Gun Safe

Gun Safe

This is a discussion on Gun Safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys, First of all, I hope I am posting this in the correct section So I am going to be purchasing a new firearm ...

Thread: Gun Safe

Gun Safe

Hey Guys,

First of all, I hope I am posting this in the correct section

So I am going to be purchasing a new firearm soon. Right now I have a safe that can hold only one handgun. So basically I am in the market for a new gun safe to hold my new one as well.

What do you guys recommend? Thanks for your help.

Price range/budget?? How portable do you want it to be? Do you plan on getting rifles or shotguns?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I'd say if you got children, you can never go wrong with a Gunvault safe in which you got both security and accessability using easy to feel combination keys (if you practice though).

So.....do you see your firearms collection growing in the future? Long guns perhaps? Look into the Wal Mart Sentry safes. Good safe for the price IMO. Versatile and long guns, handguns. Dial combo or electric, less than $400. Other than that, check EBay frequently for low priced manufacturer or distributor close-outs delivered to the curb. Get more than you need now, and you won't need more for a while. You didn't state what kind of "firearm" you'll be looking into. Diversify now! Best of luck.

Before the safe salesmen take over, let me say you will never regret buying a gun safe.
    Decide what you need then buy one twice as big. I'm not kidding.
    I started off looking for a $750 safe and bought a $1800 safe and it was the best thing I could have done.
    If nothing else, the peace of mind is worth the price. If you want to save, look at used safes, many folks move and don't want to move a big safe so they sell. I found a used safe but it sold while I was thinking. Also save money by getting lesser paint or less options. Just do it.
    Every day your gun is sitting in the desk drawer, is a potential smash and grab crime.
    Professional safecrackers will breech any home safe, but why would a professional want to target you?
    Most of my neighbors don't even know I own a gun and I'll keep it that way. I don't let workmen wander around.

Okay, cue the salesmen who will tell you you need a $10,000 safe.

Ok so right now I have an Springfield Armory XDM and I will be purchasing an HK p2000sk in October. In the near future I do not see myself purchasing long guns/shotguns. For the time being I will be expanding my handguns. After the purchase of the HK I don't anticipate on buying another handgun for some time (probably 1-2 yrs before the next purchase.....unfortunately due to money). So I guess it would be smart to buy a handgun safe that can accommodate 3 or 4 handguns. As I mentioned before due to money I would like to keep the price as low as possible (but still try to get a good quality safe) No more than $500(ish). Thanks for all your help!

Okay, handgun only. The problem is that someone can carry it out. If you get a lockbox, make sure it is secured to a wall joist or floor joist or both.
    I like the idea of cutting out the space between joists in a closet and mounting a box in there. Then access the space by using an electrical panel cover.
    Not many people suspect a breaker box having anything valuable. Get one that locks.

The bottom line is that anything is better than nothing. Be creative. There are small lockboxes that are made to hold papers, etc. Just bolt it down. (They are made with a spot in the bottom and a template to mark the holes.)

If you live in a city, check for "safes" in the yellow pages. You might be surprised at what you can buy used.

Check places like Office Depot, Lowes, Home Depot for small safes. Yes, even Wal-Mart.

Then, don't show it to anyone.

If you're still in the market for a gun safe, I list some promo sales on my blog site: GunSafesBlogger.com. You may also find my FAQ and How-To articles helpful before you purchase. Feel free to ask any specific questions that are not answered on the site. Thanks and good luck!
    - The GunSafeGuru. Visit my Blog at GunSafesBlogger.com

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    SCGunLover1

If you don't want to spend too much $ you may want to try a Bunker Hill Safe http://www.harborfreight.com/electro...afe-45891.html. I have the .37 CU ft model and like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    <snip>
    <snip>.
    This is very good advice. Always leave yourself room to grow. It may not be guns. It could be paperwork, or other valuables. But definitely buy bigger than you think you need.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    This sounds funny but I could not agree more! I wish I had thought of this before I bought my safe. Don't get me wrong, I love my safe but, I can already see where it is going to be too small in a couple of years.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsored Links