.22 Conv Kit for Rock River...

This is a discussion on .22 Conv Kit for Rock River... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep looking at these new "tactical 22's" all over the place. Mossberg just came out with their version, and my local store is going ...

I keep looking at these new "tactical 22's" all over the place. Mossberg just came out with their version, and my local store is going to be selling it for $199. That's a good price, but I'm looking for something that has an identical resemblance to my Rock River AR-15. The only 22 that does is the M&P 15-22. It has the same safety lever, mag release etc. And if I'm going to practice, I want the identical set up that I'm going to be using. Only thing is, the M&P is around $400, I just can't justify the cost.

So what about these CMMG .22 conversion kits? I see midway has them varying from $150-$199. Does anyone use a .22 conv kit on the Rock River AR? What's the best for this rifle? Or any AR?

Thanks
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

I was thinking about getting a conversion kit myself, but after talking to a guy at the range who had one, I decided not to. I think he had the CMMG, but I am not sure. Reliability was a big issue, and it was very picky on ammo and had to be fined tuned to work somewhat reliably.

I have a Ceiner that I've been using since the late 90's. It needs cleaned and lubed every few 100 rounds, but it's reliable until it gums up. Ceiner magazines are expensive, but the Black Dog magazines work fine. I hear that shooting too much lead can foul the gas port and such, so I only use copper plated and clean well before shooting .223.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Moderator
    The Ceiner kit works well, but my experience is that it needs to be run with a good amount of lubrication. I've shot 300-400 rounds through mine without cleaning. It is a bit ammo finicky - mine definitely prefers mini-mags or stingers. I've had issues with the generic bulk-pack stuff.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I spoke to some people about this as well, the best advice they had for me was to get an actually dedicated 22lr upper. They can get me the CMMG for $389.....
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Links