Hearing protection

Hearing protection

This is a discussion on Hearing protection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I've had a set of shooter's ear muffs for over 20 years. Does anyone know if the foam in the muffs lose its ...

Thread: Hearing protection

Hearing protection

Hello all,

I've had a set of shooter's ear muffs for over 20 years. Does anyone know if the foam in the muffs lose its buffering capacity after a certain amount of years? The last few range visits have been getting louder and louder.

Thanks,
    Dave
    HK P30 .40
    Glock 19
    Kel-Tec PF9

Yes, it can. The foam gets crusty from sweat, or the seals get less flexible and don't form around your ears and glasses as well.

Get some modern electronic ear muffs. Even the cheap ones (Harbor Freight) will open up a whole new world at the range. You can *hear* stuff and actually *talk* to people! Pro-Ears are my preference -- they provide more protection and the electronics sound and work much better.

VIP Member
    I have an old GSA set that I've used for years around the house and they are pretty much wasted. The foam is flaking and falling out, but for drill motors or other tools, they still work fine. As for the range I prefer something a tad more substantial. Warning: These are not kind to your wallet...

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X Ear Muff
    http://www.botachtactical.com/msasuproearm.html
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthMuffin View Post
    Yes, it can. The foam gets crusty from sweat, or the seals get less flexible and don't form around your ears and glasses as well.

Get some modern electronic ear muffs. Even the cheap ones (Harbor Freight) will open up a whole new world at the range. You can *hear* stuff and actually *talk* to people! Pro-Ears are my preference -- they provide more protection and the electronics sound and work much better.
    I have a set but I use it for hearing protection/hearing enhancement for home defense. Not only can it pick up footsteps/whispers next door, but it can also provide hearing protection from muzzle blast since it is more harsh indoors. Especially muzzle blasts from a 12-ga. shotgun and an AR-15 rifle, very deafening. That's why I started adding electronic earmuffs to my home defense gear after I bought those long guns.

my ear muffs came with the suggestion that they be replaced in 6 months as the padding would wear out. Read the fine print. You can use the foam ear inserts - the kind that you roll small and then slip into your external ear canals - with your existing ear muffs fi you need to. The important thing is to get something that will give you more than 30 db attenuation. 30 db corresponds to 1/1000 reduction. 33 db would be 1/2000 which means that you would get significant noise reduction. The electronic hearing protectors are actually a combination of muffs that decrease the sound and amplifiers that increase sounds that are in the range of normal human speech amplitudes. At noise levels over that, the amplifiers shut off almost instantaneously. When the loud sound is over, they turn back on. You may notice this on/off switching and some people find it objectionable or distracting. If that is not a problem for you, go with the electronic - you'll hear more and your speech will be better too.

Sponsored Links