Does Anyone have a Good Strike Bezel Flashlight defense story to share?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone have a Good Strike Bezel Flashlight defense story to share? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With restrictions in place so that concealed carriers are NOT permitted to carry ANYWHERE (places with restrictions like courthouse, etc.) and given to my knowledge ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone have a Good Strike Bezel Flashlight defense story to share?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

With restrictions in place so that concealed carriers are NOT permitted to carry ANYWHERE (places with restrictions like courthouse, etc.) and given to my knowledge there are NO restrictions against flashlights with strike bezels, does anyone have a good story to share where you either have personally used your flashlight with strike bezel for defensive purposes or have heard a story where someone used their flashlight with strike bezel for defensive purposes? I occassionally hear of people saying they would use a strike bezel flashlight but have never heard of anyone actually doing it.

Thank you for sharing.

Grace & Peace,

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I might have shared this in other posts/forums before but here it is. I was on port visit during a ship deployment/cruise to Rome, Italy. My buddies were at McDonalds getting some fast food while I waited and stood in front of the place. Then some disturbed man of Middle Eastern/Pakistani/Indian (can't tell nowadays) walked up to me shouting in Italian. I got in a bladed de-escalation stance (palms up, shoulder width apart) as I ordered him to back off. As he came at arms length, I pushed him with my lead hand. He came at me again, push kicked him with my lead foot. Again, he came at me and this time I swept my jacket with my rear hand and pulled out my Surefire 6P Defender w/ crenelated strike bezel from my Surefire speed holster. Even before I got a chance to shine the light on him or if necessary, strike him on his head/neck, he ran away terrified, thinking I had a knife or gun, and bumping into other passersbys in the process. As I scanned all around me for any other threats, my 2 buddies saw the whole thing. Although I appeared calm, my heart was beating rapidly. But I am glad no one got hurt. It never hurts to have a tactical light as it is my minimum for being armed. I can carry it anywhere in (even carried it on base and in court too) and outside the US as there are no current regulations as to flashlight carry. You never know what can transpire, I never leave home w/o it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    I might have shared this in other posts/forums before but here it is. I was on port visit during a ship deployment/cruise to Rome, Italy. My buddies were at McDonalds getting some fast food while I waited and stood in front of the place. Then some disturbed man of Middle Eastern/Pakistani/Indian (can't tell nowadays) walked up to me shouting in Italian. I got in a bladed de-escalation stance (palms up, shoulder width apart) as I ordered him to back off. As he came at arms length, I pushed him with my lead hand. He came at me again, push kicked him with my lead foot. Again, he came at me and this time I swept my jacket with my rear hand and pulled out my Surefire 6P Defender w/ crenelated strike bezel from my Surefire speed holster. Even before I got a chance to shine the light on him or if necessary, strike him on his head/neck, he ran away terrified, thinking I had a knife or gun, and bumping into other passersbys in the process. As I scanned all around me for any other threats, my 2 buddies saw the whole thing. Although I appeared calm, my heart was beating rapidly. But I am glad no one got hurt. It never hurts to have a tactical light as it is my minimum for being armed. I can carry it anywhere in (even carried it on base and in court too) and outside the US as there are no current regulations as to flashlight carry. You never know what can transpire, I never leave home w/o it.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad everything worked out as well.

VIP Member
    I had my SureFire E2D LED Defender with me one afternoon when I stopped by the Courthouse to get some paperwork... the deputy at the metal detector saw my light laying in the basket where you empty your pockets, picked up the light, felt the bezel with his thumb, looked at me and said "you'll have to leave this here this time and don't try bringing it in here again!"

Well, it seems he immediately recognized it as a potential weapon.

So don't be surprised if calling it "just a flashlight" doesn't work!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I had my SureFire E2D LED Defender with me one afternoon when I stopped by the Courthouse to get some paperwork... the deputy at the metal detector saw my light laying in the basket where you empty your pockets, picked up the light, felt the bezel with his thumb, looked at me and said "you'll have to leave this here this time and don't try bringing it in here again!"

I have wondered about that. I have heard a story where someone tried to board an airplane with a flashlight with a strike bezel and was asked about it. I heard he explained that it is made that way so you could see that the light was on if you lay it down with the bezel face down. The checker gave the okay for him to board. I'm thinking that with this story of the air plane checker, he could've easily said no-go. I think a lot of it depends on the discretion of the the checker, etc. I wonder what the guy at the courthouse would've said if you had a Benchmade pen on your person?

I was wondering how security and such would view the E2D Defender. I've got one myself. I'll be heading to DC/MD for a wedding in August and think that this may be my only form of defense that I can bring along. I am worried about it being stolen from my luggage....and I'm guessing I won't make it past TSA with it in carry on. Anyone have experience flying with one (E2D with/strike bezel)??

Deputy Is Full of Hogwash

You are going to have to consult with a firearms/self-defense knowledgeable criminal attorney pertaining to that. He cannot make the rules himself just because he is the deputy and a flashlight no matter its appearance, unless it is a pepper spray at the same time, is not considered a weapon and there are no set of rules or laws that prohibit carrying certain types of flashlights or such places that prohibit carrying a flashlight. That deputy on duty is just some control freak trying to make his own set of rules, which he is not allowed. I have carried my 6P Defender w/ crenelated strike bezel anywhere and no one gave me any problems, except a few guards on base stating it is a cool light and asked about its price and where to get it before they gave it back to me. If that deputy ***** continues to harrass and threaten you if you enter into court again w/ that light, you need to either contact his supervisors or better yet, talk with a lawyer to create a case for harrassment. And, anything, besides that E2D, can be a potential weapon. Again, it's your call if you want to let it stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    I was wondering how security and such would view the E2D Defender. I've got one myself. I'll be heading to DC/MD for a wedding in August and think that this may be my only form of defense that I can bring along. I am worried about it being stolen from my luggage....and I'm guessing I won't make it past TSA with it in carry on. Anyone have experience flying with one (E2D with/strike bezel)??
    It should, unless you are going to the UK, where it is said that it is illegal. Other than that, it's legal in all 50 states. I have carried it when I went I flew to FL 2 yrs. ago to attend a course. I stayed there for 45 days and all I had then was my walking/self-defense cane (temporarily tore an MCL there at that time) and 2 Surefire lights (6P Defender and as an extra, just in case, the C2 Centurion). Also, don't forget to bring spare batteries.

News travels fast

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad everything worked out as well.
    During the aftermath, the news of my incident spread throughout my ship like a wildfire. A lot of my fellow crew exaggerated it and such about what I did. And, I don't consider myself a Superman or hero, although I was thought of it that way. Flattered by it though (LOL).

I'm kinda surprised that there aren't any more stories or accounts than this pertaining to using a flashlight with a strike bezel for SD purposes. I did see a Gangland episode today that talked about a motorcycle gang carrying big flashlights to use as weapons b/c they can be legally OC them anywhere. The dramatization, however showed the big 2 or 3 D Maglites as opposed to an actual light with a strike bezel though.

I nearly used one as an impact weapon, but the strobe function of the light I had took the BG out of the fight before I could use it. It was a Surefire with an aftermarket switch, not a big strike bezel, just the small scaloped edge. I have no doubt the dude on the receiving end was lucky the strobe got him.

Story here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-night-and-won.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Might have been the Hell's Angels as I have seen on "Gangland". Correct me if you can on that. But a 3 D-Cell light is not a bad idea either to carry one with me to the polling places this November in case some radical group, like the New Black Panthers, want to physically intimidate me at front entrance. I still have my 3 D-Cell Maglite under by bed and also found my old flashlight carry ring I used in my military police days and will bring both of them this coming election. Guns and knives are not allowed at polling places. And since flashlights are not prohibited, it's not such a bad idea after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Might have been the Hell's Angels as I have seen on "Gangland". Correct me if you can on that. But a 3 D-Cell light is not a bad idea either to carry one with me to the polling places this November in case some radical group, like the New Black Panthers, want to physically intimidate me at front entrance. I still have my 3 D-Cell Maglite under by bed and also found my old flashlight carry ring I used in my military police days and will bring both of them this coming election. Guns and knives are not allowed at polling places. And since flashlights are not prohibited, it's not such a bad idea after all.
    They might do it too, but the one I saw was on the Sons of Silence.

I agree, carrying a big light with some weight might not be a bad idea either.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I nearly used one as an impact weapon, but the strobe function of the light I had took the BG out of the fight before I could use it. It was a Surefire with an aftermarket switch, not a big strike bezel, just the small scaloped edge. I have no doubt the dude on the receiving end was lucky the strobe got him.

Story here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-night-and-won.
    Superhouse 15

I would like to know the make of the aftermarket strobe tail cap you use. There doesn't seem to be too much information on these caps lately, and the few I could find weren't rated very highly by the people but the dates were 2007 &2009. By now there must be some that work as advertised .

Thanks in advance, Bill
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

I bought it at thefiringline dot com. Can't remember the name, Solarforce? maybe.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links