Am I being paranoid about carrying a 5.11 backpack?

This is a discussion on Am I being paranoid about carrying a 5.11 backpack? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; defcon, This is the first time I have read any of your post . I'm assuming that you are a young person so I may ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I being paranoid about carrying a 5.11 backpack?

5.11 back pack

defcon, This is the first time I have read any of your post . I'm assuming that you are a young person so I may sound a little annal. My first thought is this person even ready to carry a gun and second , why carry a gun in a back pack?
    I have carried off and on for almost 50 years and never dreamed of carrying a gun in a pac unless it might be on camping trip or such. This week I'm using a Simply Rugged Pancake holster for my SP101. Last week I used the CrossBreed Super tuck.
    For really deep concealment try the Smart Carry. If you feel the need to carry a concealed weapon I would suggest that you forget the back pack and get one of the many good concealment holsters.
    Just my personal opine. Your mileage may vary.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Yup, you're over-thinking this!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Carrying in a backpack doesn't seem to be a very good choice if you were confronted with a threatening situation. Most bad guys will not allow you the time it would take to un-shoulder your backpack, unzip it and find your handgun.
    Proud NRA member

I'd tell them

"In Missouri dial 511 for highway emergencies!"

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I think you overly concerned about carrying a bag. (A "get-home-bag" ; "bug-out-bag" or "survival" bag in your car or in close proximity is a fantastic idea!)

However, I agree with "claybird" & "orangevol". Carrying a personal SDW in a bag is NOT the best choice. A handgun used for self-defense needs to be "instantly" accessible.

Once you get you "conceal" carry permit, you might want to consider a IWB type holster so you can "carry" on your person.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    a lot of great input. Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

I've been carrying a Maxpedition Operator Tactical Attache bag for about 2 years now, using it as a laptop case (and cramming a whole lot of other stuff in there, even baby wipes, extra diapers, etc). Not one person in all that time has ever asked about it or even suspects what the bag is capable of concealing. I love having tons of pockets for all my computer/misc gear.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    If it's a problem, head to the outdoors store and look at some of the packs made by Camelbak instead.
    This is a good option. The water bladder section can make for a good concealment area since it's not an obvious pocket (it zips from the backside), as long as you remove the bladder.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Paranoid over what?? I think you are WAAAY overthinking this....it's a bag....so what if it says 5.11 on it? Unwanted attention??

Here's the thing...there are people who OC....and more often than not, other people STILL don't see the gun...Really, I wouldn't worry about it. I think you give people too much credit to put together 5.11 = gun

Following your logic...why would someone WANT to mess with you knowing (or suspecting) you are armed??
    Yeah, I wouldn't think this much about a bag. I'm sure 90% of the people on this site wouldn't recognize a 5.11 bag in the open without googling and looking for it. Get whatever bag suits you the best.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Cool

Here's a thought, if you're really worried couldn't you use a black sharpie to color the label over.

Common Sense...The Rarest Of All Senses
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Quote Originally Posted by Martini13 View Post
    Here's a thought, if you're really worried couldn't you use a black sharpie to color the label over.

Common Sense...The Rarest Of All Senses
    You could just stitch another patch over the 511 logo...

It's going to be hard to get to it in your bag in the middle of an emergency

I wear a Glock sweatshirt from time to time. I've been asked by half a dozen complete strangers if I work for a locksmith company (due to the Glock design, most people don't put it together). Only 1 person actually realized what it was. I'm not afraid of people associating a firearm brand, or other tactically inclined brand with CC.

"Laws can't control the lawless"

Christian Gun Owner

VIP Member
    The only comment I have is that I think a carry gun belongs on your person, IWB, OWB, Pocket, Smart Carry, Ankle--nah, under shirt, belly band, shoulder holster, but NEVER off your body in a bag you might lose, get stolen, forget, or have someone go through when you turn your back.

When I first began, Fanny Packs were real popular--- for about a year. They have the same off body carry issues as your pack and some also "scream" gun.

My take on life is you want to blend. You want to look like everyone else. You want to be under radar. You don't want to be the guy the cops pick out. You don't want to be the guy the gang-bangers pick out. You don't want to bring attention to yourself. You don't want to appear fearsome, and you don't want to appear excessively meek. You don't want to look un-attentive, or excessively vigilant. Blend.

So, strikes against the 5.11 back pack no matter how good it is. 1) some will notice;
    2) your gun will be in the wrong place; 3) without realizing it you might be trying to project that tacti-cool image, or you will project it without meaning to do so.

Where I live, blue jeans, running shoes, T shirt and medium short hair work. Keep whatever it says on the T-shirt politically neutral and clean. Dress and look like a good ole' cowboy and you fit in. Someplace else it takes a business suit. Whatever. Just don't stand out, and keep it on your body.

No you're not paranoid. We really are staring at you and talking about you behind your back. But it has nothing to do with 5.11 stuff.

Feel better?

Don't worry about it. Get what works best for you.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links