Suppressors....

Suppressors....

This is a discussion on Suppressors.... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was selected for E-6 this year and I've decided to reward myself. I'm building an M4 for myself and decided that it's going ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressors....

Suppressors....

So I was selected for E-6 this year and I've decided to reward myself. I'm building an M4 for myself and decided that it's going to be suppressed. I'm looking at a YHM Phantom QD (Model: YHM-3100-A). with the YHM Phantom QD flash suppressor. And I've found it for $445. Anybody have any experience with these? Or maybe have a better recommendation? I'm looking for a QD suppressor.

Thanks.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

My friend owns a YHM Stainless Steel Phantom and it's pretty quiet. However, it's heavy therefore making his rifle front heavy. If you don't mind the weight then I'd say go for it.

If you're interested in a Gemtech G5, check out this group buy we have going on. Let me know if you have any questions.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=121&t=796975

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

I don't know, is there any other reason to go with the Gemtech? It's almost twice the price, and it's actually longer, and it's only 1.2 ounces lighter.
    TSgt. Lickey

Here's some info that may help.
    http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/vie...t.asp?idpage=7

Their suppressors and customer service is superb. Also, the Gemtech is a few decibels quieter. The YHM Stainless Steel Phantom reduces Db to about 138 and the Gemtech G5 reduces Db to about 132. Also, according to the FAQ, they've had suppressors with over 100,000 rds fired through them.

ETA: The YHM SSP features all 304 Stainless Steel and Inconel 718 construction. The Gemtech G5 features Titanium, stainless steels, and inconel construction.

Talked extensively with the GemTech rep at yesterday's machine gun shoot at Thor. Probably thirty minutes worth I picked them over. I think they'd be my go to outfit if and when I got in the market for one. I'm just saying.....they seem to be the industry standard as of now. Very modular from weapon to weapon as well.

Senior Moderator
    Unless you plan on shooting subsonic ammo, dont expect it to be quiet. Although they'll be what is known as "hearing safe", meaning that you dont need ear plugs, that sonic crack is still pretty loud.

Here is one that tested 110db shooting a 220 grain bullet at 1050FPS. The "plop" you hear after the shot is the bullet hitting the berm at 100 yards. The real beauty of a suppressor is acheived only with subsonic speeds.

The only problem is with a .223 at subsonic speed you arent getting much more power than a .22 and more than likely it wont cycle the action. If you just want to shoot the heck out of it with full power loads, it's fine.

This video was taken a few years ago. Its a Rem.700 .300 Whisper that I built.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Trick I learned from an Army sniper - get a lighter weight buffer and spring while using heavy bullets.

So what exactly is the difference between chrome moly steel, stainless steal, and titanium suppressors?

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Trick I learned from an Army sniper - get a lighter weight buffer and spring while using heavy bullets.
    Why? What does that do?
    Last edited by A1C Lickey; September 1st, 2010 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Spelling.....sorry
    TSgt. Lickey

An AR won't cycle with a 55gr bullet going 1000fps b/c there's not enough pressure created to move the BCG back and compress the buffer spring. Going up in bullet weight at the same velocity increases pressure and a lighter buffer weight/spring decreases the amount of pressure needed to cycle the action. A skeletonized BCG may also be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    So what exactly is the difference between chrome moly steel, stainless steal, and titanium suppressors?
    Chrome Moly while tough will rust/corrode faster than Stainless Steel. Titanium is much stronger and lighter.

Look at Surefire's suppressors.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Well thanks for the input everyone.

I made the plunge and purchased a Gemtech Halo earlier this afternoon. Since this is m first NFA item I also went the trust route and will be sending the trust paperwork and my form 4 off on Friday.

What really sold it was being able to handle the Gemtech Halo, YHM Phantom, a Fischer (?) and a Surefire all at the same time. The Surefire by far was the lightest and smallest, but I just couldn't justify the price. But the Gemtech's weight plus being compatible with both of my current AR's really just made it the only choice.
    TSgt. Lickey

Well, I finally got MINE after waiting a YEAR for the BATFE to process my TRUST documents and issue the stamp. I bought an SWR Trident 9 model for my Beretta M92FS (here's a link) http://class3weapons.com/swr/sales_s..._silencer.html and I got the LCD device to go along to insure proper cycling. I took it to the range a few days ago, but I only had +P ammo and while it was quiet, it wasn't super quiet and I couldn't remove my muffs anyway on a public range in HOT mode! I'll take it out maybe at the next IDPA match and take some video to post here. It looked very BAD, though. My buddies all concede that I now have the "coolest toy on the block." Looks very Bond, James Bond. LOL That "can" sure does get HOT though! I ran only about 25 rounds through it and I could barely touch it to get it off. I had my barrel threaded by a 'smith specifically recommended by SWR as being on THEIR list for the warranty. Here is a YOUTUBE video of the Trident 9. I liked it because it was DESIGNED to suppress a sub-gun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDD6HLarlUk&NR=1 I did see and continue to see ammo advertised as being from some weird manufacturer I don't recognize. My buddy who reloads as a full time BUSINESS said the ammo used is improperly loading 158gr projectiles into 9mm cases and while it will be very subsonic it can harm the weapon. I'll just stay with normal 9mm 147gr ammo. I just saw a write up on a NEW suppressor product that could make shooting "cans" a LOT more enjoyable in the years to come. While the new product ain't 'zactly CHEAP, I'm sure the prices will come down eventually and it might be worth a look. http://www.shootersdepot.com/militar...products/lions
    Last edited by ExSoldier; November 11th, 2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: add detail
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Well, I finally got MINE after waiting a YEAR for the BATFE to process my TRUST documents and issue the stamp. I bought an SWR Trident 9 model for my Beretta M92FS (here's a link) http://class3weapons.com/swr/sales_s..._silencer.html and I got the LCD device to go along to insure proper cycling. I took it to the range a few days ago, but I only had +P ammo and while it was quiet, it wasn't super quiet and I couldn't remove my muffs anyway on a public range in HOT mode! I'll take it out maybe at the next IDPA match and take some video to post here. It looked very BAD, though. My buddies all concede that I now have the "coolest toy on the block." Looks very Bond, James Bond. LOL That "can" sure does get HOT though! I ran only about 25 rounds through it and I could barely touch it to get it off. I had my barrel threaded by a 'smith specifically recommended by SWR as being on THEIR list for the warranty. Here is a YOUTUBE video of the Trident 9. I liked it because it was DESIGNED to suppress a sub-gun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDD6HLarlUk&NR=1 I did see and continue to see ammo advertised as being from some weird manufacturer I don't recognize. My buddy who reloads as a full time BUSINESS said the ammo used is improperly loading 158gr projectiles into 9mm cases and while it will be very subsonic it can harm the weapon. I'll just stay with normal 9mm 147gr ammo. I just saw a write up on a NEW suppressor product that could make shooting "cans" a LOT more enjoyable in the years to come. While the new product ain't 'zactly CHEAP, I'm sure the prices will come down eventually and it might be worth a look. http://www.shootersdepot.com/militar...products/lions
    I know I'm rabbit trailing here, but are you talking literally a year? Was the paperwork fubar or something?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I only own cans for handguns, but at least on a rifle, although the ammo may not be sub-sonic & a "crack" is heard, it at least helps prevent the exact location of where the weapon was fired from being located as easily.

ETA: My first stamp took almost 5 months, but the second one only took about 46 days.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links