Is OC spray a weapon?

Is OC spray a weapon?

This is a discussion on Is OC spray a weapon? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure that the answer to my question may depend on state laws, but I would like to know your opinion. I am looking at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is OC spray a weapon?

Is OC spray a weapon?

I'm sure that the answer to my question may depend on state laws, but I would like to know your opinion. I am looking at this issue from the standpoint of an employee that reads his/her employee handbook which states that weapons are not allowed in the premises.

Do you think that the employee would be safe carrying OC spray without compromising his/her job? I personally would consider some knives and all firearms weapons, but I don't think that OC spray/Mace is.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I'm going to say "maybe/maybe not". At my wife's work,a hospital, staff is expected to come and go at all hours of the day and night. They have a strict no weapons policy. But just about every female and many males carry some form of pepper spray.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    As you sorta mentioned, it depends on the laws, work rules and local ordinances. Some say it’s a non-lethal weapon whereas others’ say it’s a non-lethal device. When I venture into weapon restricted areas, I carry my OC and I don’t worry about the hair-splitting.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I've had this talk with my partner before. I consider it more of a tool rather than a weapon, but I'm sure our employer would have a different opinion.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

The word weapon, really only applys to user intent of an object, or in this case, substance. So yes, if you carry it for defense against other people, it's a weapon. But then again so are your car keys that you put in your pocket every day, or t tightly rolled newspaper or magazine. If you wear a necktie or shoes with hard soles, or a hot cup of coffee, or have an ink pen, get the idea? But to answer your question, if you carried a key chain version, I doubt you will have any problems, but company policies usually are not written by warrior class people, and as such may have loopholes.

Ex Member
    In SOME locations, YES. In Europe it is considered a DEADLY WEAPON. A few years ago a F1 driver got busted ( France?) and was facing hard time. Don't remember the outcome.

Management decides if it is a weapon in regard to an employee carrying it.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Management decides if it is a weapon in regard to an employee carrying it.
    I agree but at the same time if you had martial arts training then you and your whole body could be a weapon...so....with that being said, you yourself wouldn't be allowed to work at said location per you being a weapon and NOT allowed on the premises. Do you see how absurd/ridiculous it all gets??

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The word weapon, really only applys to user intent of an object, or in this case, substance. So yes, if you carry it for defense against other people, it's a weapon. But then again so are your car keys that you put in your pocket every day, or t tightly rolled newspaper or magazine. If you wear a necktie or shoes with hard soles, or a hot cup of coffee, or have an ink pen, get the idea? But to answer your question, if you carried a key chain version, I doubt you will have any problems, but company policies usually are not written by warrior class people, and as such may have loopholes.
    +1

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I agree but at the same time if you had martial arts training then you and your whole body could be a weapon...so....with that being said, you yourself wouldn't be allowed to work at said location per you being a weapon and NOT allowed on the premises. Do you see how absurd/ridiculous it all gets??
    True, but your body has other functions, the oc does not.

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I'm sure that the answer to my question may depend on state laws, but I would like to know your opinion. I am looking at this issue from the standpoint of an employee that reads his/her employee handbook which states that weapons are not allowed in the premises.

Do you think that the employee would be safe carrying OC spray without compromising his/her job? I personally would consider some knives and all firearms weapons, but I don't think that OC spray/Mace is.
    Technically speaking, OC spray should be carried for defensive purposes only,therefore it should not be considered a weapon. In the hands of a criminal however, it could be used as a weapon. Lots of differences in technicalities and legalities. Where things come together on the terms and definitions of a "weapon" pretty much rely solely on the person's intent whom carries the device and the laws regarding such activities in your area. OC spray doesn't seem to fit the criteria of being a weapon at all, but realize that it is illegal to carry or employ in some places. Weapons in general are considered to be lethal instruments. OC spray could be lethal if used on persons with certain respiratory problems or diseases. Then there are the rules and regulations involved as to where you are at the time. Every person in this world has the unmistakable right to self defense, and should be able to defend themselves at any time. There are those however that would place your life and your ability to defend yourself from attack at the bottom of the list after all of their corporate or legislative trivialities. Stick close to your principles, and weigh each situation according to risk involved. It should never come to risking your job in order to be ready to save your life. But sometimes it's the twisted way of the world to be dominated by others in our thoughts and everyday lives that causes us to focus less on what's most important sometimes. Living until we die of natural causes. The answer to your question is within you and nobody else has the answer. I'd never suggest bending any rules, or making a conscious decision to circumvent the law and do what you please.......but rely on your own foundation of what you know to be truth and right and wrong. Stay alive.

Is OC spray a weapon?
    It's a tool, which a person can use either defensively or offensively. Much like a butter knife, a firearm, a baseball bat, a screwdriver, a rock, a lamp, or one's own hand/foot/knee/elbow. IMO, it's only the fearful states that delude themselves with feel-good legislation demonizing sprays that end up brainwashing its people that such a tool IS a weapon. It's just a tool. But it is the criminal nature of acts that make it a given tool an offensive weapon. My $0.02.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

While many thing may be "tools", once deployed in defense or attack, they by definition become a weapon.
    To my knowledge, oc has no other recognized use but defense or attack.

Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary
    weap'on
    3. any means of attack or defense

Senior Moderator
    I know that using spray in a situation that is unwarranted will see charges of "aggravated assault" brought against whoever uses it illegally, which usually implies that a weapon of some sort was used.

If I take a plastic cup and jam the rim of it into your face and knock your teeth out in a fight, it becomes a weapon.

If I take a broom and pop knots all over your head with it the broom becomes a weapon.

Of course neither one is a weapon. When it is used as a weapon, it becomes a weapon but almost anything can be used as a weapon. A pillow can be used as a weapon if you try to smother someone with it.

What exactly is a weapon? Whatever the Judge in your area thinks it is.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

In your situation...
    Having and using OC spray in a parking lot to defend yourself? I'd probably take my chances on that being fair game.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links