Flashlight: How much run-time versus how much output. Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Flashlight: How much run-time versus how much output. Thoughts? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen the light regarding the newer LED flashlights and am simply amazed by how much light can be harnessed by many of these ...

Thread: Flashlight: How much run-time versus how much output. Thoughts?

Flashlight: How much run-time versus how much output. Thoughts?

I have seen the light regarding the newer LED flashlights and am simply amazed by how much light can be harnessed by many of these new, high-output LED modules. Cree MC-E quad, Luminus SST-50, Cree XP-G R5 and others ... simply amazing. Of course, the cost of 500 lumens and more is run-time.

What do you feel is the "right" balance of run-time to light thrown, in a mixed-purpose flashlight for defensive/utility purposes, one that you carry every day? How much and why?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

After buying more flashlights in the last few months than I have in my lifetime, I've come to the conclusion that I don't need more than 200 lumens for my purposes. That's very bright and I've had no problems finding my way through the woods on a hunting trip. I think that ~1 hour at maximum brightness works in almost any situation. It's also very nice to have a very bright "High" mode that runs for several hours. Some thoughts my favorite lights.

Preon 1 - This is my EDC carry. It's the same diameter as a Bic pen and it's less than half the length. I simply clip it to my pocket ALL of the time.

Low: 1.8 OTF Lumens, 23 hours
    Medium: 8.5 OTF Lumens, 6 hours
    High: 70 OTF Lumens, 0.8 hours

Quark 123 - This is the tactical light I usually carry. I have the regular version that allows you to cycle through multiple modes. It's extremely compact and the knurling is very nice. One of my favorite lights.

Moonlight: 0.2 OTF lumens for 15 days, (1ma)
    Low: 4 OTF lumens for 2.5 days (10ma)
    Medium: 22 OTF lumens for 13 hours (50ma)
    High: 85 OTF lumens for 2.7 hours (250ma)
    Max: 205 OTF lumens for 0.8 hours (700ma)
    Strobe: 205 OTF lumens for 1.6 hours

Lately I've seen lights that give off 200 to 300 lumen for up to 2 hours on highest setting. Thats with CR123's.

I've found in my every day use, I usually have it set on one of the lower settings (utility purpose) so believe it or not, I'm still on the original CR 123 that came with the light.

For around $50, thats hard to beat.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I was willing to spend the $$ for the SureFire brand and this seems like the perfect light for me... http://www.surefire.com/L4-LumaMax
    120 lumens for a couple of hours...certainly bright enough.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For the time being, the only CR 123 light I've got is mounted to the Mossberg. The other various tac-lights all run on regular alkaline batteries. That's pretty important to me, being able to get batteries anywhere. If I go for the higher output for an EDC or general utility light, then I'll need to invest in some kind of rechargeable system.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Here is the light I just bought. So far it is beating the pants off my Surefire 6P! I love the fact that you can program two light modes. I have my 1st go to as a strobe the other set on med.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=2502
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

As of this time last year I began "upgrading" my 3 Surefire incan lights to LED. Unfortunately, I didn't have the spare change laying around to spend hundreds of dollars actually upgrading the Surefires, so I began looking at other brands. I've since settled on 3 Fenix lights. The P1D Q5 Premium. It runs on a single CR123 battery, and puts out 180 lumens @ 1hr, 95 lumens @ 3hrs, and 16lumens @ 21hrs. I also picked up an E01 for my keychain which provides 10 lumens for 21 hours, and most recently a couple of E05' which provide 30 lumens for 5hrs on a lithium battery. These Fenix lights are not "tactical", but they are very functional for EDC. All very small and easy to carry. The Surefires still serve HD duty, but the Fenix are my everyday carry lights. I really like having a light that you can use alot and for long periods of time without worrying about running the battery down quickly

Of the lights I mentioned above, I really like the runtime versus amount of light put out by the P1D Q5. 21 hrs of very usable light for most purposes, but also capable of blinding bright light if needed. It can also be held in such a way as to squeeze it compressing the head and providing momentary on/off if need be. It's so small that you don't notice it in your pocket.
    \"What you\'ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response where you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul.\" My adoring wife, at least once a day.

Links