What company, manufacturer, etc. makes the best drop-in parts for a 1911?

This is a discussion on What company, manufacturer, etc. makes the best drop-in parts for a 1911? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everyone in Defensive Carry Land, I was wondering which manufacturer makes the best and already fitted parts for a 1911. In other words, what ...

Thread: What company, manufacturer, etc. makes the best drop-in parts for a 1911?

Hello Everyone in Defensive Carry Land, I was wondering which manufacturer makes the best and already fitted parts for a 1911. In other words, what manufacturer makes parts that one can just drop in to a 1911 with either minimal (by that I mean, tiny bit...not much) fitting or no fitting at all. I recently bought some Ed Brown parts and was surprised to find out the parts are bigger and require quite a bit of fitting to install to my 1911. I do not have any pro carry, or ultra carry model 1911s. I only buy full size government military spec 1911s. I have a RIA & a Springer...both military spec. I have a colt on the way as well. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

No such thing as "drop in" parts for 1911's....every mfg. seems to use different spec's when building their pistols and aftermarket parts suppliers have their own spec's so it's really a crap shoot. Quality parts can be had from EGW, Wilson, C&S, Ed Brown and many others but a part that MAY just drop into one pistol may need a lot of fitting to install in another pistol.......just the way it is these days in the world of 1911's.
    Jim

Administrator
    Depends on which parts. An Ed Brown "Drop In" barrel almost always requires the barrel hood to be fit to the slide.
    An Ed Brown slide stop usually always just drops right in as do the Brown mag releases.

A Brown beavertail is not a drop in and it usually requires a tiny bit more hand fitting even AFTER you use the jig & you need to contour the frame tail.

If you have any Brown parts that you don't want to try hand fitting then list them for sale in Members Buy, Sell, Trade for a decent price and somebody will buy them as long as you didn't goof them up.

Nothing is really a true "drop in"

I'm afraid I agree with everyone else here. No such thing as a true "drop in" part. The good ones (ie Ed Brown) are oversized to allow you to fit it to your weapon for a nice, functional, smooth and tight fit. You can always take more off, but you cant put it back on, so oversize is a good thing. Loose parts in a 1911 are very seldom a good thing. If you don't want to mess with it, or don't trust yourself to do it, then I'd suggest you find a reputable gunsmith and have him do whatever modifications you're thinking about.
    Good luck!
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Taking my gun and parts would be great if my gunsmith werent to unwilling to do the work. He says he has a lot of work and often times takes a VERY VERY VERY long time to give your merchandise back. I dont know of any other gunsmith in my area. I am thinking of maybe taking up some gunsmithing classes to do this sort of stuff myself. Dont know of anybody dependable and with a short turn around rate here in the Valley.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

Here is a place to start for a good smith ;)

http://www.louderthanwords.us/

Administrator
    Brownell's has an excellent on line free video on fitting a 1911 thumb safety.

Also...pay a visit to the Blind Hogg.
    CLICK HERE~~~> http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmithing.html
    Some good parts fitting "step by step" instructions with PICS are on his site.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyrh9 View Post
    Taking my gun and parts would be great if my gunsmith werent to unwilling to do the work. He says he has a lot of work and often times takes a VERY VERY VERY long time to give your merchandise back. I dont know of any other gunsmith in my area. I am thinking of maybe taking up some gunsmithing classes to do this sort of stuff myself. Dont know of anybody dependable and with a short turn around rate here in the Valley.
    That's exactly what I did, as the nearest 'smith is over 20 miles away. Something that really helped me were the videos put out by Wilson Combat showing in detail how 1911 parts are fitted. I can do just about anything with a 1911 and I learned 90% from Wilson's tapes.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    That's exactly what I did, as the nearest 'smith is over 20 miles away. Something that really helped me were the videos put out by Wilson Combat showing in detail how 1911 parts are fitted. I can do just about anything with a 1911 and I learned 90% from Wilson's tapes.
    Where can I get these videos? I went to the wilson combat website and i cant find them. Please let me know.
    -joey rh

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyrh9 View Post
    Where can I get these videos? I went to the wilson combat website and i cant find them. Please let me know.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0..._Combat_Videos
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Found it thanks. If these videos helped you then they will help me as well. Thanks for the information, it is greatly appreciated.
    -joey rh

Sponsored Links