Magnification adjustable red dot sight?

This is a discussion on Magnification adjustable red dot sight? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone make a rot dot sight that is able to be adjusted like a normal rifle scope, meaning like a 3-9x but 1-4X for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone make a rot dot sight that is able to be adjusted like a normal rifle scope, meaning like a 3-9x but 1-4X for close up and extended battle. I see many people with Eotech sights with a separate magnifier mounted behind it, is that the only way to get a red dot that is 1x to say 3-7x? I see scopes that are 2x, or 4x only, someone has to come up with a different way......
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Not that I know of. I think your best bet will probably be to use a red dot sight and then mount a magnifier on a "flip to the side" mount. Magnifiers generally come in x2,x3,x4, and x5. You can only have one mounted at a time but if you went with something like a x4 it would give you a good range of engagement. 0-200m you could use the open red dot and then flip down the magnifier for anything outside of 200.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

JD
    Administrator
    There's a couple 1-4 options.

Millet DMS
    Trijcon Accupoint 1-4 and 1.5-4 (Chevron or Dot w/ Crosshair, I like the chevron)
    Meopta K-Dot
    Leupold Mark 4-CQ/T
    Burris XTR 1-4

I currently have the Millet DMS, but haven't really put it through it's paces yet. The reticle isn't too crowded like the Burris XTR and isn't too pricey. In the 1-4 red dot world the S&B Short Dot is the reigning king.

$2700!?!?!?!?!
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

VIP Member
    You also have the Elcan which is really pricey. I have the Burris XTR on my 556 and have the Leupold CQ/T on my 522. Both are exceptional sights.

Sig 556 with XTR

Sig 522 with Leupold
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

That millett intrigues me. The rest cost more then my rifle lol.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The Millet is a great scope. I've got one on my RRA flat top AR.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    JD, are any of those holographic sights, or are they just dots projected/illuminated inside a regular scope?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    JD, are any of those holographic sights, or are they just dots projected/illuminated inside a regular scope?
    I'm pretty sure they are non-holographic.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'm pretty sure they are non-holographic.
    That's what I figured.

Mind you, I am not an optics expert, but what I was getting out was the OP's observation about separate magnifiers. My take would be two things; first, with an unmagnified EOtech, you can easily shoot with both eyes open and full peripheral vision, which is harder to do in a scope/tube layout. The second is that a true holosight lets you see the point-of-aim regardless of how you look through the glass. A multi-lens scoped tube will introduce parallax issues that will require you to look straight through the tube to get an accurate POA.

Therefore, the non-magnified, open glass, holographic type set will be better for combat shooting out to 100 yards or so than a dedicated tube, in my opinion. If you need to shoot farther than that, flip down a magnifier.

All that said, that Millett may have a place on my new M&P 15-22...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    That's what I figured.

Mind you, I am not an optics expert, but what I was getting out was the OP's observation about separate magnifiers. My take would be two things; first, with an unmagnified EOtech, you can easily shoot with both eyes open and full peripheral vision, which is harder to do in a scope/tube layout. The second is that a true holosight lets you see the point-of-aim regardless of how you look through the glass. A multi-lens scoped tube will introduce parallax issues that will require you to look straight through the tube to get an accurate POA.

Therefore, the non-magnified, open glass, holographic type set will be better for combat shooting out to 100 yards or so than a dedicated tube, in my opinion. If you need to shoot farther than that, flip down a magnifier.

All that said, that Millett may have a place on my new M&P 15-22...
    That may be for you, but for those of us that are cross dominant it's a little different, I can't get proper sight picture with both eyes open with an optic shooting right handed so I have to close an eye any way. I figure if I'm going to have to do that I might as well have the magnification easily available. I also don't like having a bunch of crap hanging off my rifle, not to mention the cost of an optic, a magnifier, and two mounts gets' up there. I'd rather just have one optic and one mount. That being said, I have not tried an EoTech and have been wanting to get my hands on one to see how it works for cross dominant shooters. I know that Aimpoints don't do squat for me. I may return my Trijicon Reflex and get an XPS...

I can certainly see the cross-dominant problem. If you get a chance to test-drive an EOtech, I'd be curious to hear how it works for you. I have a buddy who is as near to dual-dominant as can be; in fact, the way he describes it, if he tries to shoot both eyes open and using his right eye, then his left eye will try to take over, and if he tries to shoot both eyes open using the left eye, his right eye tries to take over. He put a couple EOtechs on his rifles and absolutely loves them.

As for me, I wouldn't put a tube on something primarily meant to be shot inside 100 yds, and I wouldn't put an EOtech on something meant to be shot primarily over 100 yds. What I mostly use my rifle for right now is 3-gun, which means a lot of fast shots inside 100 yds (usually inside 50 yds), and occasional shots out to 200 (or even 300) yds. For that application, I think the EOtech plus magnifier is as good as it gets for me. I have a flat-top with a full-length rail, so I don't have extra mounts to worry about, either. Both optics just grab onto the rail as is.

What I would like to see is a variable magnifier. It would be pretty cool to have a holosight with a 1 MOA dot and a variable magnifier of about 4--10x in front of it...

Flip-up Magnifiers

I've seen many people who use a magnifier on a flip-up mount behind a red dot sight, and I'm considering doing this mysel. I already have a Vortex Strike Fire sight but would like a little more versatility as far as longer range applications. However, it seems to me like it would be more precise if mounted in front of the sight, as this would magnify the target image without magnifying the reticle. The only thing I'd be worried about is the magnifier changing the point of aim/zeroing on the sight when it's flipped up. Just lookin for some opinions or experience with this idea and what actually happens. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ocadmirer View Post
    $2700!?!?!?!?!
    You sound like my wife
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    EOTech is the only true holographic weapon sight.

That & the Bushnell Holoscope which was made by EOTech.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links