New Cannon EX20 Gun Safe Review w/pics

This is a discussion on New Cannon EX20 Gun Safe Review w/pics within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After tons of online research, I got this safe from Costco.com for $579 delivered. They run this $200 off deal periodically; it is also currently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cannon EX20 Gun Safe Review w/pics

After tons of online research, I got this safe from Costco.com for $579 delivered. They run this $200 off deal periodically; it is also currently running now. The only additional charge was a $29 upcharge for non Costco members. The safe is 60"x28"x21" and weighs 420 lbs.

I ordered the safe on 7-27 and it was delivered on 8-10.The freight service, R&L Carriers, provided outstanding communication and service. There were emails every step of the way, and great phone communication at the end to ensure I was there for the delivery. The driver backed down my long driveway and put the safe in my garage without any issues. Very professional.

The safe arrived in perfect condition with all parts enclosed. I used some teflon tape on the handles and have not had any issues with them backing out like some have reported.

I managed to get the safe off the pallet, inside and into my master closet on my own (Don't ask... not a great idea). I removed a shelf and rod from one section of the built-ins in the closet and the safe fit in the space perfectly.

My first attempt at bolting the safe down through the supplied holes did not go too well... a regular drill with a masonry bit wouldn't touch my concrete slab. After that excercise in futility, I went to Home Depot and rented a Hilti hammer drill - this thing drilled four 3/8" holes 3 1/2" deep in about 15 seconds each... unreal. I used Redhead wedge anchors and cranked the safe down tight. These, along with the tight location with a wall on one side and the built in closet shelving on the other, provide enhanced security.

The S&G electronic lock works great, it takes the combination as fast as you can type the numbers in. There have been reports that slow entry of the numbers is neccesary, but I did not find this to be the case. The handle does have to be all the way clockwise for the lock to open - I just make sure when I close it that it is in that position and it is a non issue.

The interior is lightweight but sturdy enough and is quite attractive. The carpeting is thin but nice. The rifle rests are built into the shelf, so short carbines and shotguns need to lean on their own... I am looking for a set of standoffs I can install lower on the center divider to rectify this. I also installed two Stack-On door organizers on the door and got two Versatile Rack handgun racks for the top shelf.

The exterior finish is basic but well done and looks very nice. It is a semi-gloss textured finish. You can see some of the weld marks if you look very close, but the excellent hardware and nice screenprinting really make the safe look good.

The power outlet is a great feature - I used mine to install rope lighting around the inside of the door frame which provides excellent visibility of all contents. A 12' rope light runs up one side, across the top, and down the other side with enough slack to use a little extra on the ceiling. I used 3/8" plastic wire clips and pan head screws to secure it neatly. I did have to wire an extra outlet off of my closet light since I didn't have one in the closet to plug the safe into.

Overall this seems like the best safe anywhere near this price range. There are obviously better units out there with super heavy steel and automotive grade finishes, but dollar for dollar I think this is a great deal. Here's some pics:

Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

Distinguished Member
    That's a very nice set up! If space wasn't so tight in my condo I'd seriously consider getting one.

What are the fire and water ratings of the safe?

edit:
    It looks like there are shelf brackets on the left hand side where the long guns go. Could you not install a shelf at the lowest point which would allow your shorter long guns to fit the rests? Plus give you another cubby at the bottom for other small storage.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Cranesrule,
    I believe you did well by getting a Cannon Safe. I have one as well with the S&G Electronic lock & haven't had the first minutes trouble with it. By having my safe in place it sure makes me feel a lot better about leaving the house without my guns & ammo being hid in several locations around the house. Don't forget a humidifier for it though. I know you will enjoy it.
    Last edited by scgunlover1; August 24th, 2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added Additional Information
    SCGunLover1

FastK9Dad - It is rated at 1200 degrees for 30 minutes. Very basic fire protection. Not rated for water protection. As you can see in the pics I also have a fireproof/waterproof box inside the safe for important documents and media. That is an excellent idea on the shelf - I actually had emailed Cannon for pricing on an extra shelf with clips for that very purpose, and they want $45! Not sure if I am going to allow them to rob me at that price or if I am going to fashion something myself.

SCgunlover1 - Thanks for the comments. I forgot to put in my original post that I am using incandescent rope lighting, which runs at 36 watts for the entire strand. I leave them on, and they act as a Goldenrod does to slightly raise the temp and lower the relative humidity. I have a temp/humidity monitor on the top shelf and I run consistently at 80-82 degrees and 35-40 percent humidity. BTW, which Cannon do you have? Pics?
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)

GM
    Very nice!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Cranesrule,

I struggle with pics to any site. I posted one pic of my wife's gun once and it took me forever to get it on this site. I'll try a little later, OK. The size of my Cannon Safe is 40" Wide x 59" High x 22" Deep. I don't remember how many long guns it is advertised to hold. I need a rack similar to yours for my handguns though. If I remember correctly my safe cost me $900.00 + tax + 100.00 total for 2 delivery men. They put it right where I wanted it using 4 or 6, 2-3 foot long boards with what looked like small railroad tracks with felt on the bottom of the boards to keep from scratching the floor. From the truck to where the safe is located took about 15 minutes. It was well worth the 100.00. I've had mine about 1 year or so & haven't replaced the battery in the S&G lock yet. You are going to really enjoy yours I know plus the piece of mind when leaving the house.
    SCGunLover1

I think you will be happy with your choice. I had a large Cannon for years, until I gave it to my son.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cranesrule View Post
    FastK9Dad - It is rated at 1200 degrees for 30 minutes. Very basic fire protection. Not rated for water protection. As you can see in the pics I also have a fireproof/waterproof box inside the safe for important documents and media. That is an excellent idea on the shelf - I actually had emailed Cannon for pricing on an extra shelf with clips for that very purpose, and they want $45! Not sure if I am going to allow them to rob me at that price or if I am going to fashion something myself.
    Good idea with the internal box for document protection. You can probably buy the shelf clips at Home Depot or Lowes and a small piece of shelving cut to size won't cost much at all.

love it. looks awesome. i need to get one...

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I bought this same safe near Christmas and would give it an identical review. Nice safe, well made, fits the bill well at an excellent price!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    You can probably buy the shelf clips at Home Depot or Lowes and a small piece of shelving cut to size won't cost much at all.
    I was just checking this out again... I noticed that the shelf bracket on the left side of the safe starts significantly higher than the one on the center divider. I think it would raise the floor too high on that side for my Mauser or any other longer rifles to fit well. Does anyone know where I could buy a length of stand-off or bumper type material to attach to the divider to use as a rifle rest?
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)

Distinguished Member
    I was just checking this out again... I noticed that the shelf bracket on the left side of the safe starts significantly higher than the one on the center divider.
    Well that's awfully silly, why would they do that?

I'd check auto part stores for bumper guards or other moldings you can use. You should be able to find a bunch of different styles of rubber bumpers there. Maybe something like this that you can cut down to fit. It has the grooves in it that should prevent a rifle from sliding.

You can always make a quick shelf. It doesn't look like you need much height just a few inches. I'd take a 1x3 or 1x4 cut it into two pieces to fit front to back in the safe and then put a piece of laminated shelf cut down on top of it. It would give you the height, it's not permanent and can be easily removed at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Well that's awfully silly, why would they do that?

I'd check auto part stores for bumper guards or other moldings you can use. You should be able to find a bunch of different styles of rubber bumpers there. Maybe something like this that you can cut down to fit. It has the grooves in it that should prevent a rifle from sliding.

You can always make a quick shelf. It doesn't look like you need much height just a few inches. I'd take a 1x3 or 1x4 cut it into two pieces to fit front to back in the safe and then put a piece of laminated shelf cut down on top of it. It would give you the height, it's not permanent and can be easily removed at any time.
    Hey, that's awesome! I never thought about bumper guards... thanks for the pic. Also good ideas for the quick shelf. Now I just need to decide which route to go - I'll post pics once it is done. Thanks again. (BTW, the brackets on the left and right sides of the safe have to be high enough for the top shelf - looks like that's why they are positioned like they are)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)

Distinguished Member
    Hey, that's awesome! I never thought about bumper guards... thanks for the pic. Also good ideas for the quick shelf. Now I just need to decide which route to go - I'll post pics once it is done. Thanks again. (BTW, the brackets on the left and right sides of the safe have to be high enough for the top shelf - looks like that's why they are positioned like they are)
    Ahh, makes sense about brackets and the top shelf.

No problem about the ideas and pics. With the bumper guard idea you could almost line the whole inside so you're not limited to one side if you wanted. But the shelf gives you a little cubby at the bottom. It's a toss up! LOL

Very nice safe. I really like the shelf layout in yours.

I bought my first true safe about a year ago and i can attest to the peace of mind having one really gives you. I feel much better now that everything is locked up in a sturdy fire rated safe. If you don't have one, spend the $ and get a good safe. You will never regret it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links