Aimpoint CompM2, CompM3 or CompM4?

This is a discussion on Aimpoint CompM2, CompM3 or CompM4? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have decided on an Aimpoint for my AR15. Aimpoints rugged construction and decade long constant on battery life suits my HD needs the best. ...

View Poll Results: Which Aimpoint would you choose. Please explain why.

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • CompM2

0 0%
  • CompM3

2 25.00%
  • CompM4

6 75.00%

Thread: Aimpoint CompM2, CompM3 or CompM4?

I have decided on an Aimpoint for my AR15. Aimpoints rugged construction and decade long constant on battery life suits my HD needs the best. After some research I believe that GG&G combination sight, mount and rear iron site combo packages are about the best deal available. Now comes the rub

Aimpoint CompM2, GG&G Cantilever Aimpoint Ring and GG&G A2 Back Up Iron Sight (BUIS) $545.00

Aimpoint CompM3 GG&G Cantilever Aimpoint Ring and a GG&G A2 Back Up Iron Sight (BUIS) $590.00

Aimpoint CompM4 GG&G Accucam Quick Detach Mounting Base (no BUIS) $700.00.

There is only a slight difference in price between the CompM2 & CompM3. Is there any performance reliability difference? Does anyone know how well Aimpoint supports its older models?
    There is a big price jump to the CompM4. Is the performance reliability difference worth the extra investment for a civilian HD/SHTF weapon.

I am leaning towards the CompM3 but any input from experienced Aimpoint users owners would be appreciated.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member
    I purchased the CompM4s last December. My experience with it is only as range or backyard shooter.

I purchased it primarily for two reasons:
    1) It was the latest generation of Aimpoint in use by the military.
    2) It runs on AA batteries.

I only get to purchase expensive items once. I want something with support longevity and proven reliability. The AA battery is common everywhere. I have the lithium AA with spares, but a alkaline is easily found.

It works great for me. Target acquisition is quick and everyone that fires my rifle hits.

My $.02 worth.
    Last edited by PackerBackerToo; July 28th, 2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Add a comment on performance.

Personally, I'd go with the M3 v the M2....for $45 more, you get 5x the life....but realistically, you'd be hard pressed to run the sight for 500K hours. I have the M2....had the M2 on my rifles in Iraq and Afghanistan....never had a problem. Definitely go with the BUIS....because Mr Murphy shows up when you least expect it.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Lead Moderator
    I've got a M4S, along with the usual Aimpoint "likes", the use of an easy to get AA battery that could last for years (two for me so far) was a real plus!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

If you're going for less money check out the ML3. The M3 is night vision compatible, where as the ML3 is not. Do you have, or plan to use NV? If not, save a few bucks and go with the ML3. I'll personally be getting the M4s, mostly because of the AA battery issue.

Thanks for the input. Pretty much confirms my thoughts. Looking at the specs below, there is no major difference between the M3 & M4 except battery life. Both are available 2 MOA. The M3 is slightly longer but weighs slightly less. The M4 has a few more settings probably not a big issue for me. Five years battery life compared to nine years is significant but for the $200 price difference I can buy ALOT of batteries, so I don't see that as a major factor.

If some one has info about performance or reliability differences Or if I am missing something. I'd be really interested in hearing about that. As SIGguy229 said the M2 has served well in combat. I doubt the newer versions are any less reliable or durable. While I have no immediate plans for NV the few extra bucks I pay for that is not a big deal.

Still leaning toward the M3 just a few bucks more than the M2 way less than the M4 and as good as far as I can see at this juncture, except the battery life. Which as I said is not that big a deal, to me. Knowing me I'll probably change batteries every year anyway, just to be on the safe side regardless.

CompM2
    4 MOA
    One 3 Volt Lithium battery type 2L76 or DL1/3N
    Battery Life, typical: 1.000-10.000 hours average. 4 days to 1.1 years
    10 positions, Off and 9 daylight, of which 1 Extra Bright
    DIMENSIONS
    Length: 5.1"
    Width/height: 2.2" x 2.2 "
    Weight: 7.1 oz
    CompM3
    Reticle, size: 2 MOA or 4 MOA
    One 3 Volt Lithium battery type 2L76 or DL1/3N
    Battery Life, typical: 50,000 hours at setting 7 out of 10 (5 years constant on)
    10 settings - 4 NVD, 6 Daylight of which 1Extra Bright
    DIMENSIONS
    Length: 5.1"
    Width/height: 2.2" x 2.2 "
    Weight: 7.8 oz incl. lens covers.
    11403: CompM3, 4 MOA
    11408: CompM3, 2 MOA
    Comp M4
    Reticle, size: 2 MOA
    Battery Type: AA
    Battery Life, typical: 80 000 hours for good quality battery (9 years constant on)
    16 positions, 7 NVD, 9 daylight, of which 1 Extra Bright
    DIMENSIONS:
    Length: 4.7"
    Width/height: 2.1"x2.4"
    Weight, sight only: 9.3 oz
    Weight, with integrated mount: 11.8 oz
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Definitely go with the BUIS....because Mr Murphy shows up when you least expect it.
    Tenfour on that this is my first AR and have spent the better of a year shooting with just iron sights for that reason, will familiarize my self further with the BUIS before switching to the red dot.Practice, proficiency and skill over tech
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Comp m4

I have a nib compm4 that you can have for $590 shipped/insured. You can email me at jamaicanj@hotmail.com

you might also want to consider the aimpoint micro T-1, or H-1 if you dont want NV with a larue mount
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

If you don't need NV, here's a C3 with ADM cantilever mount for $490: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...&key=APC3AD68C

Sponsored Links