For those who only have a handgun or two (maybe three)

This is a discussion on For those who only have a handgun or two (maybe three) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by shooter1 Me thinks ya might be wrong about the properties of black powder---------------. Smokeless powder is "extremely flammable", black powder is "explosive". ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those who only have a handgun or two (maybe three)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter1 View Post
    Me thinks ya might be wrong about the properties of black powder---------------. Smokeless powder is "extremely flammable", black powder is "explosive". And,--------unless you create a vacuum inside your safe, there's plenty of oxygen to fuel an explosion. Anyone plasma or acetylene cutting into a safe in the proximity of a can of black powder is going to have a very bad day!
    Stay Safe!
    str1

Black Powder is an explosive in that it buns by deflagration. This differs from detonation in that Black Powder produces subsonic shock waves, as opposed to the supersonic shock waves produced by explosives such as Dynamite, C-4 or TNT. This means that Black Powder is better suited as a propellant (such as in fireworks, bullets and cannons) than blasting (such as in construction or demolition).

It is unknown how much oxygen exists in a 1.5 cu. ft. safe. The door is not necessarily sealed. It would also take much less oxygen to ignite gunpowder than other carbon based materials.

It might go bang, but I doubt it. A can of black powder is not confined into that tight of a space by volume. It would burn and it would burn fast.

Remember also, the Plasma cutter or any torch will consume oxygen as it cuts.

Right, 1/4" is pushing it as for cutting. It would take care of 9 ga. steel but you would need to peel it back to get to the inner layer of steel. A sledge hammer and cold chisel might work about as well.

It would make for an interesting experiment.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

Wheels or not, it only weighs 80#s......just like RS99 said, it would make a good carrying case for whatever you have in it.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    If you can, try to find something fireproof too just in case. People generally buy a safe for one intended purpose and then end up wanting to put other stuff in it also.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I like the original post for 2 reasons:
    1) the safe may be imperfect, but it IS better than what I lock my handguns in currently;
    2) by including the link, you just made me discover that there are 2 stores not that far from me. Not close enough to make me go there and browse, but good to know they exist in case they have something I want to go pick up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin82plus View Post
    I like the original post for 2 reasons:
    1) the safe may be imperfect, but it IS better than what I lock my handguns in currently;
    2) by including the link, you just made me discover that there are 2 stores not that far from me. Not close enough to make me go there and browse, but good to know they exist in case they have something I want to go pick up.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/extra-savings.html
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Sweet !

At 80 lbs, on casters/wheels and not bolted down, any burglar is likely to make off with it. Such a unit might have its place, but IMO it's place isn't for deterring theft via burglary. Nor, at only 80 lbs is it going to be very sturdy in the face of an attack from, say, an axe or prying tools. Something to consider.

If I were looking for a smaller unit (< 2 cu.ft.) for a few pistols, I'd opt for something far tougher and able to be bolted to the house. There are units that have little to no fire protection. Me, I'd want it even in a small unit. Check something like an AMSEC UL-1812 or UL-2018, or similar. Having scanned Craigslist.org and a few other used places over the past 18mos or so, these can be occasionally found for $250-400 depending on condition. With such a unit, you could also use it for cash, household documents, jewelry and be fairly comfortable with doing so. Tougher, bolted down and with some measure of fire protection, I would feel far better with what was being protected. Best option like this was one that came up within 40mi of my home about 2yrs ago, an AMSEC UL-1812 for $250/obo. Didn't get it.

Here's one right now, actually (Oct 22, posted about 2hrs ago on Craigslist): AMSEC safe, 20x30x30, electronic lock, granite finish, $250. Contact Mike at ph (707) 267-8203 or sale-mmz9y-1968323915@craigslist.org .

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It really doesn't matter whether it's made in China or not. It is what it is. It gives all the specs you need to know whether you want to buy it or not.

Lets look at it objectively, a 9 gauge steel body, 5 gauge steel door with 6 gauge steel door frame. Looks like one locking lug on each side and no fire proofing. It is a heavy duty steel cabinet which is probably slightly stronger than the lower end Stack-On cabinets. More like a beefed up file cabinet with a half way decent lock.

For me, I'd pass on it but it would probably suffice to keep small children safe from gaining access to your guns.

I would not get anything which didn't have fire protection rating as well as physical security.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Harbor Freight is basically where I buy stuff that I need but don't really need to get something of quality.

For instance, rubber wheel chocks and a wheeled stool for the garage. Various small tools such as little wire brushes, extra tape measure, etc.

For everything it is Craftsman or Makita in my book.

In terms of the OP's post...I would consider this safe for something like a backup or something but still use a higher quality safe for really precious things. Maybe use this as the secondary safe in a different part of the house to store a couple HD guns just in case bad guys break in and I am somehow not near my primary safe or not armed.

If you look in your NRA magazines or in the sunday paper there is usually a sale flier with a 20% off coupon. If i did my math right its $10 cheaper buying the safe @ full price using the 20% off coupon than buying the safe at its current sale price

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    No electronic locks for me, thanks.
    Me either. You said exactly what I was thinking. The parts in the super cheap electronics are junk. The odds are they will brake and when they do, there is no fix.

Fitch

Check out the lower priced safes @Lowes. They are not the same quality as Liberty's, but you can bolt them down ans store long guns, a big plus in my books.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links