my trifocals, I am considering purchase of Crimson Trace laser for my Walther PPK/S. I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Laser sight experience

Because of trouble acquiring good sight picture focus with my trifocals, I am considering purchase of Crimson Trace laser for my Walther PPK/S. I am anxious to hear positive and negative experiences from those who have used laser. I am not in law enforcement.

pic added qks

Here's a couple of short "blurbs" I've typed regarding lasers.
    As you may guess, I'm a fan of them, especially for those of us with vision problems.

Biker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While reading "Combat Handguns" I came across an article by Walt Rauch that gives a good argument for lasers. He is quoting none other than Jim Cirrilo in his article. The discussion is on seeing your sights.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "As far as obtaining a classic sight picture, Jim said: "In law enforcement, your problem isn't at your front sight, it's in the background." He explained, "As a police officer , you're obligated to make sure that the person you're shooting is the one you should be shooting. You can't let God sort them out." Also, "...if you're looking at your front sight you can't see that some poor guy is pulling a black wallet out of his back pocket-you think he's pulling out a gun."

During a lethal encounter we, as humans, are "hard-wired" to look at our threat. We need to be able to see what the threat is doing, and lasers allow you to do this better than looking at your front sight. You are already looking at the threat. So, if the threat has a little red dot on his or her chest, since you are already looking at them, it stands to reason that you would be faster in getting your shot off than if you went to the traditional sight picture. Also, unless you are in direct sunlight it stands to reason that you will see your laser dot easier too.

Lasers allow you to see where your bullets are going and allow you to devote more of your focus on the actual threat. What you thought was a threat may in fact turn out to not be a threat. I'd rather spend the extra money for a laser in hopes that I don't have to use them than to need them and not have them. I also want to know that my bullets are going to strike their intended target.

No, lasers won't magically put the bullets you fire in the X Ring if you jerk and mash the trigger. You still need to manipulate the trigger in a proper manner. What a laser does is aide you in putting the bullets where they need to go. Funny, I think that's what sights do too.

Maybe I'm over-estimating the cost, but I go forth during my daily routine with the thought that not only does every bullet I fire have a lawyer attatched to it, but also that each bullet will cost me $50,000. That means I need to be accurate and right in what I choose to do.

Just some food for thought. Take care and stay safe.

Biker
    Laser Grips for the Hi Power are great, IMHO.

From a rest I never shot such a tight group in my life. What I have found is, at "normal" combat distance, out to 10 Yards or so, I'm quicker with the Laser Grips between shots and in getting the first shot off. After that, as the distance inreases, I prefer the traditional sight picture.

It took me forever to get my laser grips "dialed in", but once I did, I was very pleased with the result. At longer distances I find the "quivering" too much of a distraction. As Massad Ayoob says, "Unless you're Robo-Cop" nobody can hold the gun perfectly still." At closer distances this isn't a problem, but when I try to keep five shots on a 3" x 5" Index Card at 25 Yards, it's too distracting with the laser. By the way, When I shoot at 25 Yards, that's from a free-standing position with the gun in my hands, not resting on a table.

I have yet to try the Laser Grips under all light conditions, but I already know what I prefer in dim light with my glasses off. Without my glasses I'm better with a laser than trying to see my front Sight.

Take care and stay safe and I hope that helps.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Ive got a CT LG on my K 1911. Enough acronyms haha..

I love it! I have 2020 vision and I LOVE IT. It takes geting used to trusting your sight picture when that laser is past the point you zero'd it.

i.e. I have it zero'd at 25 yards however if im shooting at 10 or 30 the beam is not where the sights line up. Just takes a little getting used to overriding the red dot or there is a little on off switch on the grips.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I wear trifocals.

I have a laser in my EDC.

I'll never go back on the EDC -- albeit recently I shot 98 in a timed qual practice w/ some LEO friends using iron sights while wearing my "range" glasses which are "focused" at arms length, so that the front sight is very clear. If things go bad, I won't have the time to find and put on range glasses. Tilting my head to find the "right" trifocal "focus" at arms length isn't going to happen when the adrenalin is pumping.

OTOH, I also practice enough "point shooting" that for close quarters it's not likely to matter much which sights I have.

As always YMMV
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I'm a believer in lasers. I've got CT grips on my snubby and have ordered them for my 228.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

I wear trifocals - I really like my ArmaLaser a lot!!!

Here's why:
    1. I'm on target faster.
    2. I'm more accurate.
    3. It's better and faster than iron sights in low light and especially in the dark.
    4. I can shoot from almost any body position with either hand or both hands very accurately.
    5. It's as fast as point shooting, but much more accurate.
    6. My head doesn't have to be in line or level with the gun.
    7. The laser requires only viewing the target and not the gun.
    8. My arm, hand, and gun don’t have to be in a position that blocks vision around the target area.
    9. I can see peripherally much better.
    10. Wearing multi-focal eyeglasses requires acquiring the correct focal portion of the glasses as well as acquiring sight alignment and sight picture (I wear trifocals). Not necessary with the laser.
    Also, with some multi-focal eyeglass wearers if the sights are in focus the target isn't or visa-versa.
    11. The laser helps with trigger pull and natural pointing during dry fire and hot fire practice.
    12. The gun prints less like a gun in pocket carry.
    13. The iron sights are still there if you want them.

This is my review on the ArmaLaser:
    http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4522

To those detractors that haven't actually tried it, all I can say is - "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it"!

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

The one beef I have is it makes holster searches much more difficult. Were I to get another I would go with the LaserMax internal system that replaces the guide rod.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I have never used a laser but would like to add a comment for you to consider. I think the Crimson Trace is a wonderful product and have considered getting one myself. Recently, however, I have discovered the new "green" lasers. There are drawbacks to using green lasers. GLs, for example, are temperature sensitive and do not work very well in colder temperatures (below 40 degrees - I think). The advantage, however, is they are not only easier to see in day light but are easier to differentiate in lower light situations as well. Depending on your application, you may want to consider at least looking at a GL - assuming there is a model that will fit you specific gun. The GLs are usually a little more expensive than red lasers so that might be a factor for you to consider as well. Its not that I'm trying to talk you out of the Crimson Trace by any means but only trying to show you another option to consider - never hurts to consider your options.

Grace & Peace,

Re: Laser Sights.

Hi

I have just fired my new Ruger LCP for the first time. I went to an indoor range and bought a paper target. I ran it out to the red line of 21 feet and fired the gun using the laser. The first thing that happened was that it felt like the gun nearly hit me in the head. Was I surprised!! After firing three clips I found that they were all grouped very close to the bullseye, most in the center. I haven't fired a gun since the Army in 1964. I was very pleased and surprised just how many times the Bad Guy would have been hit where I wanted to hit him. Well worth the money for a 67 year old. I then fired my other new gun, The Ruger LCR, 38 special. That is without laser sights. I hit the bad guy, but not where I tried to hit him. It would have ended the gun fight or attack. It is also a lot more enjoyable to shoot then the LCP.
    I read all about how inadequate the .380 is, well as hard as that thing kicked, I thought I sure wouldn't want to be hit by the bullet.
    Jim

My 2 EDC have 2 things

Night sights
    CT Laser grips

I want every possible advantage.

I have CT LaserGuard on my Glock 26. If you want to improve the accuracy of your shooting, CT Lg's really help a LOT. It will also improve your trigger pull as you can see the red dot shifting low and leftwhen you are pulling poorly. BUT you will have some difficulty seeing the laser dot in bright sunlight. AND you have to sight it in at either 7, 25 or 50 yards. (You should proably not be doing self defense shooting at 50 yards since a jury might have trouble believing the threat was close enough to be dangerous to you). I'd suggest you dial it in to about 15 yards and it will be a good compromise for 7 and 25 yards
    Last edited by DoctorBob; July 25th, 2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    AND you have to sight it in at either 7, 25 or 50 yards. (You should proably not be doing self defense shooting at 50 yards since a jury might have trouble believing the threat was close enough to be dangerous to you). I'd suggest you dial it in to about 15 yards and it will be a good compromise for 7 and 25 yards
    - I've calibrated my three Crimson Trace lasers (Kahr PM9, P380 and Ruger LCP) for 25'. I've noticed that the point of impact is almost identical at 50'.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    My 2 EDC have 2 things

Night sights
    CT Laser grips

I want every possible advantage.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I have them on my Smith snubbie. I like the grips and it works well for me.

Ex Member
    I have them on 2 weapons. Love them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links