Laser Sights Pricing

Laser Sights Pricing

This is a discussion on Laser Sights Pricing within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are all lasers such as Crimson trace (to name one brand) going to be in the $200+ price range? My father is looking to make ...

Laser Sights Pricing

Are all lasers such as Crimson trace (to name one brand) going to be in the $200+ price range? My father is looking to make his first purchase and this was one thing that he requested, I told him to look for a gun without the laser factory added and that it was something we could add on at a later date if he felt it was still necessary (essentially I want him to focus on the comfortably of the firearm before focusing on the bells and whistles).

Can anyone recommend a well built, solid, and reliable laser in the $100-$200 price range?

This firearm will mostly be for home defense so think like a full size Glock or XD.

Thanks.

My XD40 SC has a Laser Max in it, but it was a lot more than $200. Good luck on your hunt.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Armalaser has a universal laser unit that attaches to a rail, if you chose a gun with one. http://www.armalaser.com/STINGRAY SR1 LASER

You can find some good prices on Crimson Trace grips from Shooters Resource. Shooters-Resource
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Ex Member
    I have 3 sets of CT grips. I bought ALL 3 used. Check e-bay, classifieds, and put the word out. I saved $50-$75 on each of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Armalaser has a universal laser unit that attaches to a rail, if you chose a gun with one. http://www.armalaser.com/STINGRAY SR1 LASER

You can find some good prices on Crimson Trace grips from Shooters Resource. Shooters-Resource
    Have you or anyone you know used ArmaLaser? I'm curious as to the quality as I'm unfamiliar with them.

Thanks for the links.

I've never owned an ArmaLaser or LaserMax simply for the fact that I want all of my laser to have instinctual activation. The Crimson Trace lasers come on by simply gripping the gun.

eBay has several sellers that have virtually any Crimson Trace model you are looking for. I've paid between $150 and $250 for brand new ones, depending on whether it was a LaserGrip or a LaserGuard.

IMO........yes.....the CTC LaserGrips can be found under $200 shipping included. EBay IS a good resource actually. That's where I got the LaserGrips for my wife's G26. I won't go into details here....but she likes the laser so that's what I got her for her carry. Personally, when I'm off the clock...and in strictly home defense mode....I'll occasionally use one of my (old and working perfectly) Streamlight M-3 or M-6 QD rail mounts. Carry and HD are things I think of separately and in their own environments. If I were to go one for all, and all for one and not worry about specific holsters, I'd go with the LaserMax internal system and not worry about external things. As far as lasers go, they do have their uses. Personally, I like a constant beam with a momentary switch as opposed to a pulsating laser. Lots of less expensive (cheap) attachable lasers on the market these days, but they won't keep their zero and they won't fit into a holster on the pistol. Good lasers still demand a good price, but they are generally backed up by a good warranty as well. The cheaper ones will be good for the first shot after zeroing in. After that...it's a ball game.
    I'm guessing since you are talking about your dad, that he's up in years. A laser is good for those elders we respect and we want to have an edge when we can't be there for them. IMO.........it's going to depend on what type of firearm your dad will choose. After that, it's ether a carry AND HD gun....or a carry gun and a HD gun. Revolver or pistol? The CTC lasergrips are made for many makes and models. The only thing I don't like about them is you can't turn them on and off. Once you take a grip...it's there. The laser is a line that can be followed back to the shooter. It will also blind someone for a longer period of time than the brightest of white lights when focused on the eyes.
    HD alone.....I'd go with the momentary or constant switch Streamlight attachable light/laser/combo. It's what I've relied on for many years personally. Put it on at night, and take it off when it's light, or leave it on until you have to carry and holster it.
    IMO...someone you care for (your dad) deserves the best. When you're the one paying, make sure you're getting the best for him. You'll have more peace of mind, and he'll be set. We help our loved ones any way we can because we can't always be there when they need us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The CTC lasergrips are made for many makes and models. The only thing I don't like about them is you can't turn them on and off. Once you take a grip...it's there. The laser is a line that can be followed back to the shooter.
    - There are a few LaserGrip models that have an On/Off switch. The LaserGrip on my S&W 638 has a switch located on the bottom. You can also momentarily release pressure on the button to turn off the laser. It takes a few minutes of practice and is very easy to do. Cornered Cat has some good advice on this.

http://corneredcat.com/Gear/lasergood.aspx

"Lasers give away your position." Not if you have properly trained to use them. With CT grips, for instance, it is very simple to train yourself to relax your grip when the gun isn't on target, thus shutting off the light. Other brands have levers or buttons that must be flicked on; in either case, the proper moment to activate the laser is not until you are sure of your target and are raising the gun to fire.

Something to consider...

Lasers that only require a squeeze during your natural grip such as the Crimson Trace Grips, Crimson Trace Laserguard, and the ArmaLasers with trigger finger proximity switches are the best choice for civilian self-defense purposes.

The type of laser that has a slide switch or button that must be turned on by a separate deliberate function may be OK for law enforcement and combat situations where you may have time to "light up" before you act, but for civilian self-defense purposes it can be a big detriment. The turn on step can lose you valuable time and can also cause you to flub the draw.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSOrator View Post
    Are all lasers such as Crimson trace (to name one brand) going to be in the $200+ price range? My father is looking to make his first purchase and this was one thing that he requested, I told him to look for a gun without the laser factory added and that it was something we could add on at a later date if he felt it was still necessary (essentially I want him to focus on the comfortably of the firearm before focusing on the bells and whistles).

Can anyone recommend a well built, solid, and reliable laser in the $100-$200 price range?

This firearm will mostly be for home defense so think like a full size Glock or XD.

Thanks.
    Factory installed laser sights will increase the price of a pistol or revolver by approximately $200.00. Crimson Trace grips will depend some on the gun that it fits but will generally be closer to $300.00 bought separately. LaserMax will cost $350.00 to $400.00.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Links