nice cheap edc light FOUND!

This is a discussion on nice cheap edc light FOUND! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Love and carry this light daily....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: nice cheap edc light FOUND!

Love and carry this light daily.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    That looks nice! I might look into that for my wife to carry and see how it compares to my current EDC.... I can say for lights on a budget, to stay away from the Gerber Tactical. I bought one for about $30 to give it a shot at LGS, firguring Gerber is a good brand, and it was terrible. I had forgotten all about it, but recently came across it while cleaning some stuff around the house,.....My EDC is a Streamlite Stylus Pro, it was right at $25 from a Snap-on tool dealer, and its been great. Lifetime warrenty. Bright. Couldn't be happier with it...

Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    Details, we need details please.
    Ask and you shall receive. I filmed a couple quick vids with my first gen iPhone (disclaimer since the quality is crap). I think you guys get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpSDLQwfmPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxrm6Zm1hTI

Faced with spending ~ $10 for two new CR2 batteries for my Coleman Maxx light, I instead spent ~ $16 on this light at Target.

I flipped the clip around and mounted it on the tail cap - which resulted in a few cosmetic scratches (oh well!). I really like that this light has a clip - I kept the Coleman in my briefcase because it lacked a clip. I'll withhold my opinion until I've used this light for a few weeks, but so far so good!

Thanks for the thread!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I have a 4Sevens Preon 1 and it's my favorite EDC flashlight. It's the same thickness as a Bic pen and less than half the length.
    Am I missing something? This light does not seem to have a tail cap switch? You need to rotate the light bezel to turn it on?
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Stopped by Target last night. For $16 you can't go wrong with this light! Think I'll drop by during the weekend and pick up a couple more.

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    i just pulled it off with the included cord, then pushed it straight against the side of the tail cap. I also used my leatherman to pull it out a bit so it could go on tight.

I'll see if I can post a pic maybe tomorrow
    If you could post a pic that'd be great.
    Untill I see what you did I think I'm going to just dremel the clip down to size to where it will fit on the smooth part of the tailcap.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Am I missing something? This light does not seem to have a tail cap switch? You need to rotate the light bezel to turn it on?
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. The standard Preon uses a twisty interface. However, the great thing about the 4Sevens lights are that they are lego type lights. You can simply buy a clicky tailcap if you want that type of interface. Then you simply can screw on the one that you want to use.

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_332_337

Quote Originally Posted by e4dan View Post
    I had it's 2AA big brother, 3W @72 lumens. I think the 1W light is 27 lumens. Nice beam & color, easy to hold. Unregulated, but OK run time. BTW, they work great with NiMH rechargable batteries. Very servicable light you've got. Enjoy!
    WATTS and LUMENS are two different things: I found this from a guy named Chris Ward

Lumens and Watts are just photometric and radiometric terms for the same thing: optical power or flux. The only difference is that photometry (luminous power) takes into account human perception and accounts for the sensitivity of the eye to different colors. This can make it difficult to convert between the two unless you know the spectra of the bulb.

By definition, at the peak sensitivity of the eye (green 555nm) 1 Watt equals 680 lumens.

It would make the most sense to talk about lumens with a flashligh, because what you really care about is the perceived "brightness", not the true optical power.

Chris

This information can be referenced on pg. 27 of "Optoelectronics", Prentice Hall 1983
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Looks handy. I bought a 2 pack of 150 lumen LED lights at Sam's made by Element for $35 a while back. Worked good for a while, but now it momentarily cuts off and back on. I need something else. Might give this a look.
    GOt the same thing....though mine are still kickin. Use'em nightly when letting the dogs out...I have to watch for foxes or a Bobcat that might be lurking about. Great flashlight for the price.

I keep one on me car.

I compared the Energizer to my Surefire G2 (which has a 120 lumen incandescent bulb) outside at night. The Surefire is definitely the better light - brighter, and more even light...which means less need to "scan" the beam around to see.

Same story inside - the G2 is better able to light up a room.

I also found that the Energizer's metal clip irritated my side. Now that I finally got my second LCP, I no longer feel a need to carry spare mag(s)...which frees room on my belt for the larger G2 - which I carry in a horizontal kydex holster made by JS Holsters.

The Energizer is a good small utility light, and probably runs longer and uses cheaper batteries. But, for tactical use, it is inferior to the Surefire...which isn't a surprise, given the price difference.

One other thing - the Energizer has a "clicky" tail switch, which means that under stress you could accidentally click it to "on" when you only wanted "momentary on." Just something to consider, as the only way to turn a Surefire to full "on" is to rotate the tailcap - not something you will do by accident.
    CT Lasers

Booyah - Thanks for the tip on the AA flashlight. Picked one up this am since I've been lacking an edc light. Flipped the clip so the lens is safely in my pocket.

Inside the tailap I don't see any allen crews to backout to lessen the sensitivity of the switch. Did you need to pull the button cover off?

Quote Originally Posted by jcr2689 View Post
    I have a four sevens preon 2. Multi mode and has about 150 OTF. Very stream line. Carry it everyday. Got it for about 40 bucks
    +1...I Love mine!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by sinzitu View Post
    Booyah - Thanks for the tip on the AA flashlight. Picked one up this am since I've been lacking an edc light. Flipped the clip so the lens is safely in my pocket.

Inside the tailap I don't see any allen crews to backout to lessen the sensitivity of the switch. Did you need to pull the button cover off?
    so if you unscrew the tail cap, look closely at it to either side of the spring you will see some small cut outs. Stick an allen in each one and hold them both, then turn them together. It will unscrew the switch from the threads holding it in. If you look closely at it I'm sure you'll make sense of it.

That said, I put mine back in with the switch up I have no issue with it turning on that I care about.

I've got a Fenix P1D, Surefire E1e,6P,maglight and probably a few others. I've broken almost every flashlight I owned.

I ordered one of these cheap Chinese knockoffs.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13096

If I break it who cares. I have another one to replace it. Takes one CR123A battery so it's small and bright.
    Just ordered a few more to give as gifts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links