States with lower capacity mag requirements

This is a discussion on States with lower capacity mag requirements within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I live in a burb outside of buffalo ny. NYS has a limit - 10 rounds / mag, no more. To top it off, ...

Thread: States with lower capacity mag requirements

So I live in a burb outside of buffalo ny. NYS has a limit - 10 rounds / mag, no more. To top it off, they have that whole assault weapon ban dealy. I was told that the way to go with my AR 15 is a preban 30 round mag. Bought one, debating another.

1) Anyone know the legality - can I have the 30 but only legally put 10 in it?
    2) Anyone from any other states have the same stupidity in their area?

The 30 I got is sitting bedside w/10 in it. Dunno if it's worth the trouble or not. O yea - almost forgot about the rule of supply and demand. The local gun shop is charging for 1 30 preban what brownelli's / magpul is charging for 5 new ones. ******** aint it?

I live in CA and we have a 10 rd. mag. maximum. As I understand it, it is not illegal to own, but it is VERY illegal to sale, buy, trade, import, etc... Since only LEO's can obtain high cap. mags, if you do get stopped with the mag then whoever gave it to you is in big doo-doo. Many mags also have serial numbers so it can be traced to which LEO purchased it. If you had the mag before the ban then you are oaky as I understandind the CA law.
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

...anyone else? bueller, bueller?

I live in Texas, so I don't have any restrictions now. If you've got pre-ban mags, you can load them fully. That's the whole point of pre-ban mags. You've just got to make sure that the mag was genuinely manufactured prior to the ban, and not one from a free state that was smuggled in and sold as pre-ban. I've still got pre-ban Beretta mags that have been modified to fit my XD-9 that I got during the federal ban.

I guess I should mention that I'm not a lawyer, and my advice is completely free, and worth what you paid for it.

You know, you could always move to a free state (like Texas!) and pick up 30 round PMags for $17!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    In Canada you are allowed 10 in pistols and 5 in centrefire rifles. The Garand is exempt. However if a pistol mag fits a centrefire rifle it can have 10rds, so the CX-4 Storm and the Lar-15 pistol mags are popular up here. Also if a .40cal pistol mag takes 12 rds of 9mm, it's still legal as it is designed only to take 10 of .40cal. Rimfire is exempt. The logic is stunning isn't it?

Here's why NYS "assault weapons ban" is stupid (aside from the obvious):

Other than PMAGS (obviously made "after the ban")...

How do you tell a pre-ban mag from a post-ban mag?...when the mags do not have serial numbers or manufacturing dates?? And can you "upgrade" your "pre-ban" mag with new springs and Magpul followers and still be in compliance??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Lead Moderator
    Maryland has a 20 round limit on mag for buy and sell in the State. You can buy larger capacity mags outside the state and bring them into the State for personal use. (And I do mean BRING them, not ship or mail!!)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Colin - you're right, that's the most retarded thing I've ever heard. What the hell does a 9mm cap have anything to do w/a .40? Amazing.

As for texas - while I do like the liberal gun control (or lack there of), too far south, too hot. Plus I have heard R. Lee Ermy's thoughts on texas ;-)

Keep the thoughts coming - anyone else from nys?

I'm not from NY, but I have friends behind the lines there and it's no big deal to ship them pre94 ban magazines. I do it all the time as I rotate through my stock of older magazines. The NY law seems kind of pointless that way. I'm sure in a matter of years all the pre ban mags will just make their way north and collect up there.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm not positive, but I thought the 10 rnd. limit was for handguns and long guns were exempt. As for pre ban magazines, how do you tell? I have bunches of mags and none have serial numbers, dates of manufacture or anything like that. The only mags I've seen with any clues are Glock hi caps that say " For LE, GOVT. USE ONLY".
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Here in California it is legal to own and use hi capacity magazines as long as you owned them pre 19…whatever the year. It is however illegal to buy transfer or (dig this) loan a hi capacity magazine or use one in a weapon that is defined as an “assault weapon”. Makes absolutely no sense to me but that’s the rule. There is no traceability on magazines so it up to the LEO to prove you did not own the magazine prior to any ban and the CA DOJ’s website even states that the use of hi capacity magazines is not regulated.

In my last post I said the CA DOJ's website did not regulate the use of hi capacity magazines. I was wrong. They do not regulate the possession of hi capacity magazines.

There are no "high capacity" magazines sold with firearms....there are "normal" capacity....and there are "retarded" capacity (in honor of the politicians who came up with the "retarded" rule). The gun was designed to carry 12+1, 15+1, 17+1......
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links