bug out bag item: phone

This is a discussion on bug out bag item: phone within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/....html?hpt=Sbin Interesting article about no frills phones. Could have good application as an addition to a bug out bag/emergancy kit. The article suggests keeping around ...

Thread: bug out bag item: phone

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/....html?hpt=Sbin

Interesting article about no frills phones. Could have good application as an addition to a bug out bag/emergancy kit.

The article suggests keeping around an extra cell phone that does nothing but call and text, because the will hold a charge for extended periods of time and support significantly longer talk time on a charge. This could be good if you live in an area prone to winter power outages or significant storm situations.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Texting is very important!
    In David Morris’s book Urban Survival Guide he tells a short story about his experience with cell phones working in emergencies. In short, 20,000 people were trying to make phone calls which overheated the nearest cell phone tower, which then placed more strain on the surrounding towers which then crashed like dominoes. In the end, 7 towers had burnt out and text messaging was the only thing working for two days!
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Good point/ idea. What plan would you use it on ? Pre-paid?,...I think that would definitely have better battery/shelf life then my EDC Motorola Droid-X

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Good point/ idea. What plan would you use it on ? Pre-paid?,...I think that would definitely have better battery/shelf life then my EDC Motorola Droid-X
    Not sure what the best plan is yet, but after reading the article I'm looking. I think it's even more important now days as people get away from hard line phones. I know I've had the same cell number for the last 4 duty stations I've had, and haven't bothered to establish a home phone in any of them. The few times I've been with out power, I just used the car charger. This would be a good alternative in a situation where that isn't an option.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

GM
    I have an “emergency” pre-paid cell phone that does nothing but call and text; I never use it but it is always charged. I also have a solar-powered cell phone charger.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I have an “emergency” pre-paid phone that does nothing but call and text; I never use it but it is always charged. I also have a solar-powered cell phone charger to it.
    Do your minutes expire with pre-paid? Do they text? I don't know anything about them. I've only ever had contract phones.

Good iea with the solar-powered charger!

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Do your minutes expire with pre-paid? Do they text? I don't know anything about them. I've only ever had contract phones.

Good iea with the solar-powered charger!
    I have a Tracfone. The unused minutes rollover (you do not lose them), but you have to buy a new card before the end-of-service date, otherwise they cancel the service, you lose the minutes, and you lose the phone number too. I also got a double-minutes card that doubles the amount of minutes I buy; the card is good forever. The phone can text and send/receive voice messages too.

I also have a crank charger, but I do not trust it too much (poor quality).
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'd buy a prepaid disposable cell phone and keep it in you BOB.
    Of course, If the SHTF, cell phones may not be working, but it's cheap insurance.

I was talking about this with a friend who is also puttin gtogether a BOB and he mentioned that prepaid would mean communicating "anonymously" sort of off the grid untrackable as well if it came down to that. Makes sense
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Cell phones still use towers to operate. If big brother's looking for you, they'll still track you down. If the SHTF for real, expect military or government powers to own and operate everything in the nation's infrastructure within days. Communications, vehicular traffic, banking systems, utilities, water and food supply, fuel, local law enforcement, etc..... While I'm not necessarily thinking a cell phone wouldn't be a good idea for the BOB, I'd consider a hand-held CB radio as well. When we seriously think about 'bugging out', we might think more about total self-reliance.....the possibilities of not being able to depend on anything but ourselves out in the wilderness. If you live close to wilderness, consider yourself more lucky than most....you'll have a shorter hike to get there. I'm hoping I'm at home and not at work when the decision needs to be made. My bag isn't actually packed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    If big brother's looking for you, they'll still track you down. If the SHTF for real, expect military or government powers to own and operate everything in the nation's infrastructure within days.
    How will they know it's your phone?
    Why do you think the muslim terrorists buy prepaid cellphones for one time only communications.

That was my point...there is no ID to that phone...any Tom can buy a prepaid, not paper trail to tie it to you...like your contract phone. I agree with CB and maybe even a Ham radio. The license is very simple to obtain, and equipment can be had for reasonable prices.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Hey GM......where can i find a solid solar charger for my cell phone? Does a cell charger work for all brands of cell phones?
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    That was my point...there is no ID to that phone...any Tom can buy a prepaid, not paper trail to tie it to you...like your contract phone. I agree with CB and maybe even a Ham radio. The license is very simple to obtain, and equipment can be had for reasonable prices.
    Point taken. They won't even be concerned with who you are......just that your out there and out from under control at the time. Still, your phone is using towers owned by someone else basically. Keep your keywords in conversation to a minimum by the way...they've got people listening for that already. Not in who you are.......all that will matter is that you won't conform. Rogue and outcast. They will hunt those first as they will be the biggest threat to what's coming down. It's all about control.

Sponsored Links