Need a powerful, small light

This is a discussion on Need a powerful, small light within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided I need a small, bright light that I can carry in my pocket and also keep on the nightstand at night. I see ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a powerful, small light

I decided I need a small, bright light that I can carry in my pocket and also keep on the nightstand at night. I see prices all over the place and wanted to get some recommendations from those of you that have one. Do I need to spend $100's to get a good light? Can you get something good for less? Is there a minimum amount of lumens they should have? Certain features?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to do this right the first time.
    Thanks!

I just cannot justify spending $50+ for a Surefire, or something of this sort. Found a Dorcy small compact lite, in alumimum case at Wal Mart for around $17, about 2 years ago. Runs on 3 AAA batteries, and it is the greatest thing since canned beer. Should have bought several more. Since then, I cannot find them. But they are very well worth every cent. Pushbutton switch on end.

Distinguished Member
    I have a Quark Mini 123 and it has got to be the smallest light I've seen and carried. It's less than 2.5" long but that sucker is bright! The only down side is it doesn't have a push button tailpiece so you have to twist it on and off. You'd have to upgrade to a slightly bigger size to get that feature. I'm considering buy a different body for mine (just unscrew head and switch so it's like having two different lights) or getting one of their tactical models with a programmable interface.

IMAG0124.jpg

Walmart. Coleman LED, 90 lumens.$18.88

I have two of the cheapo coleman lights. Sometimes they flicker... :( My EDC light is a Fenix pd30. Check these lights out. Under 100 bucks, click button tail cap and you can leave it on turbo or low for when you turn it on. The batteries last over a year for me, I just changed them. Definitely worth the money in my opinion.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I second the suggestion for the 4Sevens lights. They are very high performance for the money. I almost always carry the 4Sevens Preon 1. It's virtually the same diameter as a Bic pen, but half the length. I simply clip it to my back pocet all of the time. It runs on a AAA battery and has three levels of light (1.8, 8.5 and 70 lumens). That's exceptionally bright for a light that size. The other light I often carry is the 4Sevens Quark 123, R5. It has five levels of light from 0.2 lumens to a ridiculous 206 lumens. It's very well built and has very useful modes.

Another great benefit of 4Sevens lights is that most of them are lego style lights. Meaning that you can often change different parts of the lights. For example, you can buy a different body and change a AA light to a 2AA light.

I use this: http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/7

I got it on post for like $14 but I lost it so I found another one on Amazon for $20 shipped it fits in my pocket and it is HELLA bright.

Fenix also has a light called the O light. It's tiny. I got one for about $60. It was to upgrade from a Coleman that was coming apart. My Coleman kept falling apart in my pocket. It's a nightstand light now. Now the O light is on the shotgun and I carry a Fenix PD 30. It's a great light too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Third vote here for Quark lights from 4sevens. Great lights and the mini disappears even in my pocket (I'm only 5'5") with my cell phone.

MG Pocket Rocket small, 700 lumens with 2 levels. Uses the new SST 50 emitter.

65 bucks

Please, don't buy a cheap light. I have been into the flashlight hobby for almost a year now, and there are some AMAZING lights out there, at fairly reasonable prices.

Here is a pic of my smallish 'tactical' lights:

Based on your description, you have a few choices. I would go for something that has around 200 lumens as a minimum. Most of the lights in the pic meet that criteria. A big consideration is the battery. Do you want to use common AA batteries? The two lights on the far left are both great AA lights. But you'll get a little more power and a reduced overall size if you move to CR123 batteries. The CR123's are expensive though, unless you buy them in quantity.

The light that I carry in my pocket every single day is the Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5. It is small and very bright. The thing I like about the Quark 'Tactical' UI (user interface) is that you can program the light easily for two settings. You have seven selections available. choose any two and program into the light, then mode 1 is available with the head tight and mode 2 is available with head loose.

Honestly, for your first light, I would highly recommend the Quark AA*2 'Tactical' light on the left: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=1656

Good luck!

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I, too, have a tough time justifying $60+ for a non-rechargeable, CR123 type flashlight. For myself, I'd much prefer something that uses rechargeable AA or AAA batteries. In the past few years, such batteries have gotten to support many more recharges than they used to. The lighting power of some of the newer lights is pretty amazing.

I've been looking at three different flashlights from Coast Products:

• Coast #7736 V2 LED -- 3xAAA, 110 lumens @ 37hrs, 4.5"L, ~$40.
    • Coast #7736 TS LED -- 3xAAA, 115 lumens @ 52hrs, 3xAAA, 5.4"L, ~$45.
    • Coast #8420 T7 LED -- 4xAAA, 200L strobe w/ 150 lumens @ 55hrs or 30 lumens @ 64 hrs, 5.8", ~$70.

Coast makes several different models that range from home/garage use to outdoor/tactical use. Some of their lights are exceptionally powerful. These three seem to be the best of the bunch (to me). Haven't decided, yet. They are small enough for a pocket, certainly small enough for a holster or clip (optional), and many will affix to a firearm. Best of all, they use relatively inexpensive AAA or AA rechargeable batteries.

The Fenix PD30 and PD20 also look interesting.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Another vote for the Fenix PD30 (2-CR123) My 6 yr. old plays with mine on a regular basis and it's still on the original batteries and still in one piece.

If you want the smaller version, try the PD 20 (1-CR123)

My experience with lights is limited to the PD 30, a Surefire on my shotgun, and an Insight on my pistol. All use the CR23 batteries and I've found them to be worth he extra money.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member
    Nice photo SS Chevy.

Do you have one of the quark MiNis? And you have had good luck with that website you posted for ordering things? Or was that just to show models.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I have a Quark Mini 123 and it has got to be the smallest light I've seen and carried. It's less than 2.5" long but that sucker is bright! The only down side is it doesn't have a push button tailpiece so you have to twist it on and off. You'd have to upgrade to a slightly bigger size to get that feature. I'm considering buy a different body for mine (just unscrew head and switch so it's like having two different lights) or getting one of their tactical models with a programmable interface.
    I carry a mini123 daily as well and love it...all of 4sevens stuff is really quality at a good price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links