220 Lumens for $30!

This is a discussion on 220 Lumens for $30! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked one of these up at my local gun shop today. The Redline by Nebo is a 220 lumen light with adjustable beam, multi function ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 220 Lumens for $30!

220 Lumens for $30!

Picked one of these up at my local gun shop today. The Redline by Nebo is a 220 lumen light with adjustable beam, multi function / half power / strobe / s.o.s. Weatherproof, "defensive" bezel, aluminum construction. This light seems VERY solid and I can't believe they are selling something of this quality for so cheap! The only thing it doesn't have that I would like is a momentary on pressure switch. Overall an amazing light for 30 bucks! I've owned a lot of lights from companies such as Blackhawk, Surefire, and Fenix, and I can honestly say this feels like a $100-$200 light. I stuck it in my truck and plan on keeping it there for a long time. It even has a magnetic bottom so you can stick it on your car if you need to use the sos function or just have hands free light. If you pick one of these up you won't regret it.

I don't post here often, mostly lurk, but I thought I'd share since I think I found a gem here. This can really save a lot of people a lot of $$. I googled this light on glocktalk and defensivecarry and didn't see any other posts about it, but sorry if it's been posted before.

http://www.copstopshop.com/Nebo-Redl...red-Flashlight

EDIT: Looks like if you google "Redline by Nebo" you can get it for 25-30 bucks. The link above is just the first one I saw.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Wow, that seems like almost exactly what I'm looking for... only thing is it seems to be missing a rail mount and remote switch....
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Very nice, im gonna get a couple of those

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3579wt_1254

I've been debating on this 220 Lumen. It's half the price, can be mounted, but doesn't offer an adjustable beam. The manufacturer (in China unfortunately) also has much more powerful lights for just a little more $.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention it runs on 3 AAA batteries. So no more buying those expensive oddball ones! Runtime is pretty impressive also.

I just checked it out on amazon. Only 4 reviews, but all very good. Also, if you check the alternate sellers, it's 24.99 with shipping from one of them.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Think I may have seen this at my local Ace hardware, didn't catch the price may need to go investigate.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Be careful buying some of these lights. A lot of them are vastly over-rated. There are two major measurements of lumens - one is at the emitter and the other is "out the front" or "OTF". It's the OTF lumens that really count. Plus, there is no truly standardized testing AFAIK, so measurements of the same light will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The old adage - "you get what you pay for" - holds true in flashlights. I used to buy a lot of the $10, $20 and $30 lights, until I tried a few higher end lights. The difference was very illuminating!

Full size image here: http://csgbenefits.org/all-small-lights.jpg

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I'm not sure if this one measured lumens at the emitter or OTF. All I know is that it is significantly brighter than my 120 lumen Blackhawk light that I paid $160.00 for.

Did some quick internet research and it seems as if you take emitter lumens x 0.07 you get in the ballpark of the actual OTF lumens. So even if the 220 is emitter lumens, it's still putting about 154 lumens OTF. Not bad for a $30 light with tons of other great features and solid construction.

Quote Originally Posted by MSteve View Post
    I just checked it out on amazon. Only 4 reviews, but all very good. Also, if you check the alternate sellers, it's 24.99 with shipping from one of them.
    I went ahead and ordered one of these figuring that, at 24.99, even if it sucked I could throw it in the glovebox of the car or something.
    Got it in yesterday.
    I have a SureFire U2 Ultra ($250/100 lumen) that I used to compare it to. I don't know about "OTF lumens," but saying the cheap one is twice as bright is about right. It's fairly short and stout. IMO the "defensive" bezel is more cosmetic than practical due to the overall size/weight, but again, my opinion. Overall the light seems very sturdy. However, it seems slightly loose when you adjust the beam to its narrowest setting. I don't think it would come off or anything, but there is a little more play in it than when it is adjusted (tightened down) for the widest beam setting. I really, really like the fact that it takes 3 AAA that I can buy in bulk at Costco and keep on hand instead of the 123A batteries that are expensive and harder to find in bulk.
    Bottom line, I don't think anyone would be dissapointed in this light, at this price.
    I may update on durability once it gets some use.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_3579wt_1254

I've been debating on this 220 Lumen. It's half the price, can be mounted, but doesn't offer an adjustable beam. The manufacturer (in China unfortunately) also has much more powerful lights for just a little more $.
    I have a few Ultrafire lights. They aren't bad lights for the money but their output is way overrated. Using the multiple modes tends to be more of a pain than any actual benefit. When you add shipping charges, your probably better of going with any of the better known brands for not much more money. I actually prefer my old xenon G2 over them. For $40ish and sometimes a bit less, Streamlight Polytacs are nice LED lights that shoot a better beam than the Ultrafires I have but you won't get to play with any strobe and SOS features.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Be careful buying some of these lights. A lot of them are vastly over-rated. There are two major measurements of lumens - one is at the emitter and the other is "out the front" or "OTF". It's the OTF lumens that really count. Plus, there is no truly standardized testing AFAIK, so measurements of the same light will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The old adage - "you get what you pay for" - holds true in flashlights. I used to buy a lot of the $10, $20 and $30 lights, until I tried a few higher end lights. The difference was very illuminating!

-
    i'l second chevy's post, do ur self a favor, get the G2X for 55 dollars, well worth the money, and much more reliable than NEBO's flashlights...

Thanks for the heads up! I am gonna get some, they will make good gifts...
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Saw the NEBO Redline at my local ACE this weekend. I hope the wife picked up on my enthusiastic "hint"...
    Maybe I'll be finding this in my stocking come Christmas morning.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

I went ahead and ordered one also, and I got in the mail Friday. My first impression is good. It seems like it has solid construction, and the light ouput is definitely high. I did an outdoor comparison with my Surefire G2 LED, and the NEBO was indeed brighter. My G2 tends to have more throw and be less of a spot light, but the NEBO is adjustable, so it can serve both purposes. Some additional thoughts:

1) It is made in China - durability could be an issue, but I don't know yet.
    2) It has a red semi-clear plastic ring just below the adjustable head that acts as a small glowing area light if you were to stand the light up (with lens down) on a table to view a map - bright enough only to see what's immediately around it. The bezel acts as a light diffuser to provide a little more light to escape for map viewing.
    3) There are 4 functions: High output, low output, S.O.S. pattern, and strobe. You have to do a solid push of the click button to turn it on, then a half push to cycle through the other functions. The strobe effect is the last of the functions, so you couldn't access it quickly if you were going to try to use it tactically.
    4) The battery cartridge is plastic, so it is likely the weak link in this otherwise solid light (anyone remember the 2 pack of Element brand lights from Sam's Club?)
    5) It's bright, it's affordable, and it's got features you won't find on many other lights. I love bright and sturdy flashlights, and I am happy with my purchase so far.

Thanks Unkind213!
    Last edited by SigHawk; December 6th, 2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Thanking the OP
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links