The Civilian C2 Taser As A Viable Option For Those Unable To Carry A Firearm ? - Page 2

The Civilian C2 Taser As A Viable Option For Those Unable To Carry A Firearm ?

This is a discussion on The Civilian C2 Taser As A Viable Option For Those Unable To Carry A Firearm ? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My main issue with them is how to get the required training. Not seeing a whole mess of tazer courses out there, even when I've ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Civilian C2 Taser As A Viable Option For Those Unable To Carry A Firearm ?

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    My main issue with them is how to get the required training. Not seeing a whole mess of tazer courses out there, even when I've bothered to look. Most folks will be pretty much out of luck in this regard, especially what with the economy being what it is and cutting down on unnecessary travel . My secondary issue is how many will bother with this training anyway. Everybody knows that firearms can be very dangerous and look at how few people bother to train with their guns at home beyond the occasional trip out to the cuds to blat a few off at old beer cans. Now extend this feeling to a weapon that is harder to find training for, "doesn't really hurt anyone", and is somewhat hard to get reloads for. I think that they're a good way for a lot of overconfident soccer mom's to get themselves into a real bad spot.

Administrator
    Interesting and appreciated perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    My main issue with them is how to get the required training. Not seeing a whole mess of tazer courses out there, even when I've bothered to look. Most folks will be pretty much out of luck in this regard, especially what with the economy being what it is and cutting down on unnecessary travel . My secondary issue is how many will bother with this training anyway. Everybody knows that firearms can be very dangerous and look at how few people bother to train with their guns at home beyond the occasional trip out to the cuds to blat a few off at old beer cans. Now extend this feeling to a weapon that is harder to find training for, "doesn't really hurt anyone", and is somewhat hard to get reloads for. I think that they're a good way for a lot of overconfident soccer mom's to get themselves into a real bad spot.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I think that a Taser is great for those that can't or aren't willing to carry a gun. If you had both a pistol and a Taser against someone with a deadly weapon like a bat within 15 feet, why go to less-lethal force? If it was your only option, fine.
    Me using my taser would be based on what is going on at the time. I may give him a 30 sec ride or throw out lead. All depends on what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    My problem with it is this; If you are unwilling to use a firearm, chances are you will be unable to use a Taser should the time come. It gives a false sense of security for those who are mentally weak.
    And, the common misconception is that the Taser is some easy to use point and click type of device. It is not. It takes some skill (maybe even more than a firearm) to get two (Yes, I said two) solid hits in order for the device to work. You need to be fairly knowledgeable and able to make a quick decision and act on it in order for the device to be used as designed. It is far from fool proof. One needs to judge distance, clothing type, body type, angles and even weather conditions to be able to deploy a Taser with a high degree of success.

I think the C2 gives a dangerous sense of false security. It is not a device that one can pull out of the box and deploy with a great degree of success like Taser or those selling it claim it to be.
    Depending on the laws in your state, someone maybe able to carry a taser in places were they can not carry a gun (bars, churches, etc.)

Plus with any other SD equipment, you have to train, train, train. If you miss the BG with the dart(s), you have to train on taking out the 1st cartage and put in the 2nd one and if all else fails, stun em.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    It looks like the folks at taser have been listening to what people say in regards to their products. The 30 second thing is a good idea, as it can get you out of the danger zone. I also like the Taser will replace the unit if you have to use it for defense (I don't guess that zapping friends for youtube would count). It's still a single shot kind of thing, so multiple attackers would be an issue (yes it is also a stun gun, but contact distance with attackers is still an issue). But its better than nothing provided both probes contact the bg (another issue). But if I was trying to decide between mace or a taser, I'd take one of these over the spray, I've never really heard of anyone building up a tolerance to getting shocked by tasers, and I've seen Marines scream like girls during training when they get hit with them. Plus I really do like that 30 second feature.
    +2. I'd buy one in a heartbeat assuming I could not carry a firearm. Too good to pass up, I might even get one for the heck of it.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    The 30 second feature is pretty nice, but what happens when you can't get very far in thirty seconds? One very popular attack type for criminals is the single mother (at the scene, not the political cliche) with the kid(s) getting everything inside and ready to go. They freak out when the guy comes at them, they fumble for the tazer and manage to get it going, stare for at least second or two because it's just plain ol' going to draw their attention seeing someone screaming and doing the kickin' chicken in a parking lot, fumble with the car seat straps in a panic when it suddenly occurs to them that they need to get the kid(s) and do a runner, and they've probably lost right around 15 seconds of that charge (if not more). Now they're trying to run with a kid or two and probably not exactly going to make the grade for the US track team on this particular sprint. In fact, I'm willing to bet that a pretty common situation like this one is what brought the charge up to 30 seconds in the first place.

Now add what I said above. Most of these ladies won't have bothered with training. They haven't stress-tested their ability to rapidly get their kid(s) out of the car seats. The suspect might have half sprawled into the car and are in the way of the side door of the van. All sorts of random non-optimal stuff going on like purses and diaper bags getting hung up.

It seems like a decent tool for trained people, but I'm just not seeing it for the reality of most folks out there. The people who seriously train for SD and stress-testing their tools are pretty small minority of 1-2% of the population. What works great for the CCW soccer mom with a black belt and a whole boatload of kick butt attitude probably isn't going to work so hot for a scared out of her wits soccer mom who hasn't trained at all.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Whether it is the 5-second ride of the X26 I am issued, or this new new 30-second version, there MUST be a Plan B. It is all too easy for one dart to miss, and even two darts don't guarantee a stop. One or more darts/wires can break or come loose as the bad guy falls. And, as has already been said here, when the ride is over, it is over. Of course, the X26's trigger can be held for a longer ride, but you still have a tiger by the tail.

To be clear, I am not anti-Taser. It can be a very useful tool.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Read what I have written again. I didnt say that people who would not use a firearm are mentally weak. I said that a Taser delivers a false sense of security to those who are.
    You said: "If you are unwilling to use a firearm, chances are you will be unable to use a Taser should the time come. It gives a false sense of security for those who are mentally weak." One could get the impression from that that you believe that someone who is unwilling to use lethal force will not defend themselves when the time comes.

It could also be argued a gun gives a false sense of security for those who are mentally weak.

Back to the Taser itself, I think we can all agree it is not perfect, and neither are all of its potential users. It does, however represent a viable defensive option for those that cannot (or will not, for whatever reason) carry a lethal weapon. It only gives you 30 seconds, but that is 30 seconds more than you had before.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Whether it is the 5-second ride of the X26 I am issued, or this new new 30-second version, there MUST be a Plan B. It is all too easy for one dart to miss, and even two darts don't guarantee a stop. One or more darts/wires can break or come loose as the bad guy falls. And, as has already been said here, when the ride is over, it is over. Of course, the X26's trigger can be held for a longer ride, but you still have a tiger by the tail.

To be clear, I am not anti-Taser. It can be a very useful tool.
    I was told not to hold the trigger because it can damage the taser. I was just told to wait the 5 sec then pull it again if need be
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    You said: "If you are unwilling to use a firearm, chances are you will be unable to use a Taser should the time come. It gives a false sense of security for those who are mentally weak." One could get the impression from that that you believe that someone who is unwilling to use lethal force will not defend themselves when the time comes.

It could also be argued a gun gives a false sense of security for those who are mentally weak.

Back to the Taser itself, I think we can all agree it is not perfect, and neither are all of its potential users. It does, however represent a viable defensive option for those that cannot (or will not, for whatever reason) carry a lethal weapon. It only gives you 30 seconds, but that is 30 seconds more than you had before.
    Agreed, one could infer a lot of meaning out of content that is not there.

My only point is that a Taser actually takes more skill and training to use effectively with a high rate of success vs. a firearm. Many people believe that it is some point and click magical contraption; it is not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If electronic 'weapons' were lawful in MA, I'd order four of these right now today.

One to be hard stored in both cars, one stored as hidden at our kitchen (conjunction-point between front, side and rear doors) and a fourth stored as hidden in our bedroom.

As to not being able to grab your stuff/kids and flee inside of :30s, there are many people real world who would challenge that thought and have directly.
    This is how far one can get in just 30 seconds

Not to mention that if you have ever been or seen someone tased by normal LEO tasers which have just a :05s cycle time, per trigger pull....Then to imagine how majorly disoriented and overall TKOd a person might be after riding the rail for _half a minute_ at SIX times the normal time length might be is not difficult.

For example...
    'Warren Police Officer Tasers Handcuffed Woman Multiple Times'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMpEr-MOSyk

'Sex Predator Gets Tasered'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Qog10mZ5Q

'POLICE TASER A CRAZY GUY'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k4fgsuHopw

'Clip 00004 Big Guy Tasered 2 Angles'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7UEWCoX7v0

These are again law enforcement cases and they are as an industry standard set to five second max cycle rates, per trigger pull/depression.

With a THIRTY SECOND cycle rate that is more than enough time to remove ones self from immediate imminent danger/harm, even if they watched the person writhe in agony for a second or four. Not to mention that largely the majority of people tased, just for 5 seconds, walk away from it very much dased, confused and suffering from very real trauma be it from the initial impact of their unsupported fall to the ground never mind the pain of experiencing a full body charlie horse muscle cramp.

Thirty seconds is a loooonnnngg time to be hearing nothing but your own screams along with tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick....

- Janq

P.S. - Agreed with others regarding training.

Like anything and everything else defensive (firearms, sprays, batons, strikes & martial art usage, and even simply _running_) there is and should be a component of training and applied practice involved. That much should be a given and goes without saying.
    That being a matter of fact though does not at all invalidate the product or it's civilian use, same as it does not toward all manner of firearms, sprays, batons, strikes & martial art usage or simply practicing at when, where and how to run (flee).

Image source - http://www.diyselfdefense.com/taserc2

'Taser C2 Review'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MbIYWDWlQs

'Army ranger vs Taser C2' [Note all manner of safety violations here...Do not do this!]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnw16o32HVY
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links