Option for gun safe/metal locking cabinet for home storage?

This is a discussion on Option for gun safe/metal locking cabinet for home storage? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My neightbor got robbed last week, literally next door to me. I currently have all my rifles and handguns (10 + 7) stored in and ...

Thread: Option for gun safe/metal locking cabinet for home storage?

Option for gun safe/metal locking cabinet for home storage?

My neightbor got robbed last week, literally next door to me. I currently have all my rifles and handguns (10 + 7) stored in and beside an old glass-doored wooden cabinet...perfect for books, and lousy for any kind of secured/locking storage.

I don't have much money and want something I can lock to store my weapons. Expensive safes are out of consideration. I was thinking about a locking metal gun cabinet that I could bolt from the inside directly to the wall studs, maybe inside a closet or the garage...my concern about the garage is the heat in the summer months, and excessive cold in the winter...it's not heated or cooled.

Anyone out there have any suggestions, inlcuding where to buy one? I think K-mart has a really cheap version, but if you can break it open with a screwdriver and a hammer, I'm not interested!

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Remove Ads

You want a cheap safe, or do you want to replace all your guns?

Maybe this will help...
    http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Those cabinets are really only good to keep kids out, not really a theft prevention option (although better than a glass case). There are tool boxes that work much better if you can mount them.

Your other option is to "hide" them creatively. Alter a piece of furniture than enables you to hide your weapons in it. Build a compartment in your floor with access. Put a fake vent in the ceiling that is really an access point to hide firearms in your ceiling. Consider a compartment between studs in the back of a closet or behind a wall mounted mirror. Look for creative ways to mount the mirror to give you access without looking strange. There's more than one way to secure your firearms. Lock them up in "fort knox" or divert attention to where no one even knows they're there.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I don't know what your "not much money" budget is, but here's a suggestion: Call your local moving and storage companies, and see if they have any used safes. Safes are heavy, and since movers charge by weight and distance, a lot of safes (like pianos) get left behind when people move their households and businesses. One of my hunting buddies back in CT got a huge safe from a moving and storage company for a hundred bucks and the cost of local delivery - about $200 total. This thing is huge - he has it in his garage - with double doors and roll-out drawers, most likely intended for large document storage. No matter, it holds his impressive collection nicely nad quite securely..
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

What do you think about Wal Mart? IMO...they still have good deals on the Sentry safes, dial or electronic. For around $450 should get you into something that will be very secure, bolted to the floor and/or wall, and leave you room for expansion. There's also EBay overstock from the manufacturers delivered to the curb. I've seen some auctions go for very reasonable prices on these deals. Quite a few of my local stores also carry gun safes, including Tractor Supply. IMO...this is the time of year to be looking and figuring out what you want/need. The time to buy at discount prices is after Christmas.......up to 40-50% off actually. Plenty of places around here will still do lay-away (at full price of course). The end of year closeouts or discounts almost always demand cash and carry (possible delivery). Within your budget, and be willing to hit the streets day after Christmas or between Christmas and New Year, your budget could get you into something better for the same price now. Better features, or a fire rating. Several ways to go about it, and be happy with what you get better than an emergency buy for something affordable right now. IMO.......you could get an ADT security system free install and $49 per month for peace of mind FYI. I'm thinking more of save up your funds between now and the end of the year and get something better than what you're contemplating now. Down the road, you'll be better off, and more satisfied with your investment. Wal Mart does a volume business, and I think they will even ship to your (curb side) for very little extra if you order online. You have plenty of options, and I'd just like you to not jump to conclusions or an immediate response just because your neighbor got robbed this past week. Other options are home lighting (motion sensing), a barking dog (which can be found at your local shelter......add food expense here), and being more aware and more creative caching your firearms....and being ready for any intrusion while you're there to protect your assets. You don't exactly need to loose sleep over it. Maybe you should talk to your neighbors and socialize a bit....to the point you all create your own neighborhood watch program (which wouldn't be a bad thing for sure). Networking after an ordeal like this is almost automatic. Somebody seems to always be home in the neighborhood, and plenty of folks like nothing better than to call someone and talk about what happened, or what's going on at the moment. Neighborhood is a relative term for me. I like best living in a rural environment. Everything has it's pros and cons. Your environment should always be used to your best advantage, and we make up for any disadvantages by using our environment and determining our tactics. Out here, dialing 911 could mean a 30 minute response easily if a county sheriff isn't close. I'd say meet some of your neighbors this weekend. A little bit of time away from your normal routine will be good. Still plenty of good folks in this world (I try to find this every day and that's what keeps me going). If I lived across the street from you, we'd take care of each other, and I'd help you unload your safe and help you haul it in and install it. Your neighbor that got robbed recently should be more than happy to converse with you about future security of the neighborhood. Extend a hand, and a conversation. This will get things started long before you get that safe. The internet can only go so far. The personal interaction is far better than anything you'll do online. I'll guarantee it. You have my best wishes and advice.

This might work for you too: http://www.lockinggunracks.com

I'd use a lock that is "shrouded" so the shackle can't be easily accessed with bolt cutters. It can also be mounted in a small/cramped area making it even harder to mess with.

Not saying this is going to be better than a quality safe, only that it's a better option than a wood and glass cabinet and a lot less $ if that is holding you back.

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    My neightbor got robbed last week, literally next door to me. I currently have all my rifles and handguns (10 + 7) stored in and beside an old glass-doored wooden cabinet...perfect for books, and lousy for any kind of secured/locking storage.

I don't have much money and want something I can lock to store my weapons. Expensive safes are out of consideration. I was thinking about a locking metal gun cabinet that I could bolt from the inside directly to the wall studs, maybe inside a closet or the garage...my concern about the garage is the heat in the summer months, and excessive cold in the winter...it's not heated or cooled.

Anyone out there have any suggestions, inlcuding where to buy one? I think K-mart has a really cheap version, but if you can break it open with a screwdriver and a hammer, I'm not interested!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Try looking at costco.com. Be patient - I found a sweet Canon safe on there for $250 off with a coupon!

Links