Defensive Carry banner

Safe Help from my HI humidity people

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  NCHornet 
#1 ·
Anyone who lives in or has experience with hi humidity please give me some advise. I could sure use it for some peace of mind.

I live in Florida and have my gun safe in the garage bolted down simply because there is no convent place inside my house for me to put it. I feel perfectly safe with it being outside in the garage given that my garage is tied into my alarm system and you can’t get in without setting off the alarm.however the garge is not ac'ed and is subjected the the hi hi florida humidity. Given that fact my question is in regards to the humidity and my “investments” inside the safe. I have one electric dehumidifier and one bead dehumidifiers inside (the kind that the beads change color when they need to be put in the oven to be dried out). Is that enough?? I’m always worried about the humidity level inside and I’ve been thinking about adding another one of the electric ones and/or the bead ones to be on the safe side. Is that over kill??? I’ve spoken to someone I know who swears that the one electric dehumidifier rod is more than enough, he has had his safe in his garage for 30+ years without a single problem of rust or any form of humidity problems on anything (he keeps more than just his firearms in his safe). I just can’t seem to shake the feeling that I should have more. What is your opinion?? Am I over thinking it??

I keep everything well oiled and lubed before I put it up in case that makes a difference to anyone’s thoughts.

See less See more
#3 ·
Here in North Carolina we have similar humidity problems, I have a Golden Rod heater and two canisters of a product called Damp Rid in my safe. Depending upon the weather the Damp Rid lasts between 2 to 5 months before it has to be replaced. In over two years I have had my safe I have not had a problem with either guns or coins stored there.

http://www.damprid.com/indexd86f.html

#5 ·
Correct. The flakes all "melt" and you end up with a thing of clearish liquid in the lower portion of whatever Damp Rid container you are using (I use the refillable cup thing).

But for my guns I use reusable dessicant. Problem is, even indoors, they all seem to turn pink within just a day or two, even with the door closed. Granted, it's not a gun safe (more like a lockbox), but despite that, I haven't had too many problems.

I would second the "golden rod" idea. Dessicants in the garage here in FL are going to get soaked way too quickly. You'll probably have to replace your damp rid every week in the garage. That could get pretty expensive.

#6 ·
But for my guns I use reusable dessicant. Problem is, even indoors, they all seem to turn pink within just a day or two, even with the door closed. Granted, it's not a gun safe (more like a lockbox), but despite that, I haven't had too many problems.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_74814_425005011_425000000_425005000_425-5-11

this is what i use and i noticed the beed turn pink in about a week that one reason why i was so worried about humidity in the safe. Im leaning more and more twords a second rod.

#7 ·
I have a gun safe in my shop. I use a couple of "plug in to dry out" bead dehumidifiers. I have not have any problem. I still worry a little though. I have seen some pretty rusty guns come out of a closet.

#9 ·
I am in NC and my safe is in my basement where I have a room that is sheet rocked. But this room also has a hot tub in it. I have a large dehumidifier in the room and a 24" golden rod in the safe and I have never had even the smallest hint of rust or corrosion on any of my firearms. YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.