Olight M21 500 lumens!

Olight M21 500 lumens!

This is a discussion on Olight M21 500 lumens! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just ordered this handy light for edc. I'll post a review when I receive it, can't wait! This will be my first nice torch....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olight M21 500 lumens!

Cool Olight M21 500 lumens!

Just ordered this handy light for edc.

I'll post a review when I receive it, can't wait! This will be my first nice torch.

Let us know what you think of it. We were at a gunshow in Denver this morning and got to see/hold one of those! Nice light! Went home and shopped online-now can't decide between the Olight M20S or the Fenix TK15....
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

500 lumens, from battery setups in which most other competing lights are only reporting a half, third or less that output. Can anyone confirm proper, industry-standard measurement on these lights, so that the "lumens" claim from one company can actually be compared with the "lumens" claim from another? Or, is it that the newer bulbs and circuitry is 2-3x better than that of lights from just a year or two ago? (OLight, another Chinese company I've never heard of until the past couple of weeks.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Made in China? The 500 lumens probably give off 'lead' somehow...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's some serious illumination - anything above 250 lumens is crazy bright. The technology in this area is moving very quickly, isn't it. Just as important as candlepower are the other features of a tac-lite, like battery type, runtime, switch type, mode options, lens shroud, etc.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have the M20 (first style) and M20S. The M20S is IIFC is 320 lumens. I would say that 500 for the M21 should be pretty close. Keep in mind that 500 lumens would be produced by the LED, NOT necessarily coming out the front of the bezel. Olight IMO is better quality than Fenix.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

VIP Member
    If it actually does shine at 500L I can’t imagine it does for very long. I have a SureFire Back-Up and it’s bright, but it chews up the battery fairly quick. It levels off to ‘sorta bright’ after a few days of casual use. I have the SF Titan TA1 on my wish list but at 239, it may be a while before I click ‘purchase’.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Keep in mind that 500 lumens would be produced by the LED, NOT necessarily coming out the front of the bezel.
    IIRC, a Lumen is supposed to be a standardized measure of how much light as actually falling upon the destination, "lit" object. It's the sum of the amount of light coming from the bulb that is effectively directed to the destination object. Which is why I asked where OLight's "lumens" number came from, whether they're using it as it should be or whether they're engaging in "new math" that's more related to the bulb's emissions instead of the resulting applied light falling on the object.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    IIRC, a Lumen is supposed to be a standardized measure of how much light as actually falling upon the destination, "lit" object. It's the sum of the amount of light coming from the bulb that is effectively directed to the destination object. Which is why I asked where OLight's "lumens" number came from, whether they're using it as it should be or whether they're engaging in "new math" that's more related to the bulb's emissions instead of the resulting applied light falling on the object.
    A lumen is a measure of light that an object produces. A light bulb is a good example. I'm sure the LED produces 500 lumens, but much is lost in the reflection and redirection of light and even the glass lens takes a toll. Many manufactures tend to exaggerate their specs. Olight has proven to be fairly accurate however.

Runtime? Without looking at the specs, I'd say at least an hour wouldn't be unreasonable.

I'm by no means an expert, but I'm sure you can find the answers to all your questions at the candlepower forums.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Ir could be getting lost in translation. Maybe 500 lumens in China is only 200 in the US.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Moderator
    I carry the PD 30 which is 220 lumens and its a bright little sucker. It puts out more light than the old standard 3 cell maglight in a much smaller package.
    I'd like to see one about the same size in a 500 lumen light, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I carry the PD 30 which is 220 lumens and its a bright little sucker. It puts out more light than the old standard 3 cell maglight in a much smaller package.
    I'd like to see one about the same size in a 500 lumen light, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. If it that bright and about the same price as the PD 30 than i'll pick one up too.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

LED lighting has indeed taken a kind of exponential rate of progress in the past few years. In a few more years we should be able to replace our light bulbs with LED bulbs (cost effectively, right now they're kind of expensive).

Some cars even have LED headlights!

I EDC a NiteCore smart pd ex10, which is a stupid bright light about the size of a shot shell. My brother gave me an Olight M30 Triton 700 lumen light, and it will let you read mail through a security envelope. In 700 lumen strobe mode in daylight, it has proven able to blind and disorient all of the service department staff in my dealership. It is so bright, that if you try to use it as a flashlight under a car, it reflects so much light back, it hurts your vision. I would consider it a less than leathal weapon.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    A lumen is a measure of light that an object produces. ....
    Correct. The amount of light in a given area is illuminance. Two measurements of illuminance are footcandles (lumens/sq foot) and lux (lumens/sq meter).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links