What's in your Bug Out Bag?

This is a discussion on What's in your Bug Out Bag? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm wondering how much ammo people keep in their bug out bag. I keep 550 rds of .22 and 50 rds of .45. It gets ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's in your Bug Out Bag?

What's in your Bug Out Bag?

I'm wondering how much ammo people keep in their bug out bag. I keep 550 rds of .22 and 50 rds of .45. It gets heavy quick!

BTW, probably one of the most thoughtful blogs out there on bug out bags is:

http://www.bugoutbagquest.blogspot.com/

I don't know this guy personally, but he used to have a mailing list that I subscribed to and now he has a blog, and he loves to talk bug out bags!

2. Remove Ads

Never thought about this before.Here is my brand new BOB plan.Empty my safe full of ammo,which is approximately 100 rounds or .410 shotshell,100 rounds of 3" 12 gauge,and 500 rounds of .45 auto.Throw all my knives in and my 1911 and Judge is there not on my belt,and grab my Benelli M2.

Im afraid to weigh it,its heavy.

I bought 3 of the pre stocked BOB off the internet for my family and me. I've made a few changes to some of the contents for our specific needs.

I have room for a few of our handguns and a few loaded mags for each. Thats about all the weight I want to have to carry.

If we're in our vehicle, thats when I plan to bring some more weighty stuff.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Simple, about 90 rounds and three mags for the AR, a box of 9mm and 3 mags for the glock. Food, Fire producing items, a tarp, GI can opener, water purification items, antibiotics, sutures, skinning and caping knives with sharpener, and extra clothing. This is a grab and go bag meant to be carried on your back in the event you have to walk. I have a more extensive kit made for vehicle transportation.

Most people put to much emphasis on weaponry, and forget about the need to substain themselves over a potentialy long period of time.

I carry a 50 round MTM box and three Glock 19 magazines, all color coded. I carry 3 AR magazines, all 55gr to work in any twist barrel. I have a spare parts bag and a couple simple tools to work on AR or Glock problems. A good knife, basic first aid, a good Surefire light, a battery holder and some other goodies from Countycomm.com, and all the zipper pulls, shoulder strap, and lanyards are 550 cord.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

B.O.B.? Short of a nuke, or chemical/bio, I'm not leaving. Gridlock on the freeways will create many more problems than one will be ready for...OMO
    Our house is stocked, backed up with armed neighbors, and all the necessities to 'hole up' for quite a while.
    Yep, , we're staying put.

If I had to leave, or when I travel long distance by car, I take 2-3 pistolas (two in the same caliber) and a few hundred round in the trunk.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; November 2nd, 2010 at 06:32 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm with retsupt99 Bugging IN. The bag I have in the car has 3 day rations for 3 and 3 happy sticks for my G-19 in the car if caught out on the road. As a Native I know how to get home and can do that. Anything more than that and all will be in really bad shape. Since I work at home, my risk is low and my location is away from the big city and the neighborhood is one way in and out and easily blocked with two vehicles. Looking not like a good target goes a long way to the BG's going somewhere else.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Administrator
    Try to stay on topic to the original post Ammo/How Much/Bug Out Bag.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    50 rds. each of .40 and .45.

I have a "3 day pack" with the necessities to hoof it. I have separated the contents in to "kits", if you will. I have a tool kit, a fire kit, a hygiene kit, and a comfort kit. They are all stored for modularity, and ease of movement. I have a Maxpedition Sitka that I EDC when not at work for the everday items. I have some of the kits form my BOB in there. Should the need arise my BOB rides in my vehicle. I plan on carrying my P228 in 9mm and my AR. Those being US military rounds, they would be the easiest to find after the apocalypse. LOL I would also take my Beloved Glock 23, and my wife her G26. That should be more than enough, in Handgun. My AR will have Three 30 rounders and two 20 rounders. I will have some no perishable but high calorie, high protein food. I have decided to only carry minmal water, and focus more on purification products due to weight.

I will also have a pair of lightly insulated waterproof boots/shoes, and some extra clothing. For warmth instead of heavy clothing I will go for layers, like a packable waterproof jacket, and a heavy fleece liner, simliar to a 3 in 1 parka, and a couple pair of fresh socks. A hat and good gloves wil round out the clothing. The warm weather packing will follow a similar theme. IMO modularity and supplies that have mulitple uses are key.

If I have the option to go by Vehicle, I will have a supply tote in back to supplement this all.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'll be bugging in. I keep a get home bag in the truck with AR mags, MREs, survival water packs, medical supplies, space blankets, socks, etc.
    I carry a truck AR pretty much every day, but it comes in @ night
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member
    In my BOB I carry my G36 with 5 magazines... 31 rounds total.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

1 box ranger 9mm,3 extra loaded mags for my g19,.22 coversion kit,100 rounds of .22,and varous other supplies. sj

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    IF I have to bug out, the bag is ready with 50 .45 ACP and 50 .357 mag. The rest is on my tac vest (8 mags for my 1911's, 10 10-round stripper clips for my SKS) My wife will wear her .357 and speed strips and I carry the rest (she's disabled and can't hobble the trail). The plan is to bug IN if at all possible. Otherwise, we bug out on back roads to our group.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Current set up includes 3 hi-cap mags for the glock, 2 mags for the pocket pistol, and 3 mags for the rifle. In the bottom of the pack I have 200 rounds of 9mm. Plus I normally keep 2-3 boxes of 3 different calibers each in my truck.

I'd like to have 6 full rifle mags in a vest, plus the one on the buttstock and one inserted in the well. Same as my combat set-up. That would be almost 240 rds on my person. Plus the three mags for the sidearm.

But like some others have said, that's only in a last-ditch worst-possible case scenario and the perimeter is being overrun. Otherwise, I'm staying put.
    NRA Certified Instructor (6 years)
    Former LEO/DOD Contractor
    Active Duty Marine (Martial Arts Instructor)
    Glock 17, Kel-Tec P-11, S&W Model 60, various rifles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links