Homemade Portable Target Stand

This is a discussion on Homemade Portable Target Stand within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a member of a local "Plinking Pit" club, that has land with berms to accomodate member shooting, but members bring their own target ...

Thread: Homemade Portable Target Stand

Homemade Portable Target Stand

I am a member of a local "Plinking Pit" club, that has land with berms to accomodate member shooting, but members bring their own target equipment, etc. The owner of the land tried putting up wooden target stands, and they were soon destroyed, never to be replaced by the individuals that destroyed them. Soooooo, I stopped by Lowes tonight and purchased five 5 foot lengths of 1 1/4 inche PVC, four T-joints, and two elbow joints. Built myself a "portable" target stand that will break into two pieces, enabling me to throw it into the back of my truck or even into the wife's SUV. I am anxious to see how it works out, especially if/when a stray round hits the PVC. We shall see what we shall see! I have all ideas I may have to refine it and get aluminum pipe for the upright legs, but, will just have to see how things work out.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

What works good is using the PVC for the stand,and inserting wood 2x2's for the uprights,wood will hold up to a few strikes and is cheap and easy to replace,PVC will probably shatter when struck by a bullet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

AzB
    I made my lower stand out of pvc, and the upper part is just vertical 2x2 strips. The pvc will shatter if you hit it, but you just get neat holes in the wood pieces from strays.

I generally carry a couple extra pieces of pvc and some duct tape along, just in case.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

We use left over political campaign signs (after the elections, we go around in trucks and gather up as many as we can find). We've also used some old realestate signs too from companies that have gone out of business. These both work great and there seems to be an endless supply. Light, small, we just stack a bunch of them up at our shooting spot under a tree and use them as we need them and toss them when they get too far gone.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

AzB
    Yep, one of the guys that lost here locally decided not to clean up his signs. They're in my trunk now. :)

BTW, I think it's illegal to remove them before the election. Don't do that. Wait until after, there'll be plenty of them.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I use IDPA cardboard targets and hang them on my PVC target stands. Mine sound like the ones mentioned above. Using wood for the uprights works good, if they get hit they are easily replaced and keep on rocking.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Years ago I built one out of 2x4's and plywood, I'm still using it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Here's mine. Its built to the size target frames that my local range uses, that are provided by the range. I also have some of my own frames for use off range. One advantage of this type is that you can mount two targets about two feet apart. Just put one leg of each target in the stand.
    Attached Images

I made two of these last week, and will probably make another one or two this week.

I've used them twice, and they seem to work just fine.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu24.htm

Biker

Mine are 2x4's each one cost about $2. They are made from 4 24" pieces in the form of an H. The center bar has 2 boards .75" apart to slide a 1x2 into. This allow me to use different with targets up to 23".

The advantage of wood is that a bullet will punch through rather than shattering the pipe.

The added weight also helps in a breeze. You can "improve" your design by drilling holes into the legs and pushing tent stakes into the ground to effectively add weight.

Your not supposed to shoot the stand. JK

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Your not supposed to shoot the stand. JK
    I take a lot of new shooters to the range.

I like to weld, so I made some hanging steel targets. Mostly out of scrap and some 6" & 12" plates. They never wear out and "ding" when hit them.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Links