Dog attacked me and wife - Page 2

Dog attacked me and wife

This is a discussion on Dog attacked me and wife within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If it has happened to you it has probably happened to others too. The mailman, kids and others. It is good that you called PD ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog attacked me and wife

VIP Member
    If it has happened to you it has probably happened to others too. The mailman, kids and others. It is good that you called PD to put a stop to it. I am a dog lover. I hold myself responsible for my dog and think all dog owners should do the same. Dogs don't get loose if they are in a yard that is properly fenced.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Good job, glad you're both ok. It has been my experience that dogs are cognizant of velocity and they do not like things of significant velocity swinging near their face.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    What was the point of that? Its always possible that dogs have escaped owners restraints. Yelling at the owner, who admitted that the loose dog was unintentional, doesn't seem to do any good. Of course, I'm sure you have your reasons. I'm seriously not trying to be difficult. I apologize.

I had a dog run up on me when I was delivering pizza. It was a huge, dark German Shepard. In its lunge toward me, it died by my defensive actions. I explained to the customer/dog owner what happened, and I left. I immediately went to my manager, explained, and advised her to call the police and report this. The dog's owner came to me later that night and apologized and assured me that he would have done the same thing.

So, the loose, charging dog was unintentional, but the owner was probably a good person. Accidents do happen.
    When I say "Yelled at the guy" - it wasn't an angry "I'll kick your butt" yell - more of just trying to get his attention to talk about it & when he ignored me, went inside and closed his door - that's when I called the local PD. I'm not a trouble maker by any means but I don't like to leave issues unresolved.
    For God, Family and Country!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    When I say "Yelled at the guy" - it wasn't an angry "I'll kick your butt" yell - more of just trying to get his attention to talk about it & when he ignored me, went inside and closed his door - that's when I called the local PD. I'm not a trouble maker by any means but I don't like to leave issues unresolved.
    "Walk softly and carry a big stick" In your case, a gun and a cane.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I am glad noone was bitten or hurt. Very good composure.

First off, I'm very happy to hear that you and your wife were unharmed. Your wife no doubt helped by blinding the dog with her flashlight! I'm also glad you had a stout cane to successfully thwart the attack. Thanks for posting that encounter!

Most people have no idea how much of an animal lover I am. Especially for dogs!!! And I will say that dogs can be your worst friggon nightmare. Why else would the police, security forces and military use them, and have used them for centuries. I encounter a lot of dogs of all temperaments in 30 years of EMS and usually don't have much of a problem with 90% of them. Almost without exception the bad ones have owners who need to be shot right along with the dog.

That said, I have seen and worked on many dog injuries over the years as well. Most are minor nips from a family pet on a child which required a stitch or two at best, to some serious and permanent maiming and disfigurement. Dogs can inflict a permanent and crippling injury in one or two bites in a matter of moments and it is not unheard of where the first time a dog attacks ends up being a fatal attack. It happened just a year or two ago in Kansas City where the first time a pit bull attacked a neighbor, it killed the man who was in his mid 60's IIRC. As usual, the owner swore the dog never did anything like that before. He was such a good dog, yada, yada, yada...

I've had more than one dog rush me and I've always been able to get it to back down by facing it squarely and aggressively and commanding it forcefully to stop and go home. However, I would not hesitate to shoot a dog, and I wouldn't give it a second thought if I decided I needed to go that far. I also carry OC spray about 80% of the time routinely, and 100% of the time when going out for a walk in the neighborhood.

Bottom line is, any strange dog you encounter while out and about should be scrutinized closely. Be prepared to act quickly as they can be on you quicker than you would think. And don't hesitate to use lethal force if YOU feel lethal force is warranted.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Glad to hear everyone is ok, nobody hurt or bit!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

I must be the minority here, if I was out with my soon to be new born or fiance was about to be attacked by a dog I wouldn't hesitate to shoot.

However if I was out by myself and a dog attacked me I would have a hard time pulling the trigger. I know how viscous dogs can be but I've never really met one that would make me fear for my life or serious injury...people seem to go into "prey" mode when they have a dog after them and we all know how that usually ends (in a bad way for the human). Now a pack of dogs would be different. A bite on the arm is not endangering the life of any adult male.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    I must be the minority here, if I was out with my soon to be new born or fiance was about to be attacked by a dog I wouldn't hesitate to shoot.

However if I was out by myself and a dog attacked me I would have a hard time pulling the trigger. I know how viscous dogs can be but I've never really met one that would make me fear for my life or serious injury...people seem to go into "prey" mode when they have a dog after them and we all know how that usually ends (in a bad way for the human). Now a pack of dogs would be different. A bite on the arm is not endangering the life of any adult male.
    Tetanus, rabies?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

A bite on the arm is not endangering the life of any adult male.
    A single bite to the arm can, and has caused permanent nerve damage and partial loss of use of that arm. I've seen it happen. By the way, permanent crippling injury is a justification to use lethal force.

Just because you have never personally seen a man lose significant use of their arm before doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Tetanus, rabies?
    Both tetanus and rabies are easily averted by a visit to the Emergency Room or your personal physician in a timely fashion.

A person has 72 hours (3 days) to get a tetanus booster to prevent the development of tetanus.

Rabies vaccination has proven very effective if received within 10 days of the exposure. Which is why in my state, dogs or other animals are quarantined for 10 days observation if a current rabies vaccination record can not be produced for the animal. If the animal doesn't exhibit any signs of rabies within the 10 day quarantine, the person is generally not considered at risk. However, because receiving rabies vaccine sooner rather than later, often times they may start the vaccination series while the animal is still under quarantine.

Alternatively, performing a necropsy (animal autopsy) on the intact brain of the animal is the definitive examination.

So as a reminder to everyone, if you shoot a dog or any animal suspected of rabies, avoid shooting it in the head! They need an intact brain to examine in order to determine if the animal has rabies. It may save yourself from having to undergo treatment for rabies if you were bitten.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Attack dogs are either gonna get sprayed with my Saber Red OC or shot with my .40/.45, period. I am not going to waste time using other weapons unless I don't have those 2 items I mentioned on me. I'd rather protect myself and my loved ones then worry about the legal aftermath later. I shot and killed an attacking dog in self-defense 2 yrs. ago using my H&K USP .40. Although I felt bad about what happened to it, I would not hesitate to do that again to defend against another attacking dog.

I was attacked by a neighbor's German Shepherd when I was 10 y.o. I was on the street, walking to the bus station, when the dog broke the chain he was on, came between two trees, and lunged. I saw him at the last moment, turned and ONLY was bitten on the back of my neck and shoulders. The owner came rushing out, corralled the dog, got me home, then to the dr. Little harm, no foul, right?

2 years later, the dog broke free, mauled our letter carrier, who almost bled to death, and was in bad shape for many weeks. I went to testify about the dog, who had a reputation already. They put the dog down.

Whose life does a dog owner want to play with?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

. A bite on the arm is not endangering the life of any adult male.
    Nonsense. I take blood thinners and a bite on the arm could be very life endangering.

Also...Army cop did a good thing by yelling at the owner. These irresponsible dog owners should be chastised by the public for their mistake. Dangerous dogs slip by their owners and get loose and this is why the aggressive, dangerous breeds are a bad thing in a neighborhood.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

... A bite on the arm is not endangering the life of any adult male.
    People who have been bitten by dogs, on the arm, as well as ER trauma staff would very much beg to differ.

Links to supporting evidence imagery that are not for the faint of heart...

"Dog bite to forearm: A pitbull bite to the right forearm with visible damage of the skin, muscles & tendons. The radius and ulna were also fractured."
    http://www.trauma.org/index.php/main/image/546/C4

http://leerburg.com/dogbites.htm

"War Photographer Stacy Pearsall Mauled By Dog"
    http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/.../pearsall.html

A person may not be killed in the immediate by a dog bit to the arm, that action though very much can and does for many people result in very serious debilitating and even long term life altering irreversible injury.

I personally would not feel badly nor hesitate to shoot a canine so as to stop it from being an immediate threat.
    No way I'm going to endure bite to the arm if it is at all possible for me to avoid as much.

Dogs are easily repaired and/or replaced.
    Human beings not so much.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Glad everything turned out ok for you Armycop! Sounds like the wife helped out very well. You two make a good team!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links