Help me sight in my red dot scope.

This is a discussion on Help me sight in my red dot scope. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Vortex Strikefire red dot scope that I am mounting to a Rock River Arms rifle with a 16" barrel. What is the ...

Thread: Help me sight in my red dot scope.

I have a Vortex Strikefire red dot scope that I am mounting to a Rock River Arms rifle with a 16" barrel. What is the best distance to sight the scope in at?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Start at 25 yards til you hit near the center and go from there. 25, 100, and finishing at 200, would be my ideal goal if everything goes well.

I would fool around with the eye relief and make sure I am happy with it before I spent my time and ammo doing a really careful zero.

The AR iron sighting system and 5.56 ammo is designed to hit the point of aim at 25 meters and 200 meters. from 0-25 it will shoot an inch or two low, 25-100 it will be an inch or two high, and 200+ it will be low. No adjustments are necessary to hit targets in the 0-250 meter range. If you are shooting 250+ you can adjust the rear iron sight up to compensate for the bullet drop. Read through a manual and you will see the basics.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Thank you for the help, I don't even know if I could see the target at 100 yards with just the iron sight
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

VIP Member
    Get it on paper at 25yds, then zero it at 50yds. A typical 55gr FMJ round at 3240fps with a 50yd zero will be 2.81" high at 160yds, then cross zero again at 265yds.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

if you go here You can find a 200 yard at 50 yard target. Good luck.
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

An AR15 can be roughly boresighted at 25 yards by opening the rifle and removing the BCG (Bolt Carrier Group)then using sandbags or a rest steady the upper receiver,then look thru the barrel and align center of opening on point on target,then adjust the red dot to where it hits at the point you see when you look down the rifle bore,then reassemble the rifle and shoot a few groups to fine tune it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Seems to be some variation in opinions about zero and crossover ranges. Do a web search for "Improved Battlesight Zero" by Lt. Col. Chuck Santose. It's copyrighted material, but by this site's ROE I'll post a brief excerpt:

1. Current Army/Marine Corps battlesight zero and it's procedures are well described in TM9-1005-319-10, the M16/M4 operator's manual. A recent copy of this manual is available for download at the Manual Depot. Procedures in the manual will not be repeated here.
    2. The current 300 meter battlesight zero is a function of the sights on the rifle and I personally find it shoots too high for the vast majority of combat targets, including the Army's qualification ranges. The procedure listed here takes better advantage of the flat trajectory of these rifles as well as the use of civilian ranges, which are seldom surveyed in meters.
    3. When zeroed at 200 meters, a distance twice that of normal combat engagements, these rifles have a very flat trajectory that is less then 2" from line of sight at all intermediate distances; a distance that's smaller than the normal dispersion of arsenal or factory loaded ammunition. This tiny trajectory arc allows very precise shooting out to 250 meters where the bullet is only 2" below line of sight.
    4. A 200 meter zero has the happy coincidence of an initial trajectory cross-over at 50 yards, a distance available on almost all civilian ranges including many indoor ranges. This makes it easy to achieve a 200 meter battlesight zero without recourse to surveying your own range. If 200 meters is available you can fine-tune the zero at the real distance. And should when you get the chance.

FWIW, Pat Rogers and Jeff Gonzales employ a 50-yard zero for their "carbine operator" courses. You could do worse than to follow that guidance.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Easy way.
    Clamp gun if you can, shoot target. Align red dot on bullet hole.

Sponsored Links