Flip-to-the-Side Mount

This is a discussion on Flip-to-the-Side Mount within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Once I decide whether or not an Eotech XPS-2 will be bright enough to be easily seen during the day........I'm going to need to mount ...

Thread: Flip-to-the-Side Mount

Flip-to-the-Side Mount

Once I decide whether or not an Eotech XPS-2 will be bright enough to be easily seen during the day........I'm going to need to mount a magnifier. I know some of you might say "why mount a crappy magnifier, with an outstanding sight?" But I looked at the Eotech 3X magnifier, and can not understand while with the mount it runs around $550??? That's more than the sight!!

So who makes a good flip-to-the-side mount? I'm asking for all price ranges. I'm thinking the Mako 5x or 7x would be a good option? which means the mount must have a ring that separates in order to fit this type of magnifier.

I also know that Vortex makes a 3x magnifier now for around $150, but is 3x even enough to make that much of a difference? THANKS!!
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

Slow down for a bit... what is it you want your carbine to do? Is it a hunting gun, a fun gun, or a defensive weapon?

If the gun is going to play any sort of defensive role, than I suggest you outfit it for that purpose first. A magnifier does not fall into that realm, as a red dot sight is typically a minute-of-bad guy optic out to 200 yards tops. Realistically, if you're in a defensive mode in anything other than a battle zone you'll be aiming at targets within 100 yards, and you surely won't be needing magnification for that.

I've had Border Patrol guys in each of my carbine courses, and they run ACOGs on their carbines - 4x, I think. Even their best shooters were at a disadvantage at ranges under 50 yards compared to those of us with RDS (without magnification).

My suggestion to you is to get a good red dot sight and invest in some training first, then decide if you want or need a magnifier. EAG Tactical (and possibly others) runs a Carbine Operators Course nearly every year at Southern Exposure Training Facility in Kathleen, FL - don't know if that's anywhere near you. Get some time behind the trigger and learn how to fight with the gun first... you will learn LOTS from being immersed in a class with military and civilian pros and guys who can't have their pictures taken. Then you can realistically reassess your needs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

gasmitty, you're one of my favorite members, always chiming in with some great advice. Yes sir, this will be a defensive weapon that will also be part of my bug in/out package. I'll take your advice and get a good sight, and invest in some trigger time. Kathleen, Fl is a little far from me at this point. I live in NE Florida. But for some good training a 4 hour road trip, and a training weekend, isn't out of the question.

But if I were to decide to mount a magnifier (it can't hurt, esp if it's out of the way of the sight I train with), I'm just wondering what my options are on flip-to-the-side mounts....
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

You're too kind, but thanks. A flip-over mount is a bit of a rarefied deal (for a reason - think about it), but I would search the AR parts vendors with reliable names like Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, LaRue, & Tango Down for a few. Also, log into AR15.com ("'arfcom") and pose the question there. What you want to avoid is the cheap, no-name stuff that is unproven for reliablility and ruggedness.

What you might find which is ultimately more useful is a QD mount, rather than a flip-over. A solid piece like the LaRue I got for my Aimpoint reliably comes back to zero when dismounted and remounted, and that's what you want. They don't come cheaply, though!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Gasmitty is right on target. The less moving parts you have to depend on the better.
    A less than name brand magnifier may work but the problem lies in the flip to the side mount. I have seen more than one when flipped to the side just keep on flipping off the rifle.
    The QD style mounts are much stronger. Save your money and get something decent you won't be sorry.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Lead Moderator
    Got to go with Smitty, when you are talking optics mounts you can't get much better than LaRue!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links