Good quality yet not too expensive vehicle lockbox?

This is a discussion on Good quality yet not too expensive vehicle lockbox? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this post, but it seemed to be the closest match. I'm looking for opinions & ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good quality yet not too expensive vehicle lockbox?

Question Good quality yet not too expensive vehicle lockbox?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this post, but it seemed to be the closest match.

I'm looking for opinions & experiences on what is a good pistol lockbox for my car. Naturally, I'd like a quality item, but need to balance that against cost as I'm on a budget.

I have a smaller car so under-seat space is at a premium. But, that location is most desirable to me as it means I don't need to get out of my car to place my gun in a lockbox in the hatch area of my car.

This also reduces the risk of someone seeing this, possibly making my car & gun targets for a theft.

TIA
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

2. Remove Ads

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/37...table%2BSafes/

That's what I got for my G19, it works great for me and a good size to tuck under a seat!

Magills.com the perfect in car gun safe

http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

I picked up a couple of car gun safes from here. Working out fine for my Glock 17 or Glock 19
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

I have this: http://www.ariesautomotive.com/security%2Bbox.html It works quite nicely bolted to the passenger floorboard of my Jeep. It's the perfect size for my M&P .40c, a spare mag and a few small tools. The frame mounts to whatever flat surface you like, either vertically or on the broad side. A quarter turn of the key releases the box from the frame and another quarter turn opens the box. The heads of the bolts are on the inside, so even if someone tried to spin them out from the outside there's not enough clearance with the box mounted in the frame. I feel pretty secure leaving items in it even with my soft top.

I've had someone get into my Jeep once (thankfully they were nice and just unzipped a window instead of cutting it) and they took a few items of not much value. The lockbox was undisturbed. I feel like it's sturdy enough that someone would have to winch it out if they really wanted it.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Samwolf View Post
    http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

I picked up a couple of car gun safes from here. Working out fine for my Glock 17 or Glock 19
    I have one of the "combo" versions of this safe from Center-of-Mass for my Stoeger 9mm and it works quite well. The quality isn't absolutely superb, but it definitely does what is legally required of us CC'rs (at least in TX). Doesn't break the bank either.
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

Tia,

You can also try this as an alternative to the above. I believe it's going to be a little less money. It comes with a mounting plate so you can mount this in your car. It has an electronic push button lock and a key backup in case the batteries die. The mounting plate makes it easy for you to remove it from your car if you ever need to bring it inside. Good luck!
    - The GunSafeGuru. Visit my Blog at GunSafesBlogger.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/37...table%2BSafes/

That's what I got for my G19, it works great for me and a good size to tuck under a seat!

Magills.com the perfect in car gun safe
    I have two -- one bolted to the top of the hump between the bucket seats of the PU and the other on the cable in my wife's car.

However, a word of warning.

Check the screw that holds the latch hook at the bottom of the lock cylinder from time to time. Had one come loose and I could turn the key all I wanted and the box would not open. It was a bear to open.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Go to a LEO supply store and get a pair of handcuffs. One goes to the seat post and the other goes through my trigger guard. If they can get it free they deserve the weapon. Works for me, and has been for years. But buy quality cuffs.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Go to a LEO supply store and get a pair of handcuffs. One goes to the seat post and the other goes through my trigger guard. If they can get it free they deserve the weapon. Works for me, and has been for years. But buy quality cuffs.
    My only gripe with that advice is that your weapon is more visible and that the majority of handcuffs sold in the USA use the same key. It's also a pretty easy lock to pick except when your hands are behind your back. JMHO, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by dogzilla View Post
    My only gripe with that advice is that your weapon is more visible and that the majority of handcuffs sold in the USA use the same key. It's also a pretty easy lock to pick except when your hands are behind your back. JMHO, YMMV.
    The weapon is totally invisible, even with the door open it cannot be seen. You think a dude breaking into cars is going to have a handcuff key, let alone take the time to try and unlock the thing? If this happens you better go buy a lottery ticket right away. The lockboxes are usually secured to the car with a metal cable. I think it would be more likely that a crook will have a pair of wire cutters with him, long before he would have a cuff key. I seldom leave a firearm in my truck, but when I do I know it is secure and I don't worry about it in the slightest. YMMV
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I used a gun cable lock for a long time, through the gun frame and to the seat sub-frame under the seat. We all probably already have several, and if not you can usually get them free from the police department. It will prevent a smach-and-grab. Not too many of those folks carrying around long bolt cutters. A bicycle combo lock would also do the same thing and might be more secure. For a revolver, you can also use a standard pad lock through the frame top with cylinder opened and lock it to the seat frame. Easy to do in a truck since they sit high. Might be harder under a car seat. That's where a longer bicycle lock might come in handy.

I since bought a small safe at Harbor Freight for $19 and mounted it under my truck rear seat out of sight. It's too large for under a car seat though.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I've got a Center of Mass safe. It does it's job. I only use it when I absolutely have to go somewhere that I can't carry.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Tuffy Security might have something that will work for you. Check their web site.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by TXcougar8000 View Post
    I have one of the "combo" versions of this safe from Center-of-Mass for my Stoeger 9mm and it works quite well. The quality isn't absolutely superb, but it definitely does what is legally required of us CC'rs (at least in TX). Doesn't break the bank either.
    If it is hidden under the seat and secured by either it being bolted down or the cable, a quick smash and grab would not spend time going after it IMO. I don't plan on leaving my handgun in the car overnight so for the hour or two I am out of it I feel comfortable with this product. If they steal your car you are screwed regardless of what car safe you have.
    Mitch Rapp is my hero (reference to the Vince Flynn novels)

RIP Vince! Going to miss your novels! :(

I've had a Center of Mass safe in my car for about a year. I use it occasionally, like at the post office. Works great, hides easily. It's a pretty small investment for piece of mind! I highly recommend it.
    Question Everything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links