For those who only have a handgun or two (maybe three)

This is a discussion on For those who only have a handgun or two (maybe three) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.harborfreight.com/electro...campaign=4110B I'm gonna try to get to my local Harbor Freight this week to see this one. It'll hold the few things I have....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who only have a handgun or two (maybe three)

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

For those who only have a handgun or two (maybe three)

http://www.harborfreight.com/electro...campaign=4110B

I'm gonna try to get to my local Harbor Freight this week to see this one. It'll hold the few things I have.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

IMO.....keep looking online. Even Wally World might have something better for less. Harbor Freight? Nice catalog....nice store. The offerings at the prices? Well.........I wouldn't shop there for anything other than food products, and since they don't offer food products, I tend to stay away. The day they start offering nacho cheese dip in 12oz cans at less than a dollar, I might walk in and take a look. I've been to my local Harbor Freight once. Once is enough for me. Let that be as it may. You'll need to go see for yourself.

Have to agree with RamRod... they don't call it "Harbor Fright" for nothing. Single-use tools from China seem to be their specialty.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

While I don't disagree that much of their offering is made in china junk, sometimes you can find a good deal. I've bought several utility knives, a pocket knife and a few power tools there that haven't failed me. It's good for when you need a tool for a specific project and don't want to spend an arm and a leg for something you probably won't ever use again (for it's intended purpose anyway).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post

I'm gonna try to get to my local Harbor Freight this week to see this one. It'll hold the few things I have.
    There is nothing wrong with Harbor Freight. They have some deals that can't be beat for certain tools. The problem with that safe is that it is not that safe. It also has no humidity control. I have a portable plasma cutter that could split that safe in two in 3-4 minutes.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Hide it well because it could make a handy 'carrying case' out of your home...until the BGs can use some better tools to get to the 'goodies'.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Hide it well because it could make a handy 'carrying case' out of your home...until the BGs can use some better tools to get to the 'goodies'.OMO
    Just to play devils advocate, the description does say that the casters can be removed for "permanent" installation. I agree that is looks a bit flimsy, but it might be a reasonable choice for apartment dwellers that can't have a real safe due to weight. I might think of this as a lock-box rather than as a safe. As the OP said it might do for some one that just needs to quickly secure 2-3 handguns.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

To each his own, I say. I am one of those who doesn't "normally" buy Chinese junk, but one of these is better than none at all. In fact, I have two of the smaller models, that I've used for many years, with good success. Knock on wood, I've never been burglarized, and they probably would have been carried off, should that happen. I do have one anchored to the wall with large flat metal straps, which would be very difficult to remove, without a lot of effort,and noise, which a burglar doesn't normally want to create a commotion. Both these have served me well over the years, till I bought a much larger safe.

Seems like a descent setup. Let us know how you like it. I may get one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post

Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I have a portable plasma cutter that could split that safe in two in 3-4 minutes.
    Your plasma cutter could probably make quick work out of my 1300 lb Liberty as well, but I shoot muzzle loaders and "store" 6, 1lb cans of black powder against the exposed surfaces, might go bad for someone.

Bolt to floor, insert BP for storage along with a couple handguns, no problem. As my main safe is in the basement this would serve for storage of quick access weapons while gone for short periods.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Your plasma cutter could probably make quick work out of my 1300 lb Liberty as well, but I shoot muzzle loaders and "store" 6, 1lb cans of black powder against the exposed surfaces, might go bad for someone.

Bolt to floor, insert BP for storage along with a couple handguns, no problem. As my main safe is in the basement this would serve for storage of quick access weapons while gone for short periods.
    Surprisingly not. Plasma cutters are controllable and quite accurate but mine is not rated for heavy plate carbon steel such as your safe.

As you know, Black power burns, it does not explode. Inside a safe there is little or no oxygen needed to ignite even a match.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Surprisingly not. Plasma cutters are controllable and quite accurate but mine is not rated for heavy plate carbon steel such as your safe.

As you know, Black power burns, it does not explode. Inside a safe there is little or no oxygen needed to ignite even a match.
    Me thinks ya might be wrong about the properties of black powder---------------. Smokeless powder is "extremely flammable", black powder is "explosive". And,--------unless you create a vacuum inside your safe, there's plenty of oxygen to fuel an explosion. Anyone plasma or acetylene cutting into a safe in the proximity of a can of black powder is going to have a very bad day!
    Stay Safe!
    str1

Quote Originally Posted by shooter1 View Post
    Me thinks ya might be wrong about the properties of black powder---------------. Smokeless powder is "extremely flammable", black powder is "explosive". And,--------unless you create a vacuum inside your safe, there's plenty of oxygen to fuel an explosion. Anyone plasma or acetylene cutting into a safe in the proximity of a can of black powder is going to have a very bad day!
    Stay Safe!
    str1
    Kinda off what the OP was saying but good point also the portable one does not have the cutting ability to go through much more than 1/4 typicly the biggest standard model is typicly 1/2 inch and not very portable you can get bigger ones but just sayin no the portable will not get through a liberty safe maybe if you had hours of time and knew exactly where to gun but doutfull
    IGNORANT=NEEDS EDUCATION

STUPID=WELL YOU CANT FIX THEM ALL

VIP Member
    Hmmm... Very thoughtful of them to put wheels on it, so the BG doesn't hurt his back wheeling it out of your house.

'Sorry. 'Just trying to watch out for ya.

No electronic locks for me, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links