LEO flashlights

LEO flashlights

This is a discussion on LEO flashlights within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all it's been a while since I posted on here but I'm glad to be back. Anyway I digress. Here is my question. I ...

Thread: LEO flashlights

LEO flashlights

Hey all it's been a while since I posted on here but I'm glad to be back. Anyway I digress. Here is my question.

I am looking for a new DUTY light. I have a stinger, a G2, and a Fenix Tk12. The TK and G2 take the cr123 batteries. I prefer the rechargable features of the stinger, but like the light weight and compact size of the other 2. I have been thinking about a Strion LED or Stinger DS LED. Also thought of going the total opposite way and getting an ultrastinger but that will probably stay in the car.

Any suggestions?? I am not hell bent on streamlight but I know that they have good reliability. Thanks.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Part of your choice will depend on if you consider it strictly an illumination device or also consider it a weapon of opportunity.

I would definately use it as a weapon if necessary but I can use my g2 as a weapon, very similar to kubaton techniques.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

hmmm

how many lumens u looking for?

me ( regular guy ) i carry a quark by 4sevens, its powered by 2AA, alkiline, lithiums or rechargeable.

i put rechargeable eneloops in mine...it can be a pain if u need to use alot...because it doesnt have a cradle to charge like the streamlight,so u would have to swap batt

i have the tactical version heres a description from the site: The Quark Tactical can memorize any two modes of output, from its eight total modes, to be instantly available. These two memorized modes are accessed by either tightening or loosening the head (for example, tight can be Max, and loose can be Low).

me, i have tigthen as max, and losen at high, or u can have tighten as strobe, and losen for max, or tighten as high and losen could be a lower one for checking ids and such..very versitle depending on ur operation for the day..

it comes in cool tint ( the reg led tints ) and neutral white which looks more like incandecant light, for that depth preception...

here it is, http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=2318

the only negitives is the 200 lumens last 1.3 hrs fully charged. but the second highest level is 80lumens which last for 5 hrs...80 lumens is decent enough i believe for most light needed task,
    another negitive is, u have to sorta learn how to program it...not hard, just takes a lil reading

this one is for more distance:
    http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=1917

this one uses the cr123a but produces 350 lumens..:http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=2399

good that u carry 3 lights on u, another newer surefire to look at to replace ur g2 is the g2x! lol 200 lumens for 2.5 hrs on 2 cr123a batt. i donno what the tint will be like, so far im guessing its the cooler tint like other leds out there. heres a link , only 55 dollars for the plastic one

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sug2xtaflnew.html

or the 6px , the metal version is 70 bucks,
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/su6pxtaflnew.html

good luck! u might also wanna post ur question on : www.candlepowerforums.com/

oh yea, and theres also alot of independent reviews on flashlights on there, take a look around and search it!

isn't that tk12 a bit bulky?

i've got a tk11, about the same size, but it stays in the car.

if you're happy with the tk12 size, the new maelstrom from 4 sevens is really nice (if you don't switch between low and high modes often, because the interface is a bit difficult). I really like mine. you can just put in a rechargeable 18650 in that.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i carry a surefire, and a maglite, i personally prefer the maglight on duty because i can take it off the charger and put it on my belt or use it to light someone or something up, then if need be i have an immediate impact weapon in my hand if i dont have time to get my baton out
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I like having my Surefire G2 LED on the belt. The batteries last for 12 hours. My back up light is a Surefire E2e clipped in my pocket right under the G2 LED. I also have an old school 3D Maglight in my duty bag.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Cool

I do not know how large a light you need however I use this as a light that is always with me day and night.

http://www.surefire.com/E2D-Executive-Defender
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Take a look at the Pelican 7060. Designed for the LAPD. More money but a
    lifetime warranty, car and home charger available, and the switches are done correctly for LE.

I love the Stinger DS LED. Very bright and rechargable. I know a few departments here that issue them.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

My agency went to the Stinger LED a few months ago. Having carried a magcharger for many years I had my reservations. No longer, I'm very satisfied with them. I still keep my magcharger handy but have faith in the Stinger LED. For a secondary light on the belt, consider a Surefire 6P LED. I just upgraded my standard 6P with the KX4 LED conversion head. double the runtime of the standard 6P and the output is boosted from 65 to 120 Lumens.

When I was a PO, I carried Maglite Rechargeable and Surefire Z2 as my combat light. Now I work for the airlines. I was carrying a Surefire E2 Defender, but found out that it is illegal because it is considered a weapon. So I just ordered a Surefire 6P Tactical for EDC on the job. Will let you know how the light works. I like Surefires and will convert the old ones to LEDs as the budget allows, I've converted my Maglites to LEDs an I'm impressed so far.

Olight T25 T or Fenix LD20. Run off two AA batteries come with a nice belt sheath and are very slim. Gave the fenix to my brother as a gift, and am giving the Olight to a friend as a gift. Both are around 200 lumens, with various light settings, strobe and SOS, momentary on and constant on.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Working nights for most of my 20 years, I carried a SL-20X. In 20 years it went through 4 battery sticks, 3 switches and 3 bulbs... Still works today, a lot better than I do...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links