Am I being paranoid about carrying a 5.11 backpack?

This is a discussion on Am I being paranoid about carrying a 5.11 backpack? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wasn't exactly sure where to post this question but thought that this area would be appropriate given the nature of the question. I apologize ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I being paranoid about carrying a 5.11 backpack?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this question but thought that this area would be appropriate given the nature of the question. I apologize upfront if this should've been posted somewhere else.

I copied part of a response I used in another thread because I had a question to ask but didn't think it would be appropriate to ask it in the other thread per my desire to NOT hijack threads - so...if it sounds similar to something I've written before, that is why.

I've been looking at backpacks lately and I had my eye on a 5.11 bag. I take my back pack everywhere for various reasons. In the near future, when I get my CCDW (I've already taken the class and am waiting for background to clear) I may carry my G23 in my back pack. I'm still considering my carry options - right now I have a Galco shoulder holster, a nice 5.11 fanny pack that I love and a back pack I could possibly use to carry. The point I'm trying to make is that as nice as the 5.11 Rush 24 backpack is and as much as I'd like to have one, I am concerned that it may draw un-wanted attention. It may be unlikely to happen but I don't like the idea of someone recognizing the 5.11 backpack and pegging me for a concealed carrier. Before someone says what about the 5.11 fannypack? For reasons I won't go into now, I'll just say that it'll be disguised in such a manner it is not going to be recognized as a 5.11 product, etc. It is a shame that I am a law abiding citizen but I feel like I have to act like I'm doing something wrong by exercising my right to carry but the fact of the matter is that although I'm allowed to carry, people are going to jump to conclusions without knowing anything about me based on the perception that I may be carrying a firearm. My feelings are if you are going to be concealed then you should use appropriate precautions to make sure your weapon remains concealed until YOU decide to present it. Given this idea, I don't want my efforts to conceal be compromised by my carrying the 5.11 back pack.

As a result of my thinking previously stated, I DID NOT buy the 5.11 backpack but instead bought an upper scale type back pack. The one I bought is very well made and it has lots of compartments and will probably be as useful as the 5.11 bag I was looking at. The biggest advantage that the 5.11 bag has over the one I bought is that it is made so that you can add additional accessories that are suitable for carrying a firearm and that is the reason that I wanted to the 5.11 bag to begin with.

I guess my question is;

Do you think I'm being paranoid about carrying the 5.11 bag? I'm sure MOST people would never recognize the product and it's multiple intended uses that involve firearms. You know how the saying goes, however, it only takes one... It only takes one person to recognize the bag and to spread the word that the bag may be a tip off that I'm carrying.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not ashamed of carrying but there are a number of reasons as to why I wish to be concealed. My desire to be concealed is to the extent that I won't even open carry because I live in a small town and I don't want people see me open carrying because in the future when I am concealed, they will know that I am an owner that carries and I could be carrying that day.

I think realistically speaking, the only people that are going to recognize the 5.11 bag is law enforcement & other carriers and for the most part I don't think any of those aforementioned people would ever say anything but I don't like leaving things to risk/chance when/if I don't have to.

Is there any ideas or insight that anyone has pertaining to how I view carrying the 5.11 bag as well as not open carrying per my desire to be covert?

Paranoid over what?? I think you are WAAAY overthinking this....it's a bag....so what if it says 5.11 on it? Unwanted attention??

Here's the thing...there are people who OC....and more often than not, other people STILL don't see the gun...Really, I wouldn't worry about it. I think you give people too much credit to put together 5.11 = gun

Following your logic...why would someone WANT to mess with you knowing (or suspecting) you are armed??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Paranoid over what?? I think you are WAAAY overthinking this....it's a bag....so what if it says 5.11 on it?
    This. Besides, unless someone is right up on you no one is going to notice the black logo on a black bag (assuming you don't get one of the red ones) and even then who looks at the logos on peoples bags to determine the type of person someone is? It's like saying my backpack with the ING Direct logo on it says I'm a banker and it must be full of cash.

I wouldn't worry about it, most people will think that 5.11 is just another 'emergency number'...

I did a search for the 5.11 pack and was impressed with it's capabilities...looks like a great pack to me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I can understand where you are coming from. I also agree that a pack is a pack. Now for the "however". 5.11 and Maxpedition and others look "tactical". They are, by and large, very good equipment, but they tend to stand out. If you are looking for the flexibility of adding gear and don't mind the occasional odd look or question, go for the 5.11 if that is the one you want. If, on the other hand, you want to blend in, stay away from military or tactical looking items.

People may not look at the label on the pack, but they will notice if it doesn't look like all the other packs they have seen. This will make the Gray Man stick out like neon. Personal choice.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I doubt most people will even know what 5:11 is. If anyone ask, just say it was a gift, and you're not sure what it means.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I don't think your being paranoid. I thought the same thing about my maxpedition bag.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

JD
    Administrator
    YES.
    That's like assuming someone wearing camouflage is armed just because they are wearing camouflage, never mind the fact they're some anti-gun hippy or a National Guardsman etc.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    If it's a problem, head to the outdoors store and look at some of the packs made by Camelbak instead. The 5.11 packs have more hooks and stuff on the outside, but for a great outdoors-type pack that says "hiker" instead of "survivalist" they fit the bill. I have a smaller one that makes for a great "2-day" emergency pack, and it doesn't look at all suspicious. Like the others have said, though, most people won't really notice or care about a 5.11.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I doubt most people will even know what 5:11 is. If anyone ask, just say it was a gift, and you're not sure what it means.
    I've been around firearms for 36 years. My question, upon seeing the "label" on your backpack would have been, what the heel is a 5.11.
    What is someone going to think who doesn't know squat about guns?

Your being paranoid.

But then again: Is it really paranoia if they REALLY are out to get you?

Trying to control crime with gun control laws is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

It's so common for people these days to be wearing clothing or insignia or objects of military or security or LEO origin as a fashion statement, that I expect the world at large would just lump you in with them.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

You may want to think about it from the perspective of where you are from. I live near Washington D.C., and you see hundreds of these backpacks on the Metro every single day. And while its probably because of the proximity to the Pentagon, and the high number of military and former military types working in and around the city, no one would ever assume that they were carrying a firearm just because of their backpack. But your location may vary.

Yup, you're being paranoid. The VAST majority of people don't CC, don't know that there are backpacks for CC, and wouldn't know such a backpack if they saw one. Electronic communities like this can make people seem WAY more aware of guns and gun paraphernalia than they actually are. Never tell, and the average person will never know, regardless of what backpack you use.

Distinguished Member
    Can I just add here, if you are a guy that is not used to carrying an "item" (like a purse for instance OR a backpack)....it is very VERY easy to get up and leave it somewhere. Or to set it down while you are looking at X in a store, etc etc. If you are seated at a cafe, always string it over your leg somehow.

I see a guy carrying one of these things as mostly just needing a man-purse of some type. Stuff. You could always go with a more studently look like a book bag, or a daytimer for a more businessy look.

Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I think you are WAAAY overthinking this....it's a bag....so what if it says 5.11 on it?
    The sheeple see very little outside of their visored little world.....you have nothing to really be concerned about by carrying a 5.11 or say a Maxpetdition bag.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links